Is optic going replace electronic parts?

What is your opinion about optic VS electronic technology?

Here's a snip from "Nature" e-paper about optic technology in computers related to AI:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03572-y#ref-CR7

"Electrons are the carriers of information in electronic computing, but photons have long been considered an alternative option. Because the spectrum of light covers a wide range of wavelengths, photons of many different wavelengths can be multiplexed (transmitted in parallel) and modulated (altered in such a way that they can carry information) simultaneously without the optical signals interfering with each other. This propagation of information at the speed of light results in minimal time delays. Moreover, passive transmission (in which no input power is required) aids ultralow power consumption7, and phase modulation (whereby the quantum-mechanical phases of light waves are varied) enables light to be easily modulated and detected at frequencies greater than 40 gigahertz.

In the past few decades, great success has been attained in optical-fibre communication. However, it remains challenging to use photons for computing, especially at a scale and performance level comparable to those of state-of-the-art electronic processors. This difficulty arises from a lack of suitable parallel-computing mechanisms, materials that permit high-speed nonlinear (complex) responses of artificial neurons and scalable photonic devices for integration into computing hardware.

Fortunately, developments over the past few years in devices called optical frequency combs9 brought new opportunities for integrated photonic processors. Optical frequency combs are sets of light sources with emission spectra that consist of thousands or millions of sharp spectral lines that are uniformly and closely spaced in frequency. These devices have achieved substantial success in various fields, such as spectroscopy, optical-clock metrology and telecommunication, and were recognized with the 2005 Nobel Prize in Physics. Optical frequency combs can be integrated into a computer and used as power-efficient energy sources for optical computing. This system is well suited for data parallelization by wavelength multiplexing.

Xu and colleagues used such a set-up to produce a versatile integrated photonic processor. This device performs a type of matrix–vector multiplication known as a convolution for image-processing applications. The authors implemented an ingenious method to carry out the convolution. They first used chromatic dispersion — whereby the speed of transmitted light depends on its wavelength — to produce different time delays for wavelength-multiplexed optical signals. They then combined these signals along the dimension associated with the wavelength of the light."

Sounds like the article is talking about quantum computing. It very useful, but in very specific applications.

Each has their place but I don't see traditional silicon-based computer chips being phased out anytime soon.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Not in the consumer space.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

20 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Sounds like the article is talking about quantum computing. It very useful, but in very specific applications.

Each has their place but I don't see traditional silicon-based computer chips being phased out anytime soon.

This isn't quantum computing, that's a completely different paradigm.

That being said, yeah, Moore's Law is ending and the way forward is looking at other materials to make electronic processors with, or use photons for our processing.

I feel that when the need gets pressing, this development will accelerate.