GPU under load generates electrical noise on my (usb) headset

Cayde-7
Go to solution Solved by Cayde-7,

I fixed it by putting some tape on the connector!

I've been experiencing issues with my headset lately. The right side starts buzzing a bit. At first I thought this happened at random but lately I discovered that my graphics card is causing the issues. 

When I just use my PC for some browsing and watching vids there's nothing there but, when I start playing a game or start a 3d render the buzz starts. I verified it multiple times by running Furmark. Every time I start the stress test the buzzing begins immediately and also stops immediately when I stop the stress test. (No overclock on the gpu)

The only thing I can think of that could cause this, is that when the GPU is under load it somehow 'leaks' power onto the case, then it could jump over to the io-shield and so create some sort of electrical noise on the connector thus resulting in the bussing noise. (I have no idea how electrical stuff works so this could be total bs)

edit:

I found out that the buzzing also occurs when I touch the io-shield with the usb connector. This would mean that the buzz is caused by the case.

My case is a          Corsair 220T

My GPU a             RX570 4GB

My headset a        HyperX Cloud 2

My mobo a            Ryzen 7 2700

Has anyone else experienced this before or does anyone know how to fix this?

Edited by Cayde-7
Included things I discovered later

noise could interfer with audio signals or the audio chip on the motherboard if that is the case.

not sure if that is really or would be the issue.

Just now, Quackers101 said:

noise could interfer with audio signals or the audio chip on the motherboard if that is the case.

not sure if that is really or would be the issue.

Does an USB headset use the audio chip? I thought that one was only for if you use line in and line out thingies

if it goes through the motherboard then the audio from the motherboard and it's chip (onboard audio).

there might be other things that could interfer with your signal, so if USB disables that, it might be something else.

that too \/

1 minute ago, Andreaskhoi said:

i would suggest trying a diffrent pair of headphones and see

Don't have any usb headsets around but I can at least try one on the auxiliary connector. Then we at least know it isn't the audio chip.

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

if it goes through the motherboard then the audio from the motherboard and it's chip (onboard audio).

there might be other things that could interfer with your signal, so if USB disables that, it might be something else.

In this article I read that for a usb headset still needs the conversion to digital audio from analog. This step could involve the audio chip which could in theory produce the noise. I'm however not convinced the audio chip is the problem because when I switch audio output in Windows it still buzzes. Switching audio outputs in windows should disable output on the other audio devices. (correct me if i'm wrong) 

With this in mind the only thing I can think of is that this is happening because of the PC case. I just tried touching the io-shield with the USB connector and it started buzzing right away. This would mean that the gpu leaks power to the case. 

1 minute ago, Cayde-7 said:

Don't have any usb headsets around but I can at least try one on the auxiliary connector. Then we at least know it isn't the audio chip.

In this article I read that for a usb headset still needs the conversion to digital audio from analog. This step could involve the audio chip which could in theory produce the noise. I'm however not convinced the audio chip is the problem because when I switch audio output in Windows it still buzzes. Switching audio outputs in windows should disable output on the other audio devices. (correct me if i'm wrong) 

With this in mind the only thing I can think of is that this is happening because of the PC case. I just tried touching the io-shield with the USB connector and it started buzzing right away. This would mean that the gpu leaks power to the case. 

but if your gpu leaks power to the case wouldn't it be shorted?

but if your gpu leaks power to the case wouldn't it be shorted?

If my pc case would be shorted the PSU would trip right? (its grounded) 

what psu do you have?

be quiet! System Power 9 400W

oh and btw, when I touch the 'io-shield'  of the GPU it also buzzes

3 minutes ago, Cayde-7 said:

be quiet! System Power 9 400W

oh and btw, when I touch the 'io-shield'  of the GPU it also buzzes

i think (not sure) you psu has some grounding probs

my old pc had the same probs and the psu smelt burnt and it was a grounding prob 

Just now, Andreaskhoi said:

i think (not sure) you psu has some grounding probs

my old pc had the same probs and the psu smelt burnt and it was a grounding prob 

gonna let my brother come over then, he's electrical engineer so he could figure it out.

Thanks for your help though 

1 minute ago, Cayde-7 said:

gonna let my brother come over then, he's electrical engineer so he could figure it out.

Thanks for your help though 

no problem

Lots of folks specifically get external DACs for this purpose.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I fixed it by putting some tape on the connector!