I think my fan is making weird noises

Donut417
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,

Just wanted to update this thread. I think the noise was coming from my airwick air refresher thingy so my room doesn't smell like something died in it. I think it was nearing empty and was making noises. Only because the noise occurred when both pc and server was off being cleaned. The good news is, the server's front intake filter is clean again. So at least its getting fresh air. I also moved it from a shelf under my desk to a small cabinet I have beside my desk, hopefully that will help make maintenance easier. 

I know for a fact my PSU fan is failing, its been failing for probably over a year. Some times it spins very slowly, I think the bearing is going on it. My machine is starting to make "Farting" noises. Is that just sign of the fan failing? Or do you think its something else? The fans are the only mechanical components in this machine, as storage is an SSD. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Yea, it's about to fail. My 390x would make "farting" noises when I would boot, few months later the fans totally failed. 

Don't know about the "farting noises", but how long have you had the PSU since new?

But if it's struggles and is slower than it should be (like testing it's fan speed vs rated fan speed), then yes the bearing or whatever it uses might having issues. If there is a lot of dust intake or by lifespan it might need a cleaning inside of the fan which I think removes the warranty, but maybe the warranty can help you out from the brand you bought from.

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

, but how long have you had the PSU since new?

PSU was purchased in February of 2013. I think the warranty is long gone. 

6 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

If there is a lot of dust intake or by lifespan it might need a cleaning inside of the fan

The issue is there is no good way of getting at the fan to clean it. I WILL NOT open the PSU, not taking that kind of chance. 

I guess Ill just need to start looking at building a new Plex server. Because I need to down size the physical size of the server due to limited physical space in my room. So Ill be going from a Full ATI to a mini ITX to help save space. 

Id really like to be able to build one machine that can handle gaming and Plex but Not sure if that would be cost effective / do able. 

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

At 9k posts, you should know we have more subforums than just General Discussion and Off Topic. Use them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

At 9k posts, you should know we have more subforums than just General Discussion and Off Topic. Use them.

Wasnt sure what sub forum. Was going to put it in Cooling. So either way you might have had to move it regardless. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Wasnt sure what sub forum. Was going to put it in Cooling. So either way you might have had to move it regardless. 

If its between two correct ones, its not gonna be moved.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just wanted to update this thread. I think the noise was coming from my airwick air refresher thingy so my room doesn't smell like something died in it. I think it was nearing empty and was making noises. Only because the noise occurred when both pc and server was off being cleaned. The good news is, the server's front intake filter is clean again. So at least its getting fresh air. I also moved it from a shelf under my desk to a small cabinet I have beside my desk, hopefully that will help make maintenance easier.