QUICK REPASTING spit some mad facts my friends!

Ravioli-Ravioli

Hey just reposted my laptop and idol was fine but games were throttling on my cpu and

when I opened it up for a repaste it looked like this; tech tips plz

recommendations for when I’m repasting rn

F1518512-E5D8-42A0-9EE8-D8B11B1F3002.jpeg

AB8F81D7-F6A7-4751-8316-1BB7FA9E2A45.jpeg

EBF7698E-DB36-4BCD-9EED-F1B011865AEA.jpeg

94693882-79D7-4FFD-88B9-C692CEC6FFBA.jpeg

BC6A248A-F86F-4AEA-99DB-DED46EEAEFD1.jpeg

00BA7FA3-6E0A-4289-82D8-6C9C753EB936.jpeg

AE348D44-EDA5-461B-B6D5-ACEE1AED2C15.jpeg

Okay if I'm reading it right you're asking for help with what to do. This'll explain that. Otherwise, this probably won't help you and you should make your questions more clear.

First you're going to wipe all that off, a paper towel or microfiber towel should be fine, first you'll want to wipe off the big chunks with a dry towel, then if you want to use alcohol apply a small amount to the towel you'll be wiping it with and wipe off the chips. After, there should be a small silver rectangle on each chip- that's the die. After, Iirc You'll want to apply thermal paste directly on the center of that silver rectangle, enough to make a sphere that's perhaps 1/2 the size of a pea. After, You'll want to carefully install the heatspreaders back on top of each one, lowering them from directly above them going only down, and you'll want to screw the spreader down in a 'x' pattern slowly- I'll just do a little sketch below to demonstrate

0                      0
       ______

|          |

----------
0                       0 

Each one of these is a screw hole. A ' * ' will resemble a screw. The rectangle in the center is the just a representation of the heatspreader.

______

|          |

----------

1. Screw in one hole, just do a few rotations. Then, 

______

|          |

----------

0                       * 

2. Screw in the other side as shown, just a few rotations again. Then, repeat the process with the other two holes

______

|          |

----------

3. Now all the screws should be barely in. Screw the screws in in the pattern that you just did, spinning the screw just a few times around before moving on to the next, until all of them are in. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

You put way too much on, obviously. All you need is a rice grain size drop.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

You put way too much on, obviously. All you need is a rice grain size drop.

"when I opened it up for a repaste it looked like this"

Also looks like the thermal paste is already smushed, I'm assuming that that was the factory's doing, otherwise might've been him from a while ago. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

7 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Okay if I'm reading it right you're asking for help with what to do. This'll explain that. Otherwise, this probably won't help you and you should make your questions more clear.

First you're going to wipe all that off, a paper towel or microfiber towel should be fine, first you'll want to wipe off the big chunks with a dry towel, then if you want to use alcohol apply a small amount to the towel you'll be wiping it with and wipe off the chips. After, there should be a small silver rectangle on each chip- that's the die. After, Iirc You'll want to apply thermal paste directly on the center of that silver rectangle, enough to make a sphere that's perhaps 1/2 the size of a pea. After, You'll want to carefully install the heatspreaders back on top of each one, lowering them from directly above them going only down, and you'll want to screw the spreader down in a 'x' pattern slowly- I'll just do a little sketch below to demonstrate

0                      0
       ______

|          |

----------

Each one of these is a screw hole. A ' * ' will resemble a screw. The rectangle in the center is the just a representation of the heatspreader.

______

|          |

----------

1. Screw in one hole, just do a few rotations. Then, 

______

|          |

----------

0                       * 

2. Screw in the other side as shown, just a few rotations again. Then, repeat the process with the other two holes

______

|          |

----------

3. Now all the screws should be barely in. Screw the screws in in the pattern that you just did, spinning the screw just a few times around before moving on to the next, until all of them are in. 

Wow thank you so much for this, this is exactly what I was looking for sorry I was so vague earlier I was kinna rushing lol whoops. 

im done cleaning is this adequate.

also another major question I have is a manufacture repersentive mentioned once the paste was on the die, I need to “help it” a little by using the spreader and spreading it a little should I bother? 

thanks again for all the help!

Just now, Ravioli-Ravioli said:

Wow thank you so much for this, this is exactly what I was looking for sorry I was so vague earlier I was kinna rushing lol whoops. 

im done cleaning is this adequate.

also another major question I have is a manufacture repersentive mentioned once the paste was on the die, I need to “help it” a little by using the spreader and spreading it a little should I bother? 

thanks again for all the help!

You can do that, but It's not required. The pressure from the heatspreader should evenly distribute it, buuttt there's no real harm in helping it spread a little, but you will want to use a small amount extra because some will stick the the applicator. You can help it along if you want, but it's totally not a must. As for "im done cleaning is this adequate." Did you mean to send a picture? 

5 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

You can do that, but It's not required. The pressure from the heatspreader should evenly distribute it, buuttt there's no real harm in helping it spread a little, but you will want to use a small amount extra because some will stick the the applicator. You can help it along if you want, but it's totally not a must. As for "im done cleaning is this adequate." Did you mean to send a picture? 

Is this a good amount of paste??? my friend thanks again for the tips !!!!

1 minute ago, Ravioli-Ravioli said:

Is this a good amount of paste??? my friend thanks again for the tips !!!!

63340834418__FEC18490-5ADB-4608-815C-BB9400F2F8E8.MOV

Looks pretty good. 

14 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Looks pretty good. 

I GOT IT ON YOO THANN YOU MY INTERNET FRIEND.

one more question I took note of you saying that I needed to only do a few turns on each screw for the initial titaning down when I first put it on.

Should I go back now that I have it on and screw them all on a little tighter or leave them be l??

((Last time I think I may have tightened one down to hard and popped the other one up in the process)) 😕

9 minutes ago, Ravioli-Ravioli said:

I GOT IT ON YOO THANN YOU MY INTERNET FRIEND.

one more question I took note of you saying that I needed to only do a few turns on each screw for the initial titaning down when I first put it on.

Should I go back now that I have it on and screw them all on a little tighter or leave them be l??

((Last time I think I may have tightened one down to hard and popped the other one up in the process)) 😕

Yes, after your just do a few turns, go through the same motions, screwing in each screw a few rotations until they're fully down. After that, You should be good to go. Make sure not to overtighten though, make sure the screws aren't to difficult to unscrew again. 

Well Dude,

Things look real positive things are alright right off the bad should I wait to boot up any games (should I let the paste "set") or is that not even necessary???

Thanks again for all the help I really appreciate it you're a king really you (and this community has taught me so many valuable things wtf.

Thanks man you just made my moms day i appreciate that :}

--- more bonus question computer r struggles to boot but only when the power cord with that big battery surge protector thing is plugged in. Should I replace my battery right away or is that super risky

You should have spread a thin coat across the entire die surface.

-> Moved to Cooling

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv