One game install for two OSes

Dragonwinged

So i'm wondering, if you have a program installed on a drive that is accesible by both a linux and windows operating system on one computer, does Wine make any serious changes to the file structure that would make the game unplayable in Windows. What I want to know is, can you play the same application in both Windows and Linux, or do you need two copies for each OS?

Yes you can, just point to the same install folder.

The game will only make changes to the save / config data (usually stored in the documents).

Some application cant work this way, you need to install it again.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I've never gotten any of my Steam games to work from NTFS partition under Linux, but YMMV.

Considering that Linux indeed uses different file system, and that not all games even support Linux, just pointing to directory won't work just like that. What you can do, is to use Wine to launch Windows versions of games.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Considering that Linux indeed uses different file system, and that not all games even support Linux, just pointing to directory won't work just like that. What you can do, is to use Wine to launch Windows versions of games.

Reading and writing to NTFS is actually not an issue, and if you were to add the same Steam library everything would get recognized fine and Steam would download necessary Proton stuff - for some reason they just won't work at all, at least for me. If you were to copy the files to e.g., ext4 partition they'd work (assuming they work under Proton in the first place).