Solutions to a Overheating 980ti (HELP)

antisocialjake
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,

Time to repaste the graphics card, also, be sure to have extra thermal pads of different thicknesses handy in case they tear. 

I built my PC a little over 6 months ago and I'm already running into overheating problems

My build- https://pcpartpicker.com/user/antisocialjake/saved/#view=BYbsLk

For about the first 4-5 months everything was great! There wasn't a game I couldn't run, it was fantastic. Now I can hardly even open most of my games without my GPU maxing out, hitting 85+ Celsius, and restarting my entire PC. I've tried figuring it out on my own and I feel stuck. I don't know what's really causing it but my GPU is my #1 suspect at this point. 

Time to repaste the graphics card, also, be sure to have extra thermal pads of different thicknesses handy in case they tear. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, SpiderMan said:

I have some Cooler Master Mastergel Pro thermal paste from when I installed my CPU, would that do the trick?

Just now, antisocialjake said:

I have some Cooler Master Mastergel Pro thermal paste from when I installed my CPU, would that do the trick?

Any thermal paste that is not crap will work perfectly fine on a graphics card. If its electrically conductive, be sure none spills outside of the GPU die and can fill in the gaps on the small SMDs on the graphics chip itself. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

On 1/15/2021 at 3:46 PM, SpiderMan said:

Any thermal paste that is not crap will work perfectly fine on a graphics card. If its electrically conductive, be sure none spills outside of the GPU die and can fill in the gaps on the small SMDs on the graphics chip itself. 

After months of trying different things, buying and upgrading my PSU, upgrading fans, and running countless test. taking the GPU apart, cleaning out the fins, dust, and repasting did the trick. Thanks brother!

1 hour ago, antisocialjake said:

After months of trying different things, buying and upgrading my PSU, upgrading fans, and running countless test. taking the GPU apart, cleaning out the fins, dust, and repasting did the trick. Thanks brother!

Anytime!!!