My new computer is receiving power but won't turn on (first pc build)

risp

I plugged everything in correctly and spent hours double checking but nothing I have tried has worked. When I press the power button on my case it doesn't turn on and even though the case isn't receiving power I tried also using a screwdriver to turn the pc on but nothing happens. I made sure to build the pc as carefully as a could so I didnt miss anything and I still haven't found the problem.

P.s. I haven't put the pc in the case since Iits easier to see the components outside the case. 20210112_155209.thumb.jpg.e3ba73288be80f81431a16c5b7c12be5.jpg

1 minute ago, risp said:

I plugged everything in correctly and spent hours double checking but nothing I have tried has worked. When I press the power button on my case it doesn't turn on and even though the case isn't receiving power I tried also using a screwdriver to turn the pc on but nothing happens. I made sure to build the pc as carefully as a could so I didnt miss anything and I still haven't found the problem.

P.s. I haven't put the pc in the case since Iits easier to see the components outside the case. 20210112_155209.thumb.jpg.e3ba73288be80f81431a16c5b7c12be5.jpg

Uhh...

You put the motherboard on a metal sheet.

Take it off the metal or put some paper between it.

elephants

Specs? My first step would be to remove the front panel connectors and see if you can just jump the power pins with a screwdriver. 

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Uhh...

Also on a carpet...

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

2 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Specs? My first step would be to remove the front panel connectors and see if you can just jump the power pins with a screwdriver. 

Also on a carpet...

I tried the screwdriver thing multiple times and put it on different surfaces but nothing happens

My pc specs:

Motherboard - z390

Cpu - i5-9400

Ram - 16gb ddr4

Power supply - 500w

Ssd - 500gb

8 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Uhh...

I tried putting under paper, a table, and a book but nothing happens

3 minutes ago, risp said:

First of all, you might have shorted your mobo out on that side panel, because it's metal. ALWAYS put it on a testbench or the motherboard box. Also you built it on carpet, and that's a really bad idea (due to static).

If nothing is dead as of now, try bringing the stuff to a room where there is not carpet, look for an outlet and touch the metal screw holding the cover on to destaticisize yourself (each time you enter the room), and then put the motherboard on its box (without the anti static bag inbetween). Try powering on they system.

If that doesn't work, make sure your PSU isn't dead, by taking a paper clip and bending it so that one side is in pin 4 (from the left with the clip on top), and the other side in pin 5 (the one immediately to the right of it). The PSU fan should spin up, for at least some time. If it doesn't, then you probably have a dead PSU. If it does, but your system doesn't boot up (try that as well), then you might have shorted out your motherboard or fried something with static.

8 minutes ago, Louie Friesen said:

-snip-

The system motherboard lights come on, that's pretty much a sure fire way to know it's not the PSU. Static is not some super killer of PC parts, sure you need to be careful not to get some super charge going and touch the CPU socket or something but it's not going to kill everything outright every time either.

10 minutes ago, risp said:

My pc specs:

Motherboard - z390

Cpu - i5-9400

Ram - 16gb ddr4

Power supply - 500w

Ssd - 500gb

Is this a 9400 or 9400F variant, that's very important.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

27 minutes ago, Lurick said:

The system motherboard lights come on, that's pretty much a sure fire way to know it's not the PSU. Static is not some super killer of PC parts, sure you need to be careful not to get some super charge going and touch the CPU socket or something but it's not going to kill everything outright every time either.

I was just thinking of the PSU because one died on me this morning.

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

Is this a 9400 or 9400F variant, that's very important.

Its a 9400

1 minute ago, risp said:

Its a 9400

Also I didnt think putting on the carpet for a few minutes could ever completely destroy the motherboard because I've seen videos and it usually takes alot of static electricity to break components.

Also I put it on a table so it wouldn't get damaged

20210112_172754.jpg