PC restarts when playing games

Engine9

Hello!

I have a custom build that i built a year ago with a Ryzen 5 3600, Asus X570 F strix Mobo, Evga 2080 super black, 16 gigs of Trident z Neo 3600mhz, Kraken X63 and a Evga Rm850x PSU.

About a month ago i upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 9 5900x and my AIO to a Kraken Z63, i also added 2 more stick of ram (Same exact speed and timings and brand) and some cable mod cables.

Now everytime i launch my favorite game (rogue company) my PC restarts. At first i thought it was CPU temps so i locked it at 4200 Mhz and 1.2 volts and they're much more stable but still restarts.

I thought i got some bad cables from CableMods so i put the stock cables back on and it still restarts. Next i thought maybe some bad Ram but it still restarts.

My last idea is a bad power supply, so i ordered a new one and it should be here in a week or so. Ive ran multiple benchmarks using Heaven, 3dMark and Cinebench and i can pass all test fine but i cant think of any other reason why my PC would just restart after 10min of playing. Some games im able to play for longer but it still inevitably restarts but with Rogue Company it almost instant.

Anyone have any ideas i should try?

39 minutes ago, Engine9 said:

Hello!

I have a custom build that i built a year ago with a Ryzen 5 3600, Asus X570 F strix Mobo, Evga 2080 super black, 16 gigs of Trident z Neo 3600mhz, Kraken X63 and a Evga Rm850x PSU.

About a month ago i upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 9 5900x and my AIO to a Kraken Z63, i also added 2 more stick of ram (Same exact speed and timings and brand) and some cable mod cables.

Now everytime i launch my favorite game (rogue company) my PC restarts. At first i thought it was CPU temps so i locked it at 4200 Mhz and 1.2 volts and they're much more stable but still restarts.

I thought i got some bad cables from CableMods so i put the stock cables back on and it still restarts. Next i thought maybe some bad Ram but it still restarts.

My last idea is a bad power supply, so i ordered a new one and it should be here in a week or so. Ive ran multiple benchmarks using Heaven, 3dMark and Cinebench and i can pass all test fine but i cant think of any other reason why my PC would just restart after 10min of playing. Some games im able to play for longer but it still inevitably restarts but with Rogue Company it almost instant.

Anyone have any ideas i should try?

If solving a heat issue helped but didn’t completely fix it could mean ther is still a heat issue.  There’s a couple of hardware things that could do it too and it could be one of them, but with the given info there’s no way to tell.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If solving a heat issue helped but didn’t completely fix it could mean ther is still a heat issue.  There’s a couple of hardware things that could do it too and it could be one of them, but with the given info there’s no way to tell.

Locking the CPU solved the CPU temps jumping up and down but i still have the same issue from before so i dont think it was the issue.

What other info can i provide that would help diagnose my issue? 

14 minutes ago, Engine9 said:

Locking the CPU solved the CPU temps jumping up and down but i still have the same issue from before so i dont think it was the issue.

What other info can i provide that would help diagnose my issue? 

Well if it’s not a case temp issue memory can just randomly go bad.  That could be worth checking. Standard rigamorole.  Run memtest86 to see if there is a gross issue, but it’s not super good at subtlety so the old school method of slapping a single stick in slot one and see if it still crashes remains in use. The other common problem is PSU, but yours is both new and big.  Might do to check it’s quality on the PSU tierlist to see if it’s somehow garbage or something, but if it’s not I don’t see it as a likely issue. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

45 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Well if it’s not a case temp issue memory can just randomly go bad.  That could be worth checking. Standard rigamorole.  Run memtest86 to see if there is a gross issue, but it’s not super good at subtlety so the old school method of slapping a single stick in slot one and see if it still crashes remains in use. The other common problem is PSU, but yours is both new and big.  Might do to check it’s quality on the PSU tierlist to see if it’s somehow garbage or something, but if it’s not I don’t see it as a likely issue. 

So i took out 2 ram sticks and it crashed once initially but hasn't since. I need to run more to make sure it was indeed the issue but i didnt know that ram could cause a PC to restart like that. Im not sure how to identify which of my ram sticks are the new ones and which are old because they're identical so ill probably need to switch them up until i find which ones are causing the crashes and then return them. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, i really hope its the fix i was looking for!

42 minutes ago, Engine9 said:

So i took out 2 ram sticks and it crashed once initially but hasn't since. I need to run more to make sure it was indeed the issue but i didnt know that ram could cause a PC to restart like that. Im not sure how to identify which of my ram sticks are the new ones and which are old because they're identical so ill probably need to switch them up until i find which ones are causing the crashes and then return them. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, i really hope its the fix i was looking for!

Crash after boot is most often memory though lately PSU issues have come up a lot.  Not the only thing they can be but it’s the most common ones

Edited by Bombastinator

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Crash after boot is most often memory though lately PSU issues have come up a lot.  Not the only thing they can be but it’s the most common ones

so i found out that the memory sticks have dates on them, 2 are OCT 2020 and 2 are DEC 2020 so i was able to find the pairs that originally came together but it still restarts...I found out that if i load the game and just sit in training for a bit and then join matches, the games seems to last much much longer...

Meaning if i start the game and jump into a match right away, My PC will restart within 10mins but if i start the game and jump into training mode and mess around for 15-20mins, I was able to play for hours just fine. Temps normal and everything.

Im having a hard time trying to figure out what my problem is. Im just hoping my new PSU fixes it but i have a feeling it wont as my current PSU is relatiivly new

39 minutes ago, Edmond Dantes said:

might be an issue with the video card. did you upgrade the drivers and firmware and stuff,.

I thought that might be an issue too as when i was upgrading my parts, i had too yank on the GPU to get it out.. I was waiting for my last resort to replace the GPU as its easier to find unicorn tears right now but i think i solved it!

Im pretty sure it was a bad memory overclock...I have 3600mhz ram and before i updated the bios in preperation for Ryzen 5000, I used XMP to actually get 3600mhz speed. Well after the bios update, XMP is no longer available so you have to manually set the Mhz and FLCK speed so i did but im guessing i did it wrong or forgot to adjust some other setting...

but I saw in another thread that Ryzen 5000 supports system memory up to 3200mhz so i set it to 3200mhz and 1600 FLCK speed and no issues so far!

30 minutes ago, Engine9 said:

I thought that might be an issue too as when i was upgrading my parts, i had too yank on the GPU to get it out.. I was waiting for my last resort to replace the GPU as its easier to find unicorn tears right now but i think i solved it!

Im pretty sure it was a bad memory overclock...I have 3600mhz ram and before i updated the bios in preperation for Ryzen 5000, I used XMP to actually get 3600mhz speed. Well after the bios update, XMP is no longer available so you have to manually set the Mhz and FLCK speed so i did but im guessing i did it wrong or forgot to adjust some other setting...

but I saw in another thread that Ryzen 5000 supports system memory up to 3200mhz so i set it to 3200mhz and 1600 FLCK speed and no issues so far!

Never mind....still restarting

15 hours ago, Engine9 said:

so i found out that the memory sticks have dates on them, 2 are OCT 2020 and 2 are DEC 2020 so i was able to find the pairs that originally came together but it still restarts...I found out that if i load the game and just sit in training for a bit and then join matches, the games seems to last much much longer...

Meaning if i start the game and jump into a match right away, My PC will restart within 10mins but if i start the game and jump into training mode and mess around for 15-20mins, I was able to play for hours just fine. Temps normal and everything.

Im having a hard time trying to figure out what my problem is. Im just hoping my new PSU fixes it but i have a feeling it wont as my current PSU is relatiivly new

Computer trouble shooting has its sucky aspects.  The video card thing mentioned is possible in a couple different ways.  Making sure you got Current drivers is fast and cheap. the cheapest simplest possible fix should be tried first generally.  The philosophy is generally try the stuff that is fastest and cheapest rather than most likely  (though there is a real value judgement there depending partially on HOW likely) first because if that was the problem and you spent a bunch of time and money when you didn’t have to folks tend to be mad even if they do eventually get the thing working.

14 hours ago, Engine9 said:

If a memory stick fails memtest86 it IS bad.  No question.  If it passes it still might be very subtly bad.  There kinda needs to be a memtest2021 or something.  The problem is a full run of memtest86 is still like 2 hours or something.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same issue as OP. Been at it for hours scouring the internet for a solution. Tried everything except for running Memtest86. Running it now.

4 minutes ago, DannyGambino said:

I'm having the exact same issue as OP. Been at it for hours scouring the internet for a solution. Tried everything except for running Memtest86. Running it now.

“Everthing” takes weeks not hours.   I suggest making your own thread. Good chance you’ll get someone with more knowledge about your hardware than me.  I’m just a user.  All I’ve got to share is oldness.