Does rtx help with art programs?

wafflewafflewaffle
Go to solution Solved by papajo,
34 minutes ago, wafflewafflewaffle said:

Hey, i havent found any info about this, but does rtx have any benefits for using art programs like corel painter or photoshop? If no, then should i even look at an rtx if im mainly going to use art programs?

RTX certainly not because it is a game gimmick/feature.

What you would like to ask (I assume) is if the rt/tensor cores on a RTX card are utilized in such programs聽

The answer is no. 馃槢

Well maybe in certain specific applications if you are doing pathtracing/raytracing/deeplearning stuff with particular code but I doubt this is the case because if you were doing such specialized stuff you already would know the answer to your question. Coredraw聽 do not use RT/tensor cores聽

Blender does on specific workflows (Optix) but its either tensor/rt cores or GPU cores (you can not use both simultaneously) and in such workflows it will be slightly faster than using the GPU cores.聽

Photoshop again does make use of the rt/tensor cores but only in specific features such as AI skin cleaning (or something like that)聽

Premiere again only in AI related features.聽

And they are just a few of them it is not something you are going to use every time if ever.聽

Hey, i havent found any info about this, but does rtx have any benefits for using art programs like corel painter or photoshop? If no, then should i even look at an rtx if im mainly going to use art programs?

Sadly Gamer Nexus hasn't made a 2020 video on the subject so we'll have to use the 2019's one:

This should give you an idea how certain programs scales in performance when using hardware acceleration from a video card, but as rule of thumb you should first make sure you got the best CPU you can afford.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~|Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~|聽MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:聽 SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~|Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini|~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT聽 |~|Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro|~|聽MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM:聽32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference)|~| PSU:聽Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum|~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume)聽|~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000|~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD聽|~|Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600|~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2聽(center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz|~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit聽|~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS;聽programming and daily driver)

34 minutes ago, wafflewafflewaffle said:

RTX certainly not because it is a game gimmick/feature.

What you would like to ask (I assume) is if the rt/tensor cores on a RTX card are utilized in such programs聽

The answer is no. 馃槢

Well maybe in certain specific applications if you are doing pathtracing/raytracing/deeplearning stuff with particular code but I doubt this is the case because if you were doing such specialized stuff you already would know the answer to your question. Coredraw聽 do not use RT/tensor cores聽

Blender does on specific workflows (Optix) but its either tensor/rt cores or GPU cores (you can not use both simultaneously) and in such workflows it will be slightly faster than using the GPU cores.聽

Photoshop again does make use of the rt/tensor cores but only in specific features such as AI skin cleaning (or something like that)聽

Premiere again only in AI related features.聽

And they are just a few of them it is not something you are going to use every time if ever.聽