RTX 3080 in a cheap asf pc

Padblaze
Go to solution Solved by Adorable Cat,
6 minutes ago, Padblaze said:

Do you know how could I get it to work?

I don't think you'll have to worry about that, your better power supply should just be compatible with everything else. buuut for educational sake:

you'll plug the PCIE power on the 850w psu into the graphics card, and leave everything else to the smaller hp power supply. you'll want to short pin 16 (PS-ON) on the 24 pin connector to any ground pin, which will force the power supply to be on all the time. then that 850w psu is powering the graphics card and the hp psu is just powering the mobo, drives, cpu etc.

PSU FAQ

but that's all pretty irrelevent in this situation

So I'm currently buying parts for my new build and I just bought an RTX 3080 but I don't wanna wait till I get the 5900x cuz it's gonna take too long. I also have this pc https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03154964. I was thinking about putting the RTX 3080 in here cuz I don't care if there's is an enormous bottleneck as I just want to get at least 60fps at 1080 or 720p in games like Rainbow Six or Doom Eternal untill I get other parts ( and it will take a very long time cuz I have to get a Dark Hero, Unifans, 5900x, 980pro,etc... I also have a powersupply (Gigabyte P-850GM) but Idk if there's any incompatibility I should know about. Thanks 

Ignoring the huge disparity between CPU and GPU performance with the 3080 some issues will be the too small PSU (300W wont likely be enough and may not be on the right rails and also probs wont have 2 spare 8 pin connecters, even if the GPU is CPU throttled hard), physical size in the system (may not actually fit in the case w/o modding it), and there might not be an extra PCIEx16 slot length for the card to slot into (you'll have to open up and see yourself). There might be more problems but that's at least a few to try and solve first. Probably best just slowly building the system and not using the parts until you have them all. You wouldn't want to risk that valuable rare card with getting incorrect voltage or something else that could damage it. 

CPU: Intel i9 9900K Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000MHz CL15 GPU: Gigabyte 1080Ti Windforce w/ AIO Liquid cooler Case: Fractal Design Define S Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NVME, 1TB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB SanDisk Ultra II, 2TB Samsung 860 QVO PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 850W Display: 1440p 144Hz Acer XG270HU CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Logitech G Pro TKL Mouse: Logitech G403 Wireless Sound: Fiio E10k + Sennheiser HD6xx + Logitech Desktop Tower Speakers OS: Windows 10 Home

Just now, Schrodingers Kat said:

Ignoring the huge disparity between CPU and GPU performance with the 3080 some issues will be the too small PSU (300W wont likely be enough and may not be on the right rails and also probs wont have 2 spare 8 pin connecters, even if the GPU is CPU throttled hard), physical size in the system (may not actually fit in the case w/o modding it), and there might not be an extra PCIEx16 slot length for the card to slot into (you'll have to open up and see yourself). There might be more problems but that's at least a few to try and solve first. Probably best just slowly building the system and not using the parts until you have them all. You wouldn't want to risk that valuable rare card with getting incorrect voltage or something else that could damage it. 

Well I have another PSU (850w Modular 80+Gold so for wiring it's not a problem) and I checked the size and it will fit. Also, there is a pcie 16x  so i could put the gpu here. So my last worry is about the CPU bottleneck, if it will cause damage to my gpu, I will be clearly not doing that but I don't really care about losing fps as it's just a temporary build.

3 minutes ago, Padblaze said:

Well I have another PSU (850w Modular 80+Gold so for wiring it's not a problem) and I checked the size and it will fit. Also, there is a pcie 16x  so i could put the gpu here. So my last worry is about the CPU bottleneck, if it will cause damage to my gpu, I will be clearly not doing that but I don't really care about losing fps as it's just a temporary build.

a CPU bottleneck won't damage your GPU, you just won't get anywhere near the performance you could out of it (I think you know this already though). As long as the power supply is compatible with the rest of the system it should work well.

even if your 850w PSU won't work because the motherboard has proprietary power connectors on it (though from what I see online it doesn't look like it does) you could still get it to work in less than beautiful ways.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

You can get the new PSU working with just the graphics card if you short the 24pin with a wire (google how) if you really want to try. If the HP motherboard has standard connections like 24 pin for the mobo etc (which it may not being an OEM pc, some of them have proprietary connections for their own custom cheap mobos), then you could spend the time and change the whole psu over to the new one while you wait. I dont think any other part of the system can physically harm the GPU so you might be good to try it. You might have to dive into the BIOS and change the video output to the new card. Then last of all is the drivers which can play funny on system hardware they're not made for, but its worth a shot. All the other problems like PCIE lane allocation and such don't matter too much as the performance will still be decent-ish and severely held back by the CPU regardless. Let us know how it goes if you try it for future help with other builds.

CPU: Intel i9 9900K Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000MHz CL15 GPU: Gigabyte 1080Ti Windforce w/ AIO Liquid cooler Case: Fractal Design Define S Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NVME, 1TB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB SanDisk Ultra II, 2TB Samsung 860 QVO PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 850W Display: 1440p 144Hz Acer XG270HU CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Logitech G Pro TKL Mouse: Logitech G403 Wireless Sound: Fiio E10k + Sennheiser HD6xx + Logitech Desktop Tower Speakers OS: Windows 10 Home

2 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

a CPU bottleneck won't damage your GPU, you just won't get anywhere near the performance you could out of it (I think you know this already though). As long as the power supply is compatible with the rest of the system it should work well.

even if your 850w PSU won't work because the motherboard has proprietary power connectors on it (though from what I see online it doesn't look like it does) you could still get it to work in less than beautiful ways.

The 3080 might work. You'll need to use the 850w PSU you bought not the 300w one that came with the HP Pavillion. You'll be super bottlenecked but it'll be playable and a huge upgrade over the integrated graphics of a 2nd gen i5. As for later upgrades I would recommend the 5800X not the 5900X and putting the difference in cost towards the 980 Pro SSD you mentioned. As well you'll need a new motherboard and new ram and you might as well get a new case. Go for a B550 or X570 motherboard and 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 CL16 ram rated at 3200MHz or 3600MHz.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

Just now, Padblaze said:

By using the default 300w HP pavillon power supply as it is and simply taking off the side panel and plugging the new 850w into a seperate power outlet and into the graphics card

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

1 minute ago, cm992 said:

The 3080 might work. You'll need to use the 850w PSU you bought not the 300w one that came with the HP Pavillion. You'll be super bottlenecked but it'll be playable and a huge upgrade over the integrated graphics of a 2nd gen i5. As for later upgrades I would recommend the 5800X not the 5900X and putting the difference in cost towards the 980 Pro SSD you mentioned. As well you'll need a new motherboard and new ram and you might as well get a new case. Go for a B550 or X570 motherboard and 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 CL16 ram rated at 3200MHz or 3600MHz.

Oh yeah do not worry I already have a build list planned and it's a whole new pc. I was thinking for going with the 5800x but I need more cores for what I will be doing (not only gaming and I want this as muuch futurproof as it can be)

6 minutes ago, Padblaze said:

I don't think you'll have to worry about that, your better power supply should just be compatible with everything else. buuut for educational sake:

you'll plug the PCIE power on the 850w psu into the graphics card, and leave everything else to the smaller hp power supply. you'll want to short pin 16 (PS-ON) on the 24 pin connector to any ground pin, which will force the power supply to be on all the time. then that 850w psu is powering the graphics card and the hp psu is just powering the mobo, drives, cpu etc.

PSU FAQ

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

5 minutes ago, Schrodingers Kat said:

You can get the new PSU working with just the graphics card if you short the 24pin with a wire (google how) if you really want to try. If the HP motherboard has standard connections like 24 pin for the mobo etc (which it may not being an OEM pc, some of them have proprietary connections for their own custom cheap mobos), then you could spend the time and change the whole psu over to the new one while you wait. I dont think any other part of the system can physically harm the GPU so you might be good to try it. You might have to dive into the BIOS and change the video output to the new card. Then last of all is the drivers which can play funny on system hardware they're not made for, but its worth a shot. All the other problems like PCIE lane allocation and such don't matter too much as the performance will still be decent-ish and severely held back by the CPU regardless. Let us know how it goes if you try it for future help with other builds.

Alright I found this video of the motherboard that is my pc and it looks like it's a 24 pin connector so does that means I'm good? Yeah, if I do that I'm defenitely going to let u know how it goes

3 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

PSU FAQ

Alright thanks for your precious time, you really helped me :).

-= Moved to New Builds and Planning =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

dude, wait as much as u have to to get the 5900x, trust me I have 3080 with 5600x and in 4 or 5 games I have insane cpu loads that cause stutters and lag spikes sometimes, never get bad cpu with top gpu 

Yeah I know that but it's just a temporary build, I don't even care if I get less than 60 fps. I have no other computer in my house that can handle game.