Rate it, and Some Components needed.

Yes, OC'ing "can" reduce the lifespan... but in reality these suckers are made to run a long time. The main thing, don't go crazy on the volts. Intel recommend not to run anything over 1.4V on a 7/24 OC and even at that voltage, you would be generating a LOT of heat... 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I might push the 3930k as far as it can go, but does that have any drawbacks? I heard that OC'ing your CPU can reduce it's lifespan... Also, how does the motherboard temps affect the CPU clocks? Also, is the stock cooler on it loud, and by loud, I mean 22 or more decibels.

un-necessary over-voltage can diminish the life-span, yes.

keeping the 24/7 below 1.35v is ten year easy street. 1.45v does shrink the death stamp

closer, but no real data, yet. most for a daily driver air or water use a 10-20% over-volt

and make the multi work in that range.

h2o blocks on VRM is high voltage and RAM clocking stuff. others generally use it for

looks, like RAM coolers for the looks only... no one runs 1.8v RAM voltages anymore.

airdeano

Yes, OC'ing "can" reduce the lifespan... but in reality these suckers are made to run a long time. The main thing, don't go crazy on the volts. Intel recommend not to run anything over 1.4V on a 7/24 OC and even at that voltage, you would be generating a LOT of heat... 

How much is a LOT of heat? 90c?

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

If I am going for a 4.8 (hopefully, if not 4.6 then) OC, will I need to have a waterblock for the mobo, and what is the best voltage for the 4.6 - 4.8 Ghz OC?

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

How much is a LOT of heat? 90c?

frickin too hot! by 10° safety margin of 80° for headroom.

although the TJMax is 91° (thermal throttling) and the TCase is 66.8°

for 4.6 i've seen from 1.43-1.51vcore ('bout 70-78° h2o)

and 4.8 1.48-1.525vcore ('bout 76°-88° h2o).

in real world usage, the 4.4GHz 1.35vcore is single digit performance

percentage in benchmarks difference. I wouldn't worry so much about

temps (although they will be quite warm) more so the voltage..

airdeano