Hd tune damaged blocks.

maxime_vhw

Hello guys,

So as of recently my ps4 slim 1tb kept freezing in game. Which at first i could live with but after while it got really frustrating so i decided look for a fix.

So i kind of treated it as if it would be my pc. i started with doing a factory reset of the system(initialize) which seems to have made it even worse. Now also crashes in the OS. Not only ingame.(game would be frozen but i was able to "tab" out to the ps menu). 

My main suspects are thermals and hdd. So I've swapped out the thermal paste for some kryonaut and now im looking into the hdd.

So i plugged the hdd into my pc with a usb3.0 adapter. Using hd tune im performing a error scan. Atm its just over 50% and has found 3 damaged blocks(381mb) so far.

So i wonder could this possibly be causing issues. Is there like an "acceptable" amount of damaged block?

Smart info is not available btw might be something misconfigured or just the fact that the drive is formatted and such for ps.

damaged blocks will cause major issues, depending on how the PS4 factory reset works (very little info available) it may have moved sections of the OS into those damaged sectors from the equivalent of a recovery section of the drive. 

in windows open an administrator CMD window (search for "CMD" then right click and "open as administrator") then type in " chkdsk then a space then the drive letter and a

hit enter and it will scan the disk for error and bad sectors (just like HD tune) after it finishes type in the same command but add " /f " to try to fix the errors and then the same with " /r " to try and recover bad sectors. 

there's no guarantee this will work but it is the most likely to fix the bad sectors. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

4 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

damaged blocks will cause major issues, depending on how the PS4 factory reset works (very little info available) it may have moved sections of the OS into those damaged sectors from the equivalent of a recovery section of the drive. 

in windows open an administrator CMD window (search for "CMD" then right click and "open as administrator") then type in " chkdsk then a space then the drive letter and a

hit enter and it will scan the disk for error and bad sectors (just like HD tune) after it finishes type in the same command but add " /f " to try to fix the errors and then the same with " /r " to try and recover bad sectors. 

there's no guarantee this will work but it is the most likely to fix the bad sectors. 

Did think about doing this but the thing is these ps4 drives dont show up in the windows drives. i mean windows does see it in device manager, diskpart etc but not in my computer.  so i dont know the actual driveletter. Anywhere i could find the drive letter. There must be something im not thinking of.

Ps: 6damaged blocks so far at +-60-70%

1 minute ago, maxime_vhw said:

Did think about doing this but the thing is these ps4 drives dont show up in the windows drives. i mean windows does see it in device manager, diskpart etc but not in my computer.  so i dont know the actual driveletter. Anywhere i could find the drive letter. There must be something im not thinking of

so that means windows isn't mounting the drive. in CMD use the " wmic logicaldisk get name " command to see what drive letters are attached

If you don't mind losing all your PS4 data you can reinstall the PS4 OS which would avoid the bad sectors as it writes. 

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/game-drive-for-playstation-ps4-installation-006202en/ 

the "install OS" section applies to your situation. couple of steps with a USB drive is better than jumping to formatting the disk in windows to initialize and try fixing the bad sectors. 

1 hour ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

so that means windows isn't mounting the drive. in CMD use the " wmic logicaldisk get name " command to see what drive letters are attached

If you don't mind losing all your PS4 data you can reinstall the PS4 OS which would avoid the bad sectors as it writes. 

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/game-drive-for-playstation-ps4-installation-006202en/ 

the "install OS" section applies to your situation. couple of steps with a USB drive is better than jumping to formatting the disk in windows to initialize and try fixing the bad sectors. 

"which would avoid the bad sectors as it writes."

How sure are you of the ps4's ability to do this?

i did an initialize (factory reset) and this forced me to install the OS from a usb. But now that i look into it, it shouldn't be doing that.

So probably that data was corrupted aswell.

Here's my progress so far. i know windows can deal with this by "ignoring" these blocks. But from what i've read so far ps OS has no such capabilities.

Knipsel.PNG

Just now, maxime_vhw said:

i did an initialize (factory reset) and this forced me to install the OS from a usb. But now that i look into it, it shouldn't be doing that.

So probably that data was corrupted aswell.

Here's my progress so far

I'd format it in windows, run the CMD stuff to fix sectors, and reinstall the os

Just now, GhostRoadieBL said:

I'd format it in windows, run the CMD stuff to fix sectors, and reinstall the os

I'll give it a shot! Otherwise it seems like i wont be playing any games this weekend. And monday i have a day off. Bummer