Can't get ethernet jack to work! RJ45 Male to Female

Go to solution Solved by BrinkGG,

17 minutes ago, JoshE said:

Hey ya'll been struggling for a while with this hoping anyone with knowledge on this can help. Disclaimer this my first time in 10 years connecting rj45s haha. So we moved into a house a couple months ago that already had ethernet lines run but weren't connected. I decided to connect them up today and figure out which goes to what room. There are 3 cable runs, on the basement end(where my router is) I connected all three to RJ45 plugs and I connected a keystone jack in my home office [insert image here]. The plan was to connect the jacks one after the other so i can identify and label them as i test but none of the basement plugs seem to be giving the jack in my office data. No lights no nothing. 

Things i've tried: 

Checking for appropriate contact on the RJ45 plugs (they look to be getting contact)

Network cable tester (ordered one online still waiting for it to be delivered, none of my local stores sell one that isn't 100 dollars or above)

Not sure if this should be a cross over since its female to male (but i doubt it and haven't tried to do a cross over connection yet)

I've attached pictures of all my connectors please let me know if anything looks wrong or anything i could try. Thanks you!

Hey!

So you're correct in your assumption that it shouldn't be a crossover connection. You want straight through of T568-B to B, which you have done correctly. 

The thing I would be asking first would be about the keystone jack in the office. Usually punchdown tools cut the cable ends off so the cap fits over them without bare wire sticking out, but it looks like you've got a lot left over. So I'd make sure the tool pushed the wires down far enough that the keystone slots cut through the plastic around the actual copper. 

What device are you using to check connectivity since you don't have the cable tester yet? 

Hey ya'll been struggling for a while with this hoping anyone with knowledge on this can help. Disclaimer this my first time in 10 years connecting rj45s haha. So we moved into a house a couple months ago that already had ethernet lines run but weren't connected. I decided to connect them up today and figure out which goes to what room. There are 3 cable runs, on the basement end(where my router is) I connected all three to RJ45 plugs and I connected a keystone jack in my home office [insert image here]. The plan was to connect the jacks one after the other so i can identify and label them as i test but none of the basement plugs seem to be giving the jack in my office data. No lights no nothing. 

Things i've tried: 

Checking for appropriate contact on the RJ45 plugs (they look to be getting contact)

Network cable tester (ordered one online still waiting for it to be delivered, none of my local stores sell one that isn't 100 dollars or above)

Not sure if this should be a cross over since its female to male (but i doubt it and haven't tried to do a cross over connection yet)

I've attached pictures of all my connectors please let me know if anything looks wrong or anything i could try. Thanks you!

IMG_0172.thumb.jpg.ee61ac76cb0bbf729cdbd9221ea9cdbf.jpgIMG_0174.thumb.jpg.5a999932dac313eac6ee3cb678620f40.jpgIMG_0179.thumb.jpg.af07cd2bd94ebe4fe57e461074a8b1f1.jpgIMG_0175.thumb.jpg.8d6653d3327e7bd056454b4ac90e6390.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

17 minutes ago, JoshE said:

Things i've tried: 

Hey!

So you're correct in your assumption that it shouldn't be a crossover connection. You want straight through of T568-B to B, which you have done correctly. 

The thing I would be asking first would be about the keystone jack in the office. Usually punchdown tools cut the cable ends off so the cap fits over them without bare wire sticking out, but it looks like you've got a lot left over. So I'd make sure the tool pushed the wires down far enough that the keystone slots cut through the plastic around the actual copper. 

What device are you using to check connectivity since you don't have the cable tester yet? 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

You can test a cable connecting its 2 ends to a switch. If the lights on both switches light up the cable is fine

Crossover or straight does not matter any more for decades now. New hardware autodetects how it should use the cable to establish a connection. Meaning the role of the pins are rearranged in software then the ethernet tries to detect a link.

Interesting i'd have never thought the jack might be the problem. It was advertised as a tooless installation so i didn't bother to get a punch down. I'll go get one and try it out. Thanks will report back if it works. here's the empty jack and the instructions in case you were wondering.IMG_0182.thumb.jpg.4146ae0de424dad272bcab03459b5078.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

issue tho with this jack is on the side you're meant to punch down (side with the pins) it doesn't have the labels on what goes where :( might need to get a more traditional jack

25 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

Hey!

I'm using my mac to test and my network switch just in case something's off with my computer. So my two methods of testing are switch to computer, or switch to switch and no lights come up in either ethernet ports (they both have the green and orange link lights)

First, your toolless jack looks fine. You would normally use some side cutters to get ride of the excess once you have clamped it shut.

Secondly, Are you sure that your cable runs as one uninterrupted cable from where you jack is to the basement? Often houses will be wired for 'phone' using cat5 cable and there will be a little box somewhere that all the cables go into where the blue cables will be crossed together.

If you are then its a job for a cable tester, Grab a cheap one from amazon (or where ever). Make sure you test the cable tester with a known good cable first so that you know its working.

Looks like it was the tool less keystone jacks that were indeed the problem i noticed when i took it out that some of the wires weren't breached so there was no contact on some of them. Switched it out for a traditional punch type and it works now!! getting near gigabit internet 😂 I was previously only hitting 180 Mbs Symmetrical previously. Thank y'all for the helpimage.png.32a93f4c37a95df6e65562a16e791c67.png

6 hours ago, JoshE said:

issue tho with this jack is on the side you're meant to punch down (side with the pins) it doesn't have the labels on what goes where :( might need to get a more traditional jack

Not gonna lie, I don't trust the Tool-less ones. 

If I find them in place at an office or similar, I either replace them with double-female keystones or traditional punchdown ones. 

*EDIT* 

I just saw that this was the problem 😂 Glad we could help and welcome to the forum!! 

2 hours ago, JoshE said:

Looks like it was the tool less keystone jacks that were indeed the problem i noticed when i took it out that some of the wires weren't breached so there was no contact on some of them. Switched it out for a traditional punch type and it works now!! getting near gigabit internet 😂 I was previously only hitting 180 Mbs Symmetrical previously. Thank y'all for the help

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi.