Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered

EndoHash

Hey guys,

I recently installed an PNY GeForce RTXTM 3080, and about once every day (not too common), my screens will both go black and I will lose audio.

After around 5 seconds, everything will come back on

Opening up Event Viewer shows that I have a warning from the source Display Event ID 4101

Clicking on it gives me the below message

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Is anyone able to give me a hand at looking into this issue

Thanks in advance

Just wanted to add that this doesn't occur when playing games and under load

Only seems to be happening when browing Chrome

59 minutes ago, EndoHash said:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

So your display driver is crashing and then reloading. Have you tried DDU and then reinstall the driver?

39 minutes ago, Flannelist said:

So your display driver is crashing and then reloading. Have you tried DDU and then reinstall the driver?

I haved tried installing NVIDIA Drivers and selecting Clean Install, I will try DDU now, thank you

2 hours ago, Flannelist said:

Still seems to be doing it

On 1/15/2021 at 6:40 PM, EndoHash said:

Still seems to be doing it

Did you ever get it figured out?

Specs for your build might be helpful.

I have a couple thoughts regardless.
Could be that Windows is installing a different version of the driver through windows update after you install the one directly from NVidia.

Could also be underlying OS issues, particularly if this was an existing build you upgraded, which is how it sounds from your original post. In which case I would run an SFC. If you're not familiar open cmd as an admin and type sfc /scannow . It will run through, report if any errors were found and whether or not they could be fixed)

I also wouldn't rule out the GPU being defective. I had a similar issue with an RX580: monitors blanked then come back, event viewer listed the driver crashing and recovering. Tried everything I could think of to fix it other than replacing/RMAing the card. But it was the card.

On 1/18/2021 at 3:00 PM, Flannelist said:

Did you ever get it figured out?

Specs for your build might be helpful.

I have a couple thoughts regardless.
Could be that Windows is installing a different version of the driver through windows update after you install the one directly from NVidia.

Could also be underlying OS issues, particularly if this was an existing build you upgraded, which is how it sounds from your original post. In which case I would run an SFC. If you're not familiar open cmd as an admin and type sfc /scannow . It will run through, report if any errors were found and whether or not they could be fixed)

I also wouldn't rule out the GPU being defective. I had a similar issue with an RX580: monitors blanked then come back, event viewer listed the driver crashing and recovering. Tried everything I could think of to fix it other than replacing/RMAing the card. But it was the card.

Sorry, I thought that I fixed it by rolling back to the previous NVIDIA driver, but it's literally just happened again

Specs are

i9 9900k

RTX 3080

32GB 3200MHz Vengeance RAM

750W Corsair Gold PSU

Yeah, I have run a sfc /scannow and it repaired around 5 files, but doesn't seem to have sorted the issue out