Is my gpu underperforming

Avocado417

I recently got a new xfx rx 5600 xt and I was expecting higher frame rates than i am getting right now. I have been playing games such as fortnite on all low 900p with 100% 3d res and only getting around 110 fps. Does anyone know why? my monitor is 60 hz and my pc is 

i3-9100f

Gigabyte b365m ds3h

8gb crucial ram 2400 mhz

240 gb ssd and 120 gb ssd

thermaltake smart 500w psu

Not sure if this matters but my case is cooler master: masterbox q300l

If your monitor is 60hz then this is basically a non issue

But that sounds about right. Lower res will be more cpu dependent, and a 9100f wont help much there 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

But that sounds about right. Lower res will be more cpu dependent, and a 9100f wont help much there 

so should i get a new monitor?

Just now, Avocado417 said:

If you want to

The monitors not holding performance back or anything, you just don't have the ability to output a higher refresh rate 

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

If you want to

The monitors not holding performance back or anything, you just don't have the ability to output a higher refresh rate 

i understand that but with videos I watch people are getting 100-150 more fps with my specs

1 minute ago, Avocado417 said:

i understand that but with videos I watch people are getting 100-150 more fps 

if your machine was running at 150fps more there would be no change in your experience.

getting around 110 fps.

my monitor is 60 hz

1631995044_ShirakamiFubukiVirtualYoutuberGIF-ShirakamiFubukiVirtualYoutuberCute-DiscoverShareGIFs.gif.fe5dd3476bbd20a9f2106e1505b965ba.gif

*my head* lol 

your frames won't get better due to that, but maybe a monitor with free sync would be good... though really your "issue" seems like a no issue in my opinion (except the terrible frame times you'll probably get due to your frame rate not matching your monitors refresh rate) 

I understand that but with videos I watch people are getting 100-150 more fps 

that's another issue altogether, I doubt they'd have the exact same setup for one... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

1631995044_ShirakamiFubukiVirtualYoutuberGIF-ShirakamiFubukiVirtualYoutuberCute-DiscoverShareGIFs.gif.fe5dd3476bbd20a9f2106e1505b965ba.gif

*my head* lol 

your frames won't get better due to that, but maybe a monitor with free sync would be good... though really your "issue" seems like a no issue in my opinion (except the terrible frame times you'll probably get due to your frame rate not matching your monitors refresh rate) 

that's another issue altogether, I doubt they'd have the exact same setup for one... 

guys im not dumb i know that my monitor is 60 hz and my gpu is ouputting more than my monitor can handle but is my monitor affecting my frame rates

guys im not dumb i know that my monitor is 60 hz and my gpu is ouputting more than my monitor can handle but is my monitor affecting my frame rates

sry i sound like an idiot that knows nothing lol but i am just wondering if I get a new monitor would i get more frames

Just now, Avocado417 said:

sry i sound like an idiot that knows nothing lol but i am just wondering if I get a new monitor would i get more frames

No

5 minutes ago, Avocado417 said:

but is my monitor affecting my frame rates

no, but you need to limit your framerates to match the refresh rate,  at least as a "temporary fix" simplest way is Vsync, or Gsync/free sync , but there are other ways to achieve that too, with alledgely less input lag than Vsync would produce (which again in my opinion is negligible) 

3 minutes ago, Avocado417 said:

I already answered that. No.

To get more frames you'd need to upgrade some parts, probably almost a new pc, cpu, motherboard, ram, that psu... and then *on top* of that get a new monitor to actually get to use all those frames... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Avocado417 said:

then why are my frames so low

Is this an isolated issue with fortnite?

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

no, but you need to limit your framerates to match the refresh rate,  at least as a "temporary fix" simplest way is Vsync, or Gsync/free sync , but there are other ways to achieve that too, with alledgely less input lag than Vsync would produce (which again in my opinion is negligible) 

guys thats not the point. what can i do to get higher frame rates even though it does not directly affect my performance

2 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Is this an isolated issue with fortnite?

not sure how do i find that out? in minecraft I get like 90-180 fps

Edited by Avocado417

1 hour ago, Avocado417 said:

not sure how do i find that out? in minecraft I get like 90-180 fps

Look at benchmarks of the same game on other similar systems 

54 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Look at benchmarks of the same game on other similar systems 

I put it in my friend's system and I got a bit more frames. He has a r3 3100 and different mobo but otherwise the same parts

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I already answered that. No.

To get more frames you'd need to upgrade some parts, probably almost a new pc, cpu, motherboard, ram, that psu... and then *on top* of that get a new monitor to actually get to use all those frames... 

Are my parts bad because you said that this was a non issue and that it was not an issue with my computer. and I cannot deal with vsync or any of that because of the input lag. I also watched one of linus' videos and he said that it was better for my computer to be outputting higher fps than my monitor can handle because my display output updates the number of fps that it is outpyuuing

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

and also how many fps would i get with the new parts. 

2 hours ago, Slottr said:

I want to guarantee that i will have 144 fps before upgrading my monitor and I don't know what the issue is?!?! GUYS!! I know that my current monitor cannot display the fps that my gpu is outputting. I just want to know why they are so low. Search up a video with my components and you will see much higher fps than i get with my components.      THINK ABOUT IT. 110 fps on 900p low in fortnite with rx 5600xt. DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT

If you are getting 60fps (no more, no less) is probably because you have v sync (vertical sync) active in the in-game options... If you disable that option you should get more fps, but if your monitor do not support Gsync/free sync you will proabably notice a few graphical issues.

Just now, Bomdur said:

If you are getting 60fps (no more, no less) is probably because you have v sync (vertical sync) active in the in-game options... If you disable that option you should get more fps, but if your monitor do not support Gsync/free sync you will proabably notice a few graphical issues.

nope vsync is off. I do not use it because of the input delay

21 minutes ago, Avocado417 said:

nope vsync is off. I do not use it because of the input delay

Have you tried running it at 1080p? Maybe shifting some of the load from cpu to gpu may help get some more frames.  But do you know the spec of the pc’s on the videos you’re watching? And how much they differ from yours? 

Just now, Lord Megadrive said:

Have you tried running it at 1080p? Maybe shifting some of the load from cpu to gpu may help get some more frames.  But do you know the spec of the pc’s on the videos you’re watching? And how much they differ from yours? 

Monitor maxes at 1050p. Tried it on my brother's 1080p monitor and did not make a difference

16 hours ago, Avocado417 said:

Monitor maxes at 1050p. Tried it on my brother's 1080p monitor and did not make a difference

So the FPS was consistent even at a higher resolution? Maybe turning up the internal and renderer to 1440p to see if you can increase the FPS?