GPU causes computer to shut down and reboot after a short period of high (90-100%) load.

refinedskillz

Hi all,

I made a post earlier, regarding the same issue, but I've now narrowed it down to my GPU. I swapped a 500w PSU into my system, and the same thing occurs. (I ran furmark to consistently recreate the conditions). I then swapped an RX 470 into my system (with my old PSU) and I had no issue, thus its the GPU. 

The GPU is a Palit Jetstream GTX 980Ti. I've tried multiple driver versions to no avail. Is there any way I can fix this?

Thanks for all replies.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

what PSU did you have in there before, and what do you have now? Exact models are needed.. not all PSUs are created equally. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

see? told you it wasn't 100% the psu

There isn't really a way to fix it. I'd just replace it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

what PSU did you have in there before, and what do you have now? Exact models are needed.. not all PSUs are created equally. 

I have a EVGA Supernova 650GS. I swapped in an EVGA 500B to test, and it did the same thing. Im now back to the 650GS as the other PSU is not mine.

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

see? told you it wasn't 100% the psu

There isn't really a way to fix it. I'd just replace it.

Yeah, I guess, thanks man.

13 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Hi all,

I made a post earlier, regarding the same issue, but I've now narrowed it down to my GPU. I swapped a 500w PSU into my system, and the same thing occurs. (I ran furmark to consistently recreate the conditions). I then swapped an RX 470 into my system (with my old PSU) and I had no issue, thus its the GPU. 

The GPU is a Palit Jetstream GTX 980Ti. I've tried multiple driver versions to no avail. Is there any way I can fix this?

Thanks for all replies.

This might be the cause but some GPUs have a feature to shut down at a certain temperature. Mine (780ti) was 75c and it killed my power supply thankfuly nothing else. I never tried to fix the problem I just upgraded.

OUTDATED JAN 2021 ===========> Check out my pc building guide! might be useful tho

It's great for planning new builds, getting a reference on where to start, or seeing what you need to play what games.

It also shows what I recommend for upgrading your stuff!

cpu - ryzen 5 3600

gpu - gtx 1070

ram - (2x8) 3200mhz

ssd - 970 evo plus 500gb

ssd2 - 860 qvo 1tb

mobo - asrock b450m hdv r4.0

psu - evga b5 550w bronze

Just now, richodude said:

This might be the cause but some GPUs have a feature to shut down at a certain temperature. Mine (780ti) was 75c and it killed my power supply thankfuly nothing else. I never tried to fix the problem I just upgraded.

Well, the highest i've seen my temps go is 60 degrees. That isnt much is it?

Well maybe both PSU's were just not up the task.

I checked and according to picture that card uses a lot of Watts.

Screenshot_12.png

I only say this because the PC shutting down without BSOD when power use is high is the best indication for an PSU that cant reach the needed levels.

Without knowing your other specs, im calling the PSU to weak, even the test one.

Specialy since the 650W PSU you use is a tier-D model only to be used in low end systems.

Get a proper PS and be done with it. ;)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

6 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Well, the highest i've seen my temps go is 60 degrees. That isnt much is it?

No, that's quite cool actually. I would agree with others, it is probably your GPU since a 650W should be able to handle the 250W TDP, but it does depend on your other specs.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Well maybe both PSU's were just not up the task.

I checked and according to picture that card uses a lot of Watts.

Screenshot_12.png

I don't think so. I've had the card for just over a year, It used to be in a system with an FX processor in it, which has a much higher TDP than my current Ryzen 5 1600 has. Has had no issues till now.

1 minute ago, tishous said:

No, that's quite cool actually. I would agree with others, it is probably your GPU since a 650W should be able to handle the 250W TDP, but it does depend on your other specs.

Other specs?

3 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Other specs?

Such as your CPU, but I see now you mentioned you have a R5 1600. In that case, your 650W PSU should be fine. I do think it is your GPU unfortunately.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

5 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Other specs?

Yeah other PC specs so we could have a glance at total power usage.

But when a PSU says 650Watts that doesn't mean anything below that will just run it.
Its an older not that well made model, they will work but also degrade over time.

If your GPU uses 300Watts and the rest of your PC uses 250Watts. That doesnt mean you will be ok with a 550Watt PSU...

Also power isn't the most important part either, its how the power is delivered. Without fluctuations and such.

But whatever you decide, best ofluck with your issues! :)

And really hope you let us know if you find what it was. ;)

Also since older GPU, have you tried taking of the cooler and re-do the cooling paste? That can also help a great deal.
Specially on the memory and chokes/power-regulators.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Yeah other PC specs so we could have a glance at total power usage.

But when a PSU says 650Watts that doesn't mean anything below that will just run it.
Its an older not that well made model, they will work but also degrade over time.

If your GPU uses 300Watts and the rest of your PC uses 250Watts. That doesnt mean you will be ok with a 550Watt PSU...

Also power isn't the most important part either, its how the power is delivered. Without fluctuations and such.

But whatever you decide, best ofluck with your issues! :)

And really hope you let us know if you find what it was. ;)

Im kinda certain it is my GPU. It's only 5 years old and its meant to be "gold standard"