5700 XT vs 2080 Super in 2021

Lord Boniface

Hey guys,

I currently own a ROG Strid 5700 XT set up with a Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2  

Where I live I can directly trade my GPU for a 2080 Super. 

Would this be a smart thing to do? I know that initially the 5700 XT was much inferior to the 2080S, but that driver updates have significantly narrowed the gap. 

I mainly do ultrawide gaming at 1440P and Video Rendering in After Effects. 

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Lord Boniface said:

Hey guys,

Would this be a smart thing to do? I know that initially the 5700 XT was much inferior to the 2080S, but that driver updates have significantly narrowed the gap. 

Thanks

5700 XT should be about the performance of the RTX 2070(super), so a 2080 super would be more powerful. Question is, how much do you pay for that trade? If nothing, then it doesn't make sense to keep the 5700 XT, I'd swap it immediately.

Edit: I can also get a 2080 Ti Turbo for about an extra 60$, which I’m willing to do. 

Just now, Naijin said:

5700 XT should be about the performance of the RTX 2070(super), so a 2080 super would be more powerful. Question is, how much do you pay for that trade? If nothing, then it doesn't make sense to keep the 5700 XT, I'd swap it immediately.

I wouldn’t have to pay anything. I can also get a 2080 Ti Turbo for about an extra 60$, which I’m willing to do...

1 minute ago, Lord Boniface said:

I wouldn’t have to pay anything. I can also get a 2080 Ti Turbo for about an extra 60$, which I’m willing to do...

Don't get that blower cards are not that great and are very very loud. This card won't boost as high as it will reach thermal limit quicker and from review whilst it is still faster than a well cooled 2080 super the gap is pretty small all whilst the turbo is a lot louder and hotter.

48 minutes ago, Lord Boniface said:

Well, depending on your setup, you could go for a blower card. Yes they make more noise, but still, it's a 2080 Ti. If you have more positive air pressure, a blower could be useful.

On 1/24/2021 at 2:32 PM, Lord Boniface said:

Edit: I can also get a 2080 Ti Turbo for about an extra 60$, which I’m willing to do. 

Well - you could get the 2080 Ti and watercool it - and and if it is "old" enough (before 08/2019) you could also flash an OC-Bios(i.e. 380W KFA2/Galax) and boom... 😉😎

On 1/24/2021 at 8:23 AM, Lord Boniface said:

Hey guys,

Thanks

RTX 2080 S since a 5700 XT was a slightly slower 2070 Super and 2080 S was only marginally better than a 2070 S but $200 more. 

EDIT: if you can get that proposed RTX 2080 Ti for your 5700 XT plus $60 that's a no brainer.  

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42"