My pc won’t post

Ryan Thomas

It’s my first pc build, (Intel i9-10850k, Asus Z490-A, Kraken Z73, Nvidia rtx 3070 (not here yet) and Trident Z Royal 2 x 8gb kit.) It posts in the 2 far to the left slots but whenever there is ram in the 2nd it boots up but doesn’t display and the DRAM light is on.

Before you pull the CPU to check bent pins, unplug everything but the monitor, RAM and SSD and see if it boots with the RAM in the spots wit was having trouble with before.

Have you tested each RAM stick individually in the slot that works?

If all the DIMMs work, it's either the motherboard or the CPU.

It sounds like you purchased the parts recently. I'd waste no time in returning the mobo and the CPU.

I'm currently having the same issue, but with an AMD CPU. Happened suddenly after months of use. No bent pins. I was able to boil it down to the CPU by testing it on another motherboard (problem persisted) and by testing another CPU in my PC (problem went away)

If you know anyone with a compatible CPU and motherboard that you could use to test your parts, go ahead and do so. If you don't, return the mobo and the CPU as soon as possible!

Sorry you're going through this on your first build and I hope this doesn't discourage you from building pcs!