Laptop Docking Station Ideas for AMD Laptops

Firstly, sorry if I posted this topic in the wrong sub.

My friend is in the market for a laptop, and he wants to use it with a laptop docking station in order to connect his 2 external monitors, Ethernet cable, external hard disk and peripherals, and connect an eGPU should he need it in the future. He has his mind fixed on the HP Omen 15, with a Ryzen 5 4600H and GTX 1660ti, but I'm pretty sure, that in order to dock a laptop you need to have at least one Thunderbolt 3 port.

Are there any AMD 4000 Series laptops in the market right now that come with Thunderbolt 3? If there aren't any, are there any other methods to dock an AMD laptop similar to what was seen in Linus's video?

Thanks for your help in advance!

馃槙

2 minutes ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

an eGPU

Nope, need Thunderbolt. I'm not aware of any Ryzen 4000 - series laptop with Thunderbolt, so your buddy has to either wait for 5000 - series or go with Intel.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody鈥檚 pocket.

Simply put your friend is out of luck if they want an amd laptop. There are none with thunderbolt 3 right now. The soonest you'll get something like it is with usb4 which basically means the next generation of laptops. Other than that there are no docks out there that would do what you want without using a usb gpu which means at best office applications and that is it.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

so your buddy has to either wait for 5000 series

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

There are none with thunderbolt 3 right now. The soonest you'll get something like it is with usb4 which basically means the next generation of laptops.

and how long would that approximately be?

馃槙

Just now, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

I'll let you know once I can get my hands on a working crystal ball.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody鈥檚 pocket.

1 minute ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

A amount of time. Probably later this year or so when the new rtx3000 and amd rx6000 laptops start showing up

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I'll let you know once I can get my hands on a working crystal ball.

Just now, jaslion said:

A amount of time. Probably later this year or so when the new rtx3000 and amd rx6000 laptops start showing up

why do you say that amd 5000 series laptops would come with thunderbolt 3? is it mentioned so in the spec for usb 4, or has amd mentioned so somewhere?

馃槙

1 minute ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

why do you say that amd 5000 series laptops would come with thunderbolt 3?

I'm not. I'm saying they MAY have Thunderbolt. USB4 does have Thunderbolt, so it remains to be seen if the new laptops will have that or not.

2 minutes ago, ColdPressCoconutOil said:

why do you say that amd 5000 series laptops would come with thunderbolt 3? is it mentioned so in the spec for usb 4, or has amd mentioned so somewhere?

Usb4 comes with thunderbolt 3 and from the info we've gotten through the grapevine it seems most laptops are gearing up to have usb4 in them including amd laptops. I also never said anything about amd 5000 series laptops tho. That is on you for adding that in there.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

I'm not. I'm saying they MAY have Thunderbolt. USB4 does have Thunderbolt, so it remains to be seen if the new laptops will have that or not.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Usb4 comes with thunderbolt 3 and from the info we've gotten through the grapevine it seems most laptops are gearing up to have usb4 in them including amd laptops.

oh, i see. thanks for your help!

馃槙