First PC won't boot

Duranson

I just finished building my first PC in the cooler master NR200. My specs are  - 

Ryzen 5 5600x (+ stock cooler)

Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro Motherboard

Crucial 2x16 3600mhz cl16 Ram

Sabrent Rocket 1tb m.2 SSD

EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Corsair SF750 750W Power Supply

So currently, I'm having this issue:

When I turn the power supply on, the system immediately powers on and the light on the case power button is already powered on. Pressing it doesn't turn the system on/off, and I know that my front panel connectors are plugged in correctly. I'm not sure if this is normal or not.

When I turn it on, none of the fans start spinning. The LEDs on my graphics card don't come on. All that happens is that the LEDs on my RAM come on and cycle through the different colors, until I turn the system off.

Initially, I figured that it might be an issue with Ryzen 5000 and B550, so I tried to use Qflash, but the little blinking light didn't even come on. Absolutely nothing happened.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with Ryzen 5000/b550, or a separate issue, but I honestly don't know what to do.

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

You'll probably need a BIOS update.

Did you follow the instructions exactly?

I did, however,

Some tutorials recommended that you use a FAT32 USB drive, but some don't. My USB drive was EXFAT.

I also couldn't find any information on if you can BIOS flash with RAM/CPU/Graphics card in the system, but I did try it with my ram/cpu/gpu installed.

Just now, Duranson said:

I did, however,

Some tutorials recommended that you use a FAT32 USB drive, but some don't. My USB drive was EXFAT.

I also couldn't find any information on if you can BIOS flash with RAM/CPU/Graphics card in the system, but I did try it with my ram/cpu/gpu installed.

You'll need it to be FAT32.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

You'll need it to be FAT32.

Ok. Some tutorials also mentioned that the drive needed to be 16gb or under, not sure whether that's necessary or not.

Also, is it normal for the fans and lights not to be working when the cpu needs a bios update?

Just now, Duranson said:

Ok. Some tutorials also mentioned that the drive needed to be 16gb or under, not sure whether that's necessary or not.

Not sure, but probably.

Just now, Duranson said:

Also, is it normal for the fans and lights not to be working when the cpu needs a bios update?

No idea. It seems to vary from motherboard to motherboard - some people they just get no display, some people get nothing at all.

I've personally never experienced this as even though I have a B350 board, my dad updated the BIOS to 5406 a week before he gave it to me and I subsequently accidentally wrecked his 1600X.

elephants

3 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Not sure, but probably.

No idea. It seems to vary from motherboard to motherboard - some people they just get no display, some people get nothing at all.

I've personally never experienced this as even though I have a B350 board, my dad updated the BIOS to 5406 a week before he gave it to me and I subsequently accidentally wrecked his 1600X.

Alright, thanks for the info. Do you think I could try doing it with my CPU/graphics card/ram installed or should I just take it all out?

24 minutes ago, Duranson said:

Alright, thanks for the info. Do you think I could try doing it with my CPU/graphics card/ram installed or should I just take it all out?

It shouldn't hurt to have it in.

(Also, congrats on your PC! I built my first yesterday and it works like a dream. Do be careful though, I enabled XMP wrong on my MSI mobo and had to reset the whole bios)

3 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Not sure, but probably.

Update: I got a 16gb FAT32 USB stick, downloaded the bios, renamed it to GIGABYTE.bin, and plugged it in. The little light for Qflash still isn't coming on. Does this mean that one of my power connectors isn't plugged in correctly, or is it something else?

Just now, Duranson said:

Update: I got a 16gb FAT32 USB stick, downloaded the bios, renamed it to GIGABYTE.bin, and plugged it in. The little light for Qflash still isn't coming on. Does this mean that one of my power connectors isn't plugged in correctly, or is it something else?

Is your power supply on and plugged in, and if so, do you get a power LED on your motherboard?
It should be amber or red.

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Is your power supply on and plugged in, and if so, do you get a power LED on your motherboard?
It should be amber or red.

My power supply is on and plugged in. I don't see a little power LED on my motherboard. Do all motherboards have that, though? I'm using the Gigabyte b550i aorus pro ax.

Just now, Duranson said:

My power supply is on and plugged in. I don't see a little power LED on my motherboard. Do all motherboards have that, though? I'm using the Gigabyte b550i aorus pro ax.

Yep.
Even my P3V 4X board from 2001 has a power LED.
Double check all your connections.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Yep.

Alright, will do.

26 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Yep.

I just double checked all of my connections and tried again, still nothing. I just find it strange that the lights on my ram sticks are fine but no other fans are spinning and the light for qflash doesn't come on, and the gpu lights don't turn on either.

4 hours ago, Duranson said:

I just double checked all of my connections and tried again, still nothing. I just find it strange that the lights on my ram sticks are fine but no other fans are spinning and the light for qflash doesn't come on, and the gpu lights don't turn on either.

idk either but I'd agree, pc on, possibly powering the cpu and no fans is kinda bad news... 

the other thing is I know what a pain it can be to get a mobo see a bios update.. 

I would suggest reading the instructions again, it's possible the cpu shouldn't even be installed at that point... you can also link it here maybe we can figure this out.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

idk either but I'd agree, pc on, possibly powering the cpu and no fans is kinda bad news... 

the other thing is I know what a pain it can be to get a mobo see a bios update.. 

I would suggest reading the instructions again, it's possible the cpu shouldn't even be installed at that point... you can also link it here maybe we can figure this out.

Ok, so here's what I've done:

I completely disassembled my PC and set up the motherboard on the box it came in. I immediately realized that the 24pin cable wasn't completely plugged into the motherboard. I figured that was the issue, so I plugged it in all the way. All the tutorials for qflash that I had seen had been done without a cpu/ram/m.2 drive/graphics card, so I took all of that out and just tried qflash with the motherboard, 8 pin CPU cable, and 24pin, and the little light for qflash never came on.

I re-assembled all of my parts inside the case and still nothing. Even though the 24pin is in all the way this time, I'm having the exact same issue as last time. Power button light turns on, but pressing the case power button does nothing. RGB lights come on, but no fans in the system come on. And no RGBs on the 3080.

I'm honestly pretty unsure as to where I should go from here.

• 4 months later...

Did you solve the issue? Have the same problem with two new Corsair SF750er PSU´s.

Had a System Asus Z490 ITX with 10600K and 3090. Worked fine with ATX PSU but need to change to SFX. So orderd the SF750. First one no boot same behaviour like you. Old PSU works still fine. Ordered a second new one and same problem :-(

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping this thread since it's the first result on of a google search of the same problem I ran into the exact same symptoms as OP and I'm not finding any other results except this thread so I'll tell my story here of how I resolved this for myself.

Basically I had no post, no video. Pretty much same hardware configuration as OP. The power LED, CPU fans, GPU LEDs, etc, all flips on as soon as I switch on the PSU, but power switch is seemingly unresponsive. I can't turn the system on nor off, no post, no video signal. Holding down the power button results in the power LED rapidly flashing after a few seconds, but never powers off.

I was unable to run the Q Flash or a bios reset either since the button were unresponsive and no orange led ever lit up. Jumping the cmos reset with a screwdriver did nothing. I tried jumping it with the PSU power switch on but that just instantly killed power to the motherboard (seems like the only way I can get the motherboard to power off at least). 

Eventually I was able to get Q Flash to work after removing the CPU and RAM and GPU from the motherboard before attempting to flash. Unfortunately flashing the bios did not fix the problem. The issue came back as soon as I plugged everything back in.

Eventually I tried bisecting all the parts since I had another spare PC to try and narrow down what component was failing. The CPU and RAM and GPU all worked fine individually in the second machine so I had it narrowed down to either the motherboard or the PSU since there isn't really much else involved in a minimum system to get to post.

I was eventually able to get the machine to post after swapping out just the PSU. Success??? Maybe the PSU was bad? That turned out to not be the case. The new PSU worked just fine in the second PC as well.

This left me stumped for a while, individually each part works just fine, but when assembled it didn't work.

I then bisected the problem down to a single specific 8 pin PCIe modular power cable being bad. The PSU worked fine in the other PC since that used a the 6 pin connector which didn't have the issue.

TLDR: Everything is working now. The GPU wasn't getting any power due to a bad 8 pin modular PSU cable, and this B550I + Ryzen 5600x combo has really strange and cryptic power/post failure if the GPU isn't getting power. I hope this helps anyone else who might run into this issue.