ASRock B550 Phantom gaming 4 Nvme SSD

MacSauce

I have a ASRock B550 Phantom gaming 4 board that has a hyper m.2 PCIe gen 4 x4 slot. What ssd would be best for this slot? Just looking for 500gb max to house OS and other resources for fast call up. Not liking to break the bank either. 

How much do you want to spend?

Something like a 980 pro would be about as fast as you can get, but i probalby get a midrange nvme m.2 if it was me.

It really doesn't matter, If you want something cheap go with Crucial or WD, if you want performance go with a Samsung 970 EVO.

As mentioned previously by others, there are multiple good options, it all depends on your budget and the intended application.

If I'm essentially using this ssd as a boot, I would assume 250gb would be much more than sufficient. So even a 980 pro is only $90 at that size. But will I really see a difference if I get a budget one if I'm just using it for boot up? 

1 minute ago, MacSauce said:

If I'm essentially using this ssd as a boot, I would assume 250gb would be much more than sufficient. So even a 980 pro is only $90 at that size. But will I really see a difference if I get a budget one if I'm just using it for boot up? 

you probably won't notice the difference between a budget drive and a high end drive for boot.

I like to keep 500gb for boot so you don't have to worry as much where files go.

Is there much of a difference when it comes to Gen 3 vs Gen 4? Board supports up to Gen 4 but I would assume the price point is higher

15 minutes ago, MacSauce said:

Is there much of a difference when it comes to Gen 3 vs Gen 4? Board supports up to Gen 4 but I would assume the price point is higher

for noticable performance, no you won't notice it for a boot drive. I wouldn't get a gen 4 drive here unless the price is about the same.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

for noticable performance, no you won't notice it for a boot drive. I wouldn't get a gen 4 drive here unless the price is about the same.

I have buddies that run their nvme as a boot drive and will have one or two of their most played games on there as well. If I go 500gb mid tier what would you suggest for both gen 4 vs gen 3? 

1 hour ago, MacSauce said:

I have buddies that run their nvme as a boot drive and will have one or two of their most played games on there as well. If I go 500gb mid tier what would you suggest for both gen 4 vs gen 3? 

Id probalby get a gen 3 drive, as the gen 4 drives make basically no difference in performance. Game and os load times will be about the same.