5 Displays.....how to?

Kid4738

Ok, I have  a generally pre-built (with slight mods) PC.  CyberPower GMA6400CPG.  Main specs are Ryzen 7 2700x, GeForce GTZ 1070Ti (open to upgrade once any inventory opens up).

I have an Asus VG27A as primary and an Asus VG245 as my secondary right now.

Will be adding another Asus VG27A shortly and flipping the VG245 vertical.

The 27" monitors have DP and HDMI (obviously prefer to use DP), and no daisy chain as I can tell.  The 24" is HDMI only.

I also have a 55" LCD TV above the monitors (HDMI).  Would like the ability to duplicate screens or, on rare occasion, to send a unique feed to the TV (when people are in the room).

Also have an Oculus Rift, which requies a DP.

So, I have 2 monitors that should use DP and an Couus that requires it.  I also have amonitor and TV that can only use HDMI.  My GPU has 3 DP and 1 HDMI.  The CPU has no GPU on-board, so the HDMI port is useless.  So, I'm short one HDMI.  And I REALLY dont want to be flipping cables when I use the Oculus.

Had been looking into MSTs, but not sure that's my answer.  Any suggestions to solve are greatly appreciated!

@Electronics Wizardy - really?  That used to be the way but lately I've read that everyone is shying away from second GPUs because most programs dont support them

If you want to run all of them at the same time, you'll need another GPU. 

MST won't work as Nvidia has software locked their GTX/RTX GPUs to 4 displays max, regardless of configuration. 

An option is to upgrade to one of AMD's offerings as they do not software lock them. I'm running 5 monitors off a single RX 5700XT myself with an MST hub, no issues. You can convert between DP and HDMI and vice versa easily with inexpensive adaptors, or DP to HDMI cables so that's not really an issue.

Just now, Kid4738 said:

@Electronics Wizardy - really?  That used to be the way but lately I've read that everyone is shying away from second GPUs because most programs dont support them

Thats for sli and gaming on 2 gpus. Using a second gpu for extra monitors works just fine, and is fully supported.

Just now, Kid4738 said:

People are moving away from SLI, but not multiple GPUs. Many programs and general usage support multi-GPU setups, it's just games that are more or less dropped from support in SLI/Crossfire configs.

4 minutes ago, Kid4738 said:

Plenty of people use multiple GPUs for adding additional display outputs. The problems come in when trying to use multiple GPUs together for increased performance. That doesn't work well (if at all) anymore, but multiple GPUs for adding displays certainly does. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

People are moving away from SLI, but not multiple GPUs. Many programs and general usage support multi-GPU setups, it's just games that are more or less dropped from support in SLI/Crossfire configs.

To add to this point, SLI also disables video out on slave cards, if I recall correctly

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

To add to this point, SLI also disables video out on slave cards, if I recall correctly

It does, yes. You can only use the video outputs on the primary card. Not sure on Crossfire, but both are pretty much dead anyway so beside the point. 

-> Moved to Graphics Cards

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv