How to make my 5900X act normal (sleep, base clock, boost) on an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PRO

UPDATE: fixed by changing kernel to 5.9. I'm leaving the thread since it wasn't easy to figure out what was going on and this may help some other poor linux user. I would have kept with the 5.4 kernel, except the built-in bluetooth and 2.5Gb LAN won't work with that kernel (at least not without extra module loading).

What I ended up with (at least for now) is loading a overclocking profile in the AI Tweak or whatever tab and upping the RAM to 3600MHz and enabled Precision Boost. Besides that also enabled virtualization (because I need it) and the ability to boot other OSs besides Windows. Everything else is stock. Performance is acceptable, not stellar.

Hi,

First post on LTT and despite watching LTT I'm very much a hardware newb. I recently upgraded my computer to have a 5900X and 64GB of HyperX Fury 64GB 3466MHz DDR4 CL16 RAM.

If it matters, I run Manjaro Linux as my OS of choice, but I think this is more likely to be a motherboard-level settings issue. I had to move to the 5.9 or 5.10 kernel (both work, currently on 5.10) to get the WiFi and 2.5Gb Network Port to work.

The problem is that I can get the CPU to do 1 of 2 things and nothing else after a few hours of tinkering: either run at 2.2 GHz on all cores and never boost at all or run at 4.2 GHz on all cores and barely boost a little bit here and there on a single core

I only want it to run stock, like it's meant to. I want it to sleep, have normal all core boost and normal single core boost. I want it to have a base frequency of 3.7 GHz and all the normal stuff - ALL normal...except maybe just the memory. I'm happy to have the memory run in a more optimal state since I didn't even know the RAM I purchased is meant to be overclocked. I thought the 3466MHz advertised was the stock speed. As I said, not a huge hardware guy. I was way back in the 90's when it was simpler.

I've upgraded the BIOS to the latest and I've tried all kinds of different stock and boost type settings in the BIOS, but I think possibly my vocabulary to know what I'm tweaking is missing, but it seems odd that out of the box I can't get an out of the box type experience without knowing a crapload about AMD CPUs and motherboards and so on.

Would anyone happen to have any idea what the best settings for my BIOS would be?

edit: I guess maybe this was a misunderstanding....I saw a post that said if you touch anything in the settings that boost clocks are disabled then. I reset everything to default INCLUDING the memory and now everything seems to act fairly normal except my geekbench score is ~15% lower on both single and multi-core and my single core boost seems really low (3.7GHz average, which I understand to be the base frequency).

I still need help...how do I get the most out of my system while still running relatively stock? Is that even a possibility?

Also, I have a gigantic Noctua cooler that I'm fairly sure I installed right and temperatures don't seem high. It runs under load at around 60C or something as I recall.