B550 or X570.

I'm in the process of buying parts I need to get my new PC up and running (as I find them in stock).  I'm going with a 5600x and likely a 3060ti or 3070, still haven't quite decided on that yet.

I'm curious as to what people's opinions are on getting a pretty good b550 board (MSI Tomahawk) vs a slightly lower end x570 such as the ASUS TUF gaming series?

I'll have the one NVME storage drive for OS and a few frequently played/long load time games.  But I'm not sure, besides the multiple gen4 pcie lanes for storage, what the main benefits to going with x570 is.  Ideally I'd just buy the x570 Tomahawk but it's not in stock for MSRP that I can find anywhere.

1 minute ago, RandomPcGamer357 said:

Do you plan on doing anything else besides gaming?

Gaming, and maybe some streaming if I ever bring myself around to doing that lol.

14 minutes ago, tlmills82 said:

I'm in the process of buying parts I need to get my new PC up and running (as I find them in stock).  I'm going with a 5600x and likely a 3060ti or 3070, still haven't quite decided on that yet.

I'm curious as to what people's opinions are on getting a pretty good b550 board (MSI Tomahawk) vs a slightly lower end x570 such as the ASUS TUF gaming series?

I'll have the one NVME storage drive for OS and a few frequently played/long load time games.  But I'm not sure, besides the multiple gen4 pcie lanes for storage, what the main benefits to going with x570 is.  Ideally I'd just buy the x570 Tomahawk but it's not in stock for MSRP that I can find anywhere.

I've already made that choice. For me it was B550. If prices were the same I'd go X570 but in terms of features B550 is more than enough for most of us. If you needed tons of USB ports then the X570 ROG boards for example are the way to go but I have never seen the appeal of getting a motherboard that is almost the price of the CPU unless you absolutely need it. Getting a lower end X570 means you gain some PCI-e bandwidth but not the other features. That extra bandwidth is kind of wasted in my opinion unless you run multiple graphics cards.

42 minutes ago, tlmills82 said:

The B550 tomahawk is a great board. If you care about RGB the B550-F Gaming also another great motherboard.

I think B550 is the way to go, unless you have a VERY high budget.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Biggest differences:

• X570 has larger BIOS chips and supports Zen+
  • X570 chipsets are PCIe gen4, so you can have more than 1 PCIe gen4 M.2 (some B550 boards have on paper 2-3 PCIe gen4 4x M.2 slots, however those additional slots use PCIe bifurcation on the upper PCIe 16x slot so your GPU runs PCIe gen 4 8x when using more than one NVMe in the right slot) and more than 1 PCIe gen 4 GPU
  • X570 come with an active (noisy) fan
  • X570 usually has more (fast) USB ports on the rear I/O (but good B550 has enough imho)
  • X570 usually does not (!) have USB 3.2 gen2 Type-C (Key-A) connectors for fast front panel USB Type-C ports

Basically: if you don't know wether you need any of those features, you most likely don't need them and are almost certainly better off with B550

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!