So I upgraded my ram from 2400mhz to 3200mhz

So from what I've seen and heard from every major PC-news outlet such as Linus, Jayz2Cent etc is that RAM speed does matter but up to a certain extent, it depends on the CPU and game/application you're running/doing...

I currently own (my old set as of today) a 16gb kit of 2400mhz RAM paired with a ryzen 2600 CPU/1660 super GPU and everything runs completely fine, but I ordered a new set of ram sticks (2x8gb) for a total of 16GB of ram @ 3200Mhz, I genuinely thought it was going to improve my FPS even just a little but from what I can tell is that nothing has changed. I'm getting maybe 2 fps better on average than before... I was just wondering if I should keep the new set of sticks or return them because I'm not sure what to do... I also ordered a new CPU that's going to be a major upgrade from what I've heard, I'm getting a ryzen 3600 on friday and was wondering if the new RAM combined with the new CPU would be a power duo versus my current setup. It's also kind of a waste because the old ram sticks won't be used in anything for a long time...

old setup -

Ryzen 2600 , 6 core processor

16GB ddr4 2400mhz RAM

1660 super GPU

--- --- ---

New setup

Ryzen 3600, 6 core processor

16gb 3200mhz RAM

1660 super GPU

TLDR - I'm not seeing any worth while results after installing new, faster ram but of the same quantity. Should I return and save for something else?

P.S. - I also sometimes stream on twitch but only non-demanding game like runescape but I plan on streaming more if possible, would the new ram help?

20 minutes ago, TheWahmenRespektor said:

So from what I've seen and heard from every major PC-news outlet such as Linus, Jayz2Cent etc is that RAM speed does matter but up to a certain extent, it depends on the CPU and game/application you're running/doing...

I currently own (my old set as of today) a 16gb kit of 2400mhz RAM paired with a ryzen 2600 CPU/1660 super GPU and everything runs completely fine, but I ordered a new set of ram sticks (2x8gb) for a total of 16GB of ram @ 3200Mhz, I genuinely thought it was going to improve my FPS even just a little but from what I can tell is that nothing has changed. I'm getting maybe 2 fps better on average than before... I was just wondering if I should keep the new set of sticks or return them because I'm not sure what to do... I also ordered a new CPU that's going to be a major upgrade from what I've heard, I'm getting a ryzen 3600 on friday and was wondering if the new RAM combined with the new CPU would be a power duo versus my current setup. It's also kind of a waste because the old ram sticks won't be used in anything for a long time...

old setup -

Ryzen 2600 , 6 core processor

16GB ddr4 2400mhz RAM

1660 super GPU

--- --- ---

New setup

Ryzen 3600, 6 core processor

16gb 3200mhz RAM

1660 super GPU

TLDR - I'm not seeing any worth while results after installing new, faster ram but of the same quantity. Should I return and save for something else?

P.S. - I also sometimes stream on twitch but only non-demanding game like runescape but I plan on streaming more if possible, would the new ram help?

RAM speed is going to matter less with a less powerful GPU. Basically all of the big improvements seen on most of those videos typically have a a heavy hitting machine being a bit hamstrung by "slow" RAM. A 3090 with a 5800x and 2400 MHz RAM will be slower in a tangible way in gaming than with 3600 RAM. That said, less power results in less "bottle neck potential". I would still ahve anticipated some gains in your setup even with a 1660S, but I am not sure that was a good monetary choice. Saving that money for a better GPU would be a much larger improvement. Even just sticking with the 2600 and the old RAM, throwing a better GPU in it would result in more gains then upgrading the CPU and RAM.

But with that said, a 3600 is a better CPU, and that RAM will "go well" with it. But to see real gains, a new GPU would be much more ideal. But if you do get something like a RTX 2070 used or something, or a new 3000 series once they are in stock, you would start to want that 3600 and faster RAM vs your old stuff. So its a bit of a cat and mouse game. I would have upgraded the GPU first though as that would result in more tangible gains starting day 1.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1 minute ago, LIGISTX said:

RAM speed is going to matter less with a less powerful GPU. Basically all of the big improvements seen on most of those videos typically have a a heavy hitting machine being a bit hamstrung by "slow" RAM. A 3090 with a 5800x and 2400 MHz RAM will be slower in a tangible way in gaming than with 3600 RAM. That said, less power results in less "bottle neck potential". I would still ahve anticipated some gains in your setup even with a 1660S, but I am not sure that was a good monetary choice. Saving that money for a better GPU would be a much larger improvement. Even just sticking with the 2600 and the old RAM, throwing a better GPU in it would result in more gains then upgrading the CPU and RAM.

But with that said, a 3600 is a better CPU, and that RAM will "go well" with it. But to see real gains, a new GPU would be much more ideal. But if you do get something like a RTX 2070 used or something, or a new 3000 series once they are in stock, you would start to want that 3600 and faster RAM vs your old stuff. So its a bit of a cat and mouse game. I would have upgraded the GPU first though as that would result in more tangible gains starting day 1.

I see your points and logic and it does make a lot of sense now that I've read it, the only reason why I decided to upgrade my CPU and RAM first BEFORE a gpu is simply because I couldn't afford all the exorbitant prices of the current GPU market... 

I'm still conflicted haha, I'm probably going to keep the ram then purely because even if I manage to get a modern GPU, there would probably be a bottleneck due to its performance with my current CPU. For the most part, my logic as well as my friends was "Your GPU will for the most part, always be compatible with your other PC parts and since you can't get a good GPU anyways for it's MSRP, just upgrade everything else first."

8 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Hey also, sorry for tagging you but I just noticed something... I have a motherboard, the gigabyte b450m ds3h and It says within the actual manual that it only supports up to 3200mhz (the ram I upgraded to, but I just checked on the actual website of gigabyte and it says it supports 3600mhz (O.C.), what should I believe? My friend was going to give me his ram sticks for free (3600mhz) but I declined because I thought my mobo didn't support it... 

Your minimums have probably improved, but only a bit. It's something to take the time and benchmark and see if there's a real difference. If anything, you can probably use both kits and at least have the capacity, if that's of any use to you.

37 minutes ago, TheWahmenRespektor said:

I see your points and logic and it does make a lot of sense now that I've read it, the only reason why I decided to upgrade my CPU and RAM first BEFORE a gpu is simply because I couldn't afford all the exorbitant prices of the current GPU market... 

I'm still conflicted haha, I'm probably going to keep the ram then purely because even if I manage to get a modern GPU, there would probably be a bottleneck due to its performance with my current CPU. For the most part, my logic as well as my friends was "Your GPU will for the most part, always be compatible with your other PC parts and since you can't get a good GPU anyways for it's MSRP, just upgrade everything else first."

This is sound logic. 

31 minutes ago, TheWahmenRespektor said:

Hey also, sorry for tagging you but I just noticed something... I have a motherboard, the gigabyte b450m ds3h and It says within the actual manual that it only supports up to 3200mhz (the ram I upgraded to, but I just checked on the actual website of gigabyte and it says it supports 3600mhz (O.C.), what should I believe? My friend was going to give me his ram sticks for free (3600mhz) but I declined because I thought my mobo didn't support it... 

RAM speed is almost always dictated by your CPU's IMC (internal memory controller) quality, not the mobo. The mobo does play a factor, the topology of the traces and the quality of the board plays a factor, but almost always your CPU will be the limiting factor before the MOBO.

That said, even if it was an issue and it didn't want to run at 3600, can always enable XMP and then just set the MHz to 3200.... O well. Now you know for next time :)

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air