AMD RYZEN 7 3700X

Anything I should look out for before buying this processor? Looks and sounds promising. Have a Ryzen 5 1600 AF right now, that is on a ASRock B450M motherboard. Also, seen that they are both 65 watt chips( So I'm taking it that my corsair cx450 psu will work for now?) Waiting on gpu prices to come down, then plan on replacing my 1650 super and psu at the same time.

1 minute ago, GroundbreakingCrew9 said:

then plan on replacing my 1650 super and psu at the same time.

450 watts can handle a lot, and the CX450 is a good unit, albeit with only one 8 pin connector. Depending on what GPU you choose, like a 3060, you wouldn't need to upgrade it.

The 3700X is a decent upgrade, one generation improvement, although for a gaming focused PC you could certainly save money and opt for the 3600 instead, and manage the same experience.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

450 watts can handle a lot, and the CX450 is a good unit, albeit with only one 8 pin connector. Depending on what GPU you choose, like a 3060, you wouldn't need to upgrade it.

The 3700X is a decent upgrade, one generation improvement, although for a gaming focused PC you could certainly save money and opt for the 3600 instead, and manage the same experience.

I'd say no to a cx450 handling a 3060 if the spiking of all the current cards is anything to go by causing psu's to trip. But we'll have to see

Otherwise I fully agree with you.

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

a 3600 and 1600 af isn't much difference, or is it?

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I'd say no to a cx450 handling a 3060 if the spiking of all the current cards is anything to go by causing psu's to trip. But we'll have to see

The CX was one of the surprisingly good units for Vega (when you had the appropriate wattage, 550 or 650 depending on the rig) and it could handle the power spikes reasonably well. The rather extreme power spikes seem to end at the 3070, which can survive on a decent 500 or 550 watt power supply, so I would have confidence that OP should try it at least and see how things go.

a 3600 and 1600 af isn't much difference, or is it?

Nearly the same in terms of power draw, same kind of increase in gaming performance when compared to the 3700X. Since the 3600 and 3700X are both Zen 2, they'll have really similar FPS.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

why I just want to make sure and upgrade the gpu with the psu.

2 minutes ago, GroundbreakingCrew9 said:

why I just want to make sure and upgrade the gpu with the psu.

There is a limit to what you can do on a 450w. A 3060 should be possible but wait for reviews first. A 3600 would be a more economic upgrade as gaming performance between it and a 3700x is basically identical.

The CX was one of the surprisingly good units for Vega (when you had the appropriate wattage, 550 or 650 depending on the rig) and it could handle the power spikes reasonably well. The rather extreme power spikes seem to end at the 3070, which can survive on a decent 500 or 550 watt power supply, so I would have confidence that OP should try it at least and see how things go.

Nearly the same in terms of power draw, same kind of increase in gaming performance when compared to the 3700X. Since the 3600 and 3700X are both Zen 2, they'll have really similar FPS.

Yeah, but don't I want more cores and threads? For gaming fps and multitasking?

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

There is a limit to what you can do on a 450w. A 3060 should be possible but wait for reviews first. A 3600 would be a more economic upgrade as gaming performance between it and a 3700x is basically identical.

Just got a 144hz monitor and focuses on making the most out of it. can only run about 120hz right now. with my current set up. But sense the gpu market is well.. you know.. kinda weird right now 

Yeah, but don't I want more cores and threads? For gaming fps and multitasking?

Gaming FPS won't be improved much at all past 6 cores.

When you say multitasking, what do you mean? A chrome window and some discord or spotify open in the background can be handled by a quad core.

Primary PC:

Gaming FPS won't be improved much at all past 6 cores.

When you say multitasking, what do you mean? A chrome window and some discord or spotify open in the background can be handled by a quad core.

Yeah, I mean Spotify playing in the background, and playing cod warzone ( the new call of duty ). I've had to manual go into setting and cap at 60 fps so I wouldn't get frame drops when playing real "fast" 

The 3700x is a great chip.  Is it $130 better than a Ryzen 3600?  Probably not.  But, I wouldn't buy a 6c processor at all.  6c is getting kind of long in the tooth.  Buying a Ryzen 3600 was a good idea 2 years ago, not now in 2021.  The 3700x still makes sense because it is 8c, though I wish the prices would have dropped under $300.

39 minutes ago, 1982 Original said:

The 3700x is a great chip.  Is it $130 better than a Ryzen 3600?  Probably not.  But, I wouldn't buy a 6c processor at all.  6c is getting kind of long in the tooth.  Buying a Ryzen 3600 was a good idea 2 years ago, not now in 2021.  The 3700x still makes sense because it is 8c, though I wish the prices would have dropped under $300.

Right, What I was thinking. Bestbuy.com has em for $329.99

But six core is cool n all. Coming from a four core 3200G, 1600G performed a bit better, but overall just made me hungry for a 8c processor. I fully understand I probably could get away with a 3600. But I feel like I'd be shooting myself in the foot.