Extreme packet loss And no internet while playing online games

Hello Guys and Girls!, 

Recently i just built a new PC and it worked perfect for 3 hours before i left it turned on to install games, and then when i came back i started having extreme packetloss and unstable internet connection when i try to play online games such as Apex Legends. PUGB etc. It should be noted that i could play the games before i left my pc turned on. When i download games i have a great connection (Upwards of 270 mb/s) but then when i start the game i dont get over 1 mb/s and the internet goes away and comes back every so often. Is it a setting that has changed or an issue with my motherboard, ethernet cable or anything else? Is there a way to prioritise my internet connection for gaming?

Everyone else in my family has a stable connection but mine is a bit poo poo. 

When i idle my pc the internet also has random spikes. (look at picture that follows). These spikes go away when i download games then they reappear. I will also show the graph from when i download games and when i play them.

1st picture is idle 

2nd picture is when downloading games 

3rd is when playing games

as you can see my internet goes from 200 mb/s when downloading a game to under 100 kb/s when trying to play it. 

I have tried to find a solution through google and other forums but i havent found an answer to my problem so i hope you can help me :).

PS. English is not my first language so there might be typos

d38617666ee0abeb2d19922de40d0701.png

39b9a45596a4e45429054b7f7d40ccfa.png

30858372270b4211058d457941948711.png

9 minutes ago, TomtenExE said:

Hello Guys and Girls!, 

Recently i just built a new PC and it worked perfect for 3 hours before i left it turned on to install games, and then when i came back i started having extreme packetloss and unstable internet connection when i try to play online games such as Apex Legends. PUGB etc. It should be noted that i could play the games before i left my pc turned on. When i download games i have a great connection (Upwards of 270 mb/s) but then when i start the game i dont get over 1 mb/s and the internet goes away and comes back every so often. Is it a setting that has changed or an issue with my motherboard, ethernet cable or anything else? Is there a way to prioritise my internet connection for gaming?

When i idle my pc the internet also has random spikes. (look at picture that follows). These spikes go away when i download games then they reappear. I will also show the graph from when i download games and when i play them.

1st picture is idle 

as you can see my internet goes from 200 mb/s when downloading a game to under 100 kb/s when trying to play it. 

I have tried to find a solution through google and other forums but i havent found an answer to my problem so i hope you can help me :).

You don't need a game to be downloading while you play. Once it's installed, even an online game doesn't use much network activity. Are you sure about packet loss or just worried about the low traffic usage?

Random spikes in network traffic are completely normal. Windows will make a connection to the internet from time to time, so will other installed apps. When gaming, you don't need to download the entire game again (you already did at 200 Mbps+) so the only connectivity you see while playing those games is where your character is (upload) and where other characters are (download). (the easy explanation)

Hmm, what could be the issue then? Is it my ssd or something else that causes me to have lag spikes and at times kicks me back too the start screen? What do you think?

16 minutes ago, TomtenExE said:

Hello Guys and Girls!, 

1st picture is idle 

7 minutes ago, Naijin said:

You don't need a game to be downloading while you play. Once it's installed, even an online game doesn't use much network activity. Are you sure about packet loss or just worried about the low traffic usage?

Random spikes in network traffic are completely normal. Windows will make a connection to the internet from time to time, so will other installed apps. When gaming, you don't need to download the entire game again (you already did at 200 Mbps+) so the only connectivity you see while playing those games is where your character is (upload) and where other characters are (download). (the easy explanation)

Hmm, what could be the issue then? Is it my ssd or something else that causes me to have lag spikes and at times kicks me back too the start screen? What do you think?

5 minutes ago, TomtenExE said:

Your connection looks fine, however, task manager isn't a good indication of connection stability.

When playing the game, open a command prompt in the background and use "ping -t 8.8.8.8" for example. This will ping to Google continuously. Look at the "time=" value and try to find an average, let's say 20ms. This will be 20 milliseconds that the packet is on it's way. If you experience a lag spike, look at that value again. If pings are suddenly 100ms or 150ms, your ISP connection isn't stable and you could create a ticket. If it's still the same value, it's not your own network connection at fault.

11 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Your connection looks fine, however, task manager isn't a good indication of connection stability.

When playing the game, open a command prompt in the background and use "ping -t 8.8.8.8" for example. This will ping to Google continuously. Look at the "time=" value and try to find an average, let's say 20ms. This will be 20 milliseconds that the packet is on it's way. If you experience a lag spike, look at that value again. If pings are suddenly 100ms or 150ms, your ISP connection isn't stable and you could create a ticket. If it's still the same value, it's not your own network connection at fault.

When i tried this whilst playing i was at and average at 1-2 ms and rarely it jumped to 15ms, and as for now my issues has seem to figure itself out but there is no doubt in my mind that says it will come back. But thanks for your help! 

Hey I'm not a genius when it comes to PC's but have you checked your router or pc to see the ping packet data size is not too large. Mine is set 1500 any higher leads to packet loss. I hope someone here may be able to explain it better if they know what I'm talking about.

Try this video is won't make your net any faster but my help with your ping issue. Should take you 10 mind max to fix.

Edited by Hudayfah
Adding YouTube link