remoting into a pc on a trip away

So I've been interested in remoting into my more powerful pc while I'm on vacation or at work. My only question is how do people deal with a computer being off. Do they just keep it on all the time? Any clarification or advice would be much appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Lucawwol06 said:

So I've been interested in remoting into my more powerful pc while I'm on vacation or at work.

To do this, you will need Windows 10 Pro.

2 minutes ago, Lucawwol06 said:

My only question is how do people deal with a computer being off. Do they just keep it on all the time? Any clarification or advice would be much appreciated.

Who turns their PC off?

elephants

In such cases, people would probably be using Wake on LAN (WOL) or "smart power plugs" (which is a power wall socket that can be turned on/off from your phone) + their PC is set to basically "always be on when you have power"

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Have you considered there are more remote options other than Windows' own Remote Desktop + have you considered you didn't answer the question in the OP at all? (the question clearly labeled being "only question)

3 minutes ago, Lucawwol06 said:

My only question is how do people deal with a computer being off.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Why exactly would you need Windows 10 Pro? I have Windows 10 Home and programs like Parsec and Steam Link work perfectly fine.

And unless you're using some setup like @minibois suggested, your best option is to just leave your PC always on.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Just now, WaggishOhio383 said:

Why exactly would you need Windows 10 Pro? I have Windows 10 Home and programs like Parsec and Steam Link work perfectly fine.

I was thinking of Windows' built-in tool lol

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

I was thinking of Windows' built-in tool lol

Yeah, that would require pro, but there are plenty of alternatives. Plus, I don't think that the built in tool in Windows is created with long-distance gaming in mind, unlike alternatives such as Parsec.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

3 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

No, you don't. That only applies to RDP, something that shouldn't even be open to the internet in the first place. Also, it doesn't work well at all for graphically intensive workloads. 

OP: I would recommend giving Parsec a try. As for the power situation, just leave it on. My systems run 24/7, and lots of other people do the same. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2