Does PCIe link widths really matter for GPU?

Hi,

I've been using the Phanteks Evolv Shift X case for some time. It has a small X470-I motherboard and a 2700X processor so the number of PCIe lanes is limited. I have two M.2 NVMe disks so for the graphics card I stay X8 instead of X16.

In the beginning I used the GTX 1080 Ti, now the RTX 3080. And that's all the time in the X8 and all in all, I don't notice any big drops in FPS (ignoring the CPU that currently limits the card).

How is it with link width, is it not using even half PCIe speed most of the time?

pc-spec.thumb.jpg.aff679856f425c4aa3b2f0f12703ff37.jpg

There is no performance benefit over x8, it only matters for stuff like PCIe storage or network cards that can use that much bandwidth.

With PCIe 3.0 your GPU won't be bottlenecked at all.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 hours ago, Pomian said:

Hi,

I've been using the Phanteks Evolv Shift X case for some time. It has a small X470-I motherboard and a 2700X processor so the number of PCIe lanes is limited. I have two M.2 NVMe disks so for the graphics card I stay X8 instead of X16.

In the beginning I used the GTX 1080 Ti, now the RTX 3080. And that's all the time in the X8 and all in all, I don't notice any big drops in FPS (ignoring the CPU that currently limits the card).

How is it with link width, is it not using even half PCIe speed most of the time?

pc-spec.thumb.jpg.aff679856f425c4aa3b2f0f12703ff37.jpg

It matters, but usually not enough that other factors are more important. Generally for games, motherboards and GPU's are designed to operate at x8. 

Please note the date here is 2016 on a 5th gen intel system (so DDR3): https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2488-pci-e-3-x8-vs-x16-performance-impact-on-gpus

It would be interesting to see the same kind of benchmarks repeated with each year's hottest game, but it needs to be repeated that the bottleneck in terms of more performance is the GPU itself, so if you're buying a Geforce xx60 part, than no, a PCIe x16 link is likely going to have no bearing on the performance because the card itself can't achieve that performance. Meanwhile the xx90 xx80 and other high end GPU's probably can, but hit thermal limits before they can make use of that much bandwidth.