Is a i5 10600kf a good upgrade from a i7 7700 non k?

Go to solution Solved by Analog,
7 hours ago, OwayBaway said:

Should I expect better performance and will it eliminate all bottlenecks as I already have a good kit of memory? 
will it be a balanced system

I wouldn't say that a RTX 2070 is being vastly bottlenecked by an i7 7700. But yes, the 10600KF is quite a bit faster compared to your current processor. The system will be balanced and if you decide to upgrade to a better card in the future, like a RTX 3080 or a 6800XT it will go along just fine with the 10600KF. 

39 minutes ago, mrigmo said:

don't buy intel garbage processors anymore, holy crap, this is a tech tips forum. Get with it people. Apple makes better CPUs then intel and they are a design company that doesn't own a single fab, and they spend the majority of their money on advertising. Intel COULD have done things differently but unfortunately they set the whole world back at least a decade. Stop giving them your money, they don't deserve it.

It's not fair to say that Intel's current gen processors are garbage. In fact they are pretty good, especially for gaming! Are they competitive, that's an entirely different question. The OP is asking a simple question here, namely is the 10600KF a good enough upgrade compared to his old 7700. The answer to that question is yes. Also, do keep in mind that Ryzen 5000 series is not readily available everywhere and where it is it has quite a markup due to the high demand. 

I am running an rtx 2070 super and I want to eliminate any bottleneck

image.thumb.png.3ae29b3d1b6a89d1b7e3837021e50910.pngi put a screenshot from user benchmark and was wondering if this is a big enough image.jpeg.a0d648b16b859ad5f792034f3c43ac8f.jpegupgrade that i should pull the trigger, I was also wondering if there is a good motherboard, that looks good, like integrated io shield and coverings for io and vrms, Kinda like the style of this strix mobo shown

Just now, OwayBaway said:

I am running an rtx 2070 super and I want to eliminate any bottleneck

image.thumb.png.3ae29b3d1b6a89d1b7e3837021e50910.pngi put a screenshot from user benchmark and was wondering if this is a big enough image.jpeg.a0d648b16b859ad5f792034f3c43ac8f.jpegupgrade that i should pull the trigger, I was also wondering if there is a good motherboard, that looks good, like integrated io shield and coverings for io and vrms, Kinda like the style of this strix mobo shown

oh and should i get the 10600k or kf, what's the difference?

oh and should i get the 10600k or kf, what's the difference?

The KF doesn't have an iGPU, the K does.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

The KF doesn't have an iGPU, the K does.

ok thats what i thought

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Ignore userbenchmark.
It's crap.

but is it still a good upgrade?

but is it still a good upgrade?

If you get a good-value motherboard with it (I don't know which to recommend, sorry 😞), yes.

It's got 2 more cores and a higher boost clock.

It's up to you whether you want the K or KF.

elephants

5 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

If you get a good-value motherboard with it (I don't know which to recommend, sorry 😞), yes.

It's got 2 more cores and a higher boost clock.

It's up to you whether you want the K or KF.

Should I expect better performance and will it eliminate all bottlenecks as I already have a good kit of memory? 

for the motherboard, just pick some with the features you want in your price point and look at some reviews and vrm temp test ...

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

don't buy intel garbage processors anymore, holy crap, this is a tech tips forum. Get with it people. Apple makes better CPUs then intel and they are a design company that doesn't own a single fab, and they spend the majority of their money on advertising. Intel COULD have done things differently but unfortunately they set the whole world back at least a decade. Stop giving them your money, they don't deserve it.

7 hours ago, OwayBaway said:

I wouldn't say that a RTX 2070 is being vastly bottlenecked by an i7 7700. But yes, the 10600KF is quite a bit faster compared to your current processor. The system will be balanced and if you decide to upgrade to a better card in the future, like a RTX 3080 or a 6800XT it will go along just fine with the 10600KF. 

39 minutes ago, mrigmo said:

It's not fair to say that Intel's current gen processors are garbage. In fact they are pretty good, especially for gaming! Are they competitive, that's an entirely different question. The OP is asking a simple question here, namely is the 10600KF a good enough upgrade compared to his old 7700. The answer to that question is yes. Also, do keep in mind that Ryzen 5000 series is not readily available everywhere and where it is it has quite a markup due to the high demand. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

4 hours ago, mrigmo said:

ya i cant afford 5th gen ryzen, and going to ryzen 5 3600 just isnt much of an upgrade

What resolution/refresh are you playing at?

I've got an i7-8700k at 5ghz and an i3-10100 system - (similar to 10600k vs i7-7700)

If you're playing at 60hz any resolution, you won't really notice a difference. 

Better to upgrade your display first.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Just now, Mister Woof said:

What resolution/refresh are you playing at

1080p 144hz

also im trying to do more multitasking like recording and stuff like that while playing games like cod cold war

3 minutes ago, OwayBaway said:

1080p 144hz

also im trying to do more multitasking like recording and stuff like that while playing games like cod cold war

I'd honestly try to get the 10700k if you can afford it. You're already going pretty high buy in with a Z board and cooler with the 10600k.

There's already some gains on 8 cores over 6 cores, and it will feel like a bigger upgrade over what you already have.

I'm on my 8700k at 5ghz and often find my CPU at 80-90% utilization in new games.

Personally, for a higher end gaming machine, I'd want more than 6 cores.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

17 hours ago, mrigmo said:

Intel shafted people for years and AMD's cost to produce the 5000 series is the same as the 3000 series, but they chose to price it $100 more.

None of these companies deserve brand loyalty. They are both scum. Buy what is good value. Go past the label.

THERE IS NO BAD PRODUCT, JUST BAD PRICING