Is buying 1440p even worth it right now?

Emu

I'm planning to get a new monitor, but is it even worth getting 1440p 144hz 27" right now or should I wait for 4k 144hz 27" to become cheaper and the next graphics cards as I can't even get one right now?

Depends on if you want to upgrade now or later. It might take a few more years for good 4K 144Hz monitors to be more affordable. Atm the LG 27GN950, which is a gold standard for 4K 144Hz monitors is around $800-$900. The best 1440p 144Hz monitors like the LG 27GN850 and MSI MAG274QRF-QD are sitting at around $400-$500 right now.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Emu said:

I'm planning to get a new monitor, but is it even worth getting 1440p 144hz 27" right now or should I wait for 4k 144hz 27" to become cheaper and the next graphics cards as I can't even get one right now?

4k @ 27" is partly beyond resonable, but what ever

I imagine hardware that can stably push it will be expensive in a few years in the future, (Valhala cannot even be done at 60fps on 3090)

If you have the money for the monitor and a beastly GPU and you have eyes to see the difference, maybe

I personally think 1440p 144hz at the moment is good, but future proofing is more,

I would go 4k, 144hz and lower the res to 1440, and wait for the hardware to come

2 minutes ago, Spudwell06 said:

I imagine hardware that can stably push it will be expensive in a few years in the future, (Valhala cannot even be done at 60fps on 3090)

Well somehow my 3080 has absolutely no problem running Valhalla and other modern games at 4K 60+ FPS. 🤔

(In the massive 40 Game benchmark from Hardware Unboxed the 3080 actually averaged at 90 FPS at 4K)

While i'd also say that 4K is not a big upgrade from 1440p, i have never seen a 4K 27" screen with my own eyes. I also plan to get a 27GN950 and see if it's worth it. Everyone that has this monitor says it is definetly an upgrade over 1440p. Currently the only 4K display i have is my 55" TV.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

4 hours ago, Spudwell06 said:

4k @ 27" is partly beyond resonable, but what ever

If you have the money for the monitor and a beastly GPU and you have eyes to see the difference, maybe

I personally think 1440p 144hz at the moment is good, but future proofing is more,

I would go 4k, 144hz and lower the res to 1440, and wait for the hardware to come

But 1440p on 4K screen doesnt looks sharp as 1440p native monitor.