Ryzen 5600x - ihs thermal conductivity?

AlexGhe
Go to solution Solved by AngryBeaver,
5 minutes ago, AlexGhe said:

For case fans I have as follows:

Front fan: NF-A14 PWM with low noise adaptor

back fan: NF-S12A PWM with low noise adaptor.

The only fan in my case without low noise adaptor is the cpu cooler fan, because at base speed it's completely silent even without the adaptor, being inside the case.

After a little more digging through reviews and benchmarks it looks like your temps are perfectly in line. If you really are concerned you could disable pbo, but then you would be leaving performance on the table.

If I was you I would do thr undervolting tweaks to see if that helps. Chances are your temps and cpu clocks will all see a slight improvement.

I just purchased a new Ryzen 5600x CPU and I already have a Noctua NH-D15S cooler that I'm going to pair it with.

My question is what is the thermal conductivity of the integrated heat spreader of this cpu? What is the point of diminishing returns for the thermal paste (W/mk)?

I do not want to go liquid metal cooling because I have no experience with it, I've never even applied it, but I want a build as silent as possible, absolute goal being to never hear a sound even when gaming.

I'm currently using MX-4 and the temps go to 70-75 degrees celsius under load and fans start spinning up, so I want something better.

I could tweak the fan curve, but I want to be kind to my equipment.

19 minutes ago, AlexGhe said:

I just purchased a new Ryzen 5600x CPU and I already have a Noctua NH-D15S cooler that I'm going to pair it with.

My question is what is the thermal conductivity of the integrated heat spreader of this cpu? What is the point of diminishing returns for the thermal paste (W/mk)?

I do not want to go liquid metal cooling because I have no experience with it, I've never even applied it, but I want a build as silent as possible, absolute goal being to never hear a sound even when gaming.

I'm currently using MX-4 and the temps go to 70-75 degrees celsius under load and fans start spinning up, so I want something better.

I could tweak the fan curve, but I want to be kind to my equipment.

Unless you are buying the cheap tubs of thermal paste the difference in temps are very small.

The MX-4 isn't going to be the issue. If you feel temps are high then you can always do a remount to see if that is/was the issue, but those temps don't seem too bad to me.

What is the ambient temp in your room? Anyways the fans on that CPU cooler are pretty quiet. The ramping issue is more than likely from your case fans. So tweaking your cpu cooler curve while leveling out the ones for your case could help with noise levels.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Unless you are buying the cheap tubs of thermal paste the difference in temps are very small.

The MX-4 isn't going to be the issue. If you feel temps are high then you can always do a remount to see if that is/was the issue, but those temps don't seem too bad to me.

What is the ambient temp in your room? Anyways the fans on that CPU cooler are pretty quiet. The ramping issue is more than likely from your case fans. So tweaking your cpu cooler curve while leveling out the ones for your case could help with noise levels.

The only fan in my case without low noise adaptor is the cpu cooler fan, because at base speed it's completely silent even without the adaptor, being inside the case.

5 minutes ago, AlexGhe said:

After a little more digging through reviews and benchmarks it looks like your temps are perfectly in line. If you really are concerned you could disable pbo, but then you would be leaving performance on the table.

If I was you I would do thr undervolting tweaks to see if that helps. Chances are your temps and cpu clocks will all see a slight improvement.

Don’t know if it helps, I have a 5800x and Asus x570 CH hero.  Messed around with PBO, etc, but ended up getting my best results with a 4.85Ghz all core and 1.32v on the cpu (LLC level 4)and 1.1v SOC.  Max temps under aida64 is 64 degrees with custom loop and ambient of 30 degrees Celsius.  

PBO would hit 90’s easily and not get above 4.5Ghz