Bad motherboard or GPU? Monitor loses signal and PC crashes in game/under load.

Saiyan

Specs

z97 gaming 5 motherboard

gtx 970 strix

i7-4790k

750watt PSU

16gb hyperx 1866 ram

Every time I run any game or a benchmark like heaven my main PC screen crashes to black screen as in the monitor loses the GPU's signal. I check my reliability history and it's the same error code every time

Problem Event Name:    LiveKernelEvent
Code:    141
Parameter 1:    ffffcf0c3d5d3050
Parameter 2:    fffff8033e28372c
Parameter 3:    0
Parameter 4:    4
OS version:    10_0_19041
Service Pack:    0_0
Product:    768_1
OS Version:    10.0.19041.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID:    1033

According to a google of the even code it seems to be GPU related but why the problem not persist the same way no matter which motherboard slot I have it in.

I've tried uninstalling the GPU drivers and re-installing the latest ones, didn't help. I've tried different motherboard slots and that only results in worse results as in the crashing happens quicker in top PCIE slot and bottom PCIE slot. The middle slot is where my GPU is currently seated and it still crashes it just seems to take longer to do so.

The PC doesn't crash at all outside of gaming/heavy loads, I've also tried rolling back the clock on the GPU itself to see if it's factory overclock was the problem and the crashing persists.

PS: my second monitor is hooked up to my motherboard and using the integrated graphics and while the screen does crash when the event occurs, I'm able to regain control of my PC on the second monitor only through using task manager to force close the program that made it crash.

PCPartPicker: z97 Gaming 5 | 750w Photon | 850 Series 250gb SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | LG25um56-P | Corsair K70 RGB | Asus Strix 970 4gb | WD Blue 1TB | Logitech G502 | i7-4790k | H100i GTX w/ (Noctua NF-F12's) | HyperX Fury Black 1x8gb 1866 | NZXT Hue+ |  ATR2500 | ATH-M50x |

How old is your PSU? This is going out on a limb, but it may not be supplying optimal power for your GPU.

4 minutes ago, boeing_boi said:

How old is your PSU? This is going out on a limb, but it may not be supplying optimal power for your GPU.

I built the PC in 2016. It's a Rosewill 750watt Photon. A week or so ago I tried to RMA the one I have, they sent me an 850watt out of warranty which was cool, but it was obviously a refurb unit with how it was packed and it didn't work. I was thinking the problem is maybe PSU related too.

PCPartPicker: z97 Gaming 5 | 750w Photon | 850 Series 250gb SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | LG25um56-P | Corsair K70 RGB | Asus Strix 970 4gb | WD Blue 1TB | Logitech G502 | i7-4790k | H100i GTX w/ (Noctua NF-F12's) | HyperX Fury Black 1x8gb 1866 | NZXT Hue+ |  ATR2500 | ATH-M50x |

Its a bad GPU, Ive had this problem myself a while ago. The PC doesnt actually crash itself just what ever is being displayed and with a second monitor going off a diffrent GPU everything is fine on its side. Sadly I was never able to find a way to fix it. Just had to replace it :/

1 minute ago, Ndwolfy780 said:

Its a bad GPU, Ive had this problem myself a while ago. The PC doesnt actually crash itself just what ever is being displayed and with a second monitor going off a diffrent GPU everything is fine on its side. Sadly I was never able to find a way to fix it. Just had to replace it :/

Thanks man, I appreciate the reply. I'm just glad I'm able to pin down what's causing it.