Fixing Plastic Clip/Cover for PCI Express Slot

Tudou

Found a computer at my apartment complex someone was throwing away. They took out the ram and gpu but left a motherboard (MSI Z170A PC Mate), a cpu (i7 6700), and a power supply (TR2 RX 850W). That with the case, fans, and cpu cooler is like $600 bucks brand new. Was trying to look thru it to see if it was salvageable to give to a friend and saw that that PCI express slot where the gpu was placed was damaged. More specifically somehow the guy ripped out the clip and the whole plastic body in which the gpu seeds into. I was looking to fix it myself so I can give it to my parents or a friend. Any recommendation on reattaching the clip. Please see the attached pics.

The plastic connector still seems in good condition but the metal pins seems slightly bent and difficult to reseed into the plastic. The board seems to have another PCI express slot so I probably can put in another graphics card if needed but would at least would want to see if I can reattach the cover if possible. 

Note: I have built my own PC and installed some hardware for my friends before but that’s the limit of my experience other than watching the occasional tech video online. 

Thanks!

E445C006-0DFD-4C9A-8E18-274F0F32DA93.jpeg

00D7F036-3D16-4885-9F20-37C10A9C4290.jpeg

E4B64E3B-EBFA-4CFD-A6DE-C9FEF0A312E1.jpeg

nah, that slot is dead. other one should work fine though,

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

nah, that slot is dead. other one should work fine though,

Not really. You can bend the pins back and just put the plastic back. All pins are there and in tact it seems so worth a shot. Have had clients that did this before and some bending + hot glue does the trick. (do get rid of the pcie slot lock then because that tends to break the hotglue when taking cards out and it's not fully unlocked).

Yea all the pins are good. The only ones that are significantly bent are the last 11 pins on the left hand side.

Sounds like there is not really an easy way to do this then getting tweezers, removing it from the case and with magnifying glass trying to reseed it huh?

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not really. You can bend the pins back and just put the plastic back. All pins are there and in tact it seems so worth a shot. Have had clients that did this before and some bending + hot glue does the trick. (do get rid of the pcie slot lock then because that tends to break the hotglue when taking cards out and it's not fully unlocked).

Yea all the pins are good. The only ones that are significantly bent are the last 11 pins on the left hand side.

Sounds like there is not really an easy way to do this then getting tweezers, removing it from the case and with magnifying glass trying to reseed it huh?