Unless I frequently restore 3D setting in NVCP my 3070 stutters a LOT

OnlyAxolotl

I am facing yet another very strange problem.

Here I'm using heaven benchmark to test my PC.

Unless I restore the 3d settings in the NVCP multiple times a day, games and benchmarks stutter A LOT. There is also huge screen tearing along with the stuttering. The stutters happen in exactly the same places on the heaven benchmark

Upon defaulting NVCP the problem goes away.

I have tried (yes really)

1. Re-installing windows with clean all command on 2 differnt' ssd's and M2 drives

2. Changing Mobo BIOS to stable and newer AEGSA betas

3. Reseating components

4. Checking HW monitor for any problems, including heat (GPU and CPU are both well cooled)

5. DDU'ing Drivers (three drivers back)

6. Removing audio drivers, running latency mon

7. Changing cables and power.

What in the world is happening, I'm losing my mind. .

Usually stuttering like this is caused by a problem with the Shader cache.

Did you use DDU in windows safe mode?

I've seen some posts where using DDU can wreck havoc with the shader cache after a new driver install for awhile until you let it fully rebuild.

Another thing you can do is to turn off shader cache in NVCP, then delete NVCache (i don't remember where) folder, reboot the computer, then re-enable shader cache and let the games rebuild it.

4 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Usually stuttering like this is caused by a problem with the Shader cache.

Did you use DDU in windows safe mode?

I've seen some posts where using DDU can wreck havoc with the shader cache after a new driver install for awhile until you let it fully rebuild.

Another thing you can do is to turn off shader cache in NVCP, then delete NVCache (i don't remember where) folder, reboot the computer, then re-enable shader cache and let the games rebuild it.

Yeah I DDU'd in safe mode.

Also it is persisting through clean windows re-installs.

The thing that is baffling me is that it didn't happen with the same components when they arrived, but resetting the defaults clearly suggest software mot hardware. But how 🤔 

heaven with v sync on has tearing...? 

that's an odd one for sure. 

and the issue happens even if you leave settings in nvcp alone, or do you change *anything* there? 

Also since you already went through the trouble of "reinstalling" you should do it properly imo... with the iso on s USB, no "clean commands" just a fresh install on empty hard-drive (unless I misunderstood that part, but everything but isn't a "clean" install in my opinion) 

Also have there been *any* windows updates? 

Fwiw, studio driver 460.89, *no* windows updates whatsoever (win ver 1809) not a single hitch since I installed this card 3 weeks ago. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

17 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

heaven with v sync on has tearing...? 

that's an odd one for sure. 

and the issue happens even if you leave settings in nvcp alone, or do you change *anything* there? 

Also since you already went through the trouble of "reinstalling" you should do it properly imo... with the iso on s USB, no "clean commands" just a fresh install on empty hard-drive (unless I misunderstood that part, but everything but isn't a "clean" install in my opinion) 

Also have there been *any* windows updates? 

Fwiw, studio driver 460.89, *no* windows updates whatsoever (win ver 1809) not a single hitch since I installed this card 3 weeks ago. 

Yeah Im thinking of going back to 1809