Good machine for work and few games

fred82

Budget (including currency): >2000 CAD 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Few games like COD which will be played max 1440p (my Asus TUF gaming i am happy with, i will buy another one later: maybe same or one for just reading document) not sur ebe interested by 4k

Later i will take VR (like in a year)

I am working in Cyber security and i have many  VMs to run and of course coding 

Later i will start to create possibly a channel (youtube) but anyway i started coding website for news. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Screen 1440p . mouse i have also keyboard.

I am upgrading from.... nothing.. since i left France to come Canada one year ago (i have just a laptop).

Thx a lot for ur appreciated and great help.

It's not a very good time to be purchasing a new system. The shortage of gpu and cpu has driven up prices to ridiculous levels.

Do you need a monitor?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, brob said:

It's not a very good time to be purchasing a new system. The shortage of gpu and cpu has driven up prices to ridiculous levels.

Do you need a monitor?

thx :) i have the 27 inches monitor with my laptop already (Lenovo Thinkpad)

This should do. Now obviously here you can do two things: 

1. Buy it now and pay 500USD (650CAD) for a 3060ti.

2. Wait until price drops and buy a 3070 for the same price.

Also one more thing you specified (over) 2000CAD so i didn't know /how much/ to actually go above, so i went around 600CAD more (2600CAD). Also i don't know much about Virtual Machines but one thing i know is that you need above average RAM storage to run them and some computing power. You can remove one pair of the G.Skill Ripjaws and it will do you fine, BUT only for gaming, if you want to get into streaming you might need 32. As for the CPU a 5600X is very similar to the 5800X (From a gaming standpoint), so usually you wouldn't go as far as buying a 5800X, but in your case i think you might need the extra cores and threads.  Just remember to set your RAM to XMP profile in BIOS so they run at the specified speed, and you could also try getting Ryzen Master to see how far you can push your CPU. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K 3.6 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($588.95 @ shopRBC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($208.50 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($368.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($299.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($359.00 @ Canada Computers) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($185.49 @ iSanek) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($179.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Total: $2300.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-13 21:35 EST-0500

4 hours ago, Just a Random Joe said:

This should do. Now obviously here you can do two things: 

1. Buy it now and pay 500USD (650CAD) for a 3060ti.

2. Wait until price drops and buy a 3070 for the same price.

Also one more thing you specified (over) 2000CAD so i didn't know /how much/ to actually go above, so i went around 600CAD more (2600CAD). Also i don't know much about Virtual Machines but one thing i know is that you need above average RAM storage to run them and some computing power. You can remove one pair of the G.Skill Ripjaws and it will do you fine, BUT only for gaming, if you want to get into streaming you might need 32. As for the CPU a 5600X is very similar to the 5800X (From a gaming standpoint), so usually you wouldn't go as far as buying a 5800X, but in your case i think you might need the extra cores and threads.  Just remember to set your RAM to XMP profile in BIOS so they run at the specified speed, and you could also try getting Ryzen Master to see how far you can push your CPU. 

forgot to say i'll wait for the graphic card until available

more concerned now with CPU .. but still don't know if smart buy last AMD gen if available and yes 5800x is what i was thinking so you confirm :)

17 minutes ago, brob said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K 3.6 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($588.95 @ shopRBC) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard  ($208.50 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($368.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($299.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($359.00 @ Canada Computers) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($185.49 @ iSanek) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($179.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Total: $2300.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-13 21:35 EST-0500

i was hesitating between 32 and 64 but yes i think 64 would help so much

thx for ur help

u prefer Intel than AMD?

1 hour ago, fred82 said:

i was hesitating between 32 and 64 but yes i think 64 would help so much

thx for ur help

u prefer Intel than AMD?

At the moment AMD supply is problematic. 

AMD Zen 3 cores have higher ipc than comet lake. If supply was not an issue I'd probably lean towards AMD. 

That said, Intel is expected to release new cpu by the end of the quarter. It might be worth the wait.

3 hours ago, brob said:

At the moment AMD supply is problematic. 

AMD Zen 3 cores have higher ipc than comet lake. If supply was not an issue I'd probably lean towards AMD. 

That said, Intel is expected to release new cpu by the end of the quarter. It might be worth the wait.

the 5800X is better than a 10850K in every way imaginable (Performance wise) so you either go AMD or wait for 11th gen. 

sometimes i wonder if i would take xeon since lot of colleagues have

but damned not sure i should then have two PCs