My friends hp laptop keeps blue screening

ShemBane

Hey so my friends laptop blue screened it said "your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart" or something like that and then when it restarted it put him in a screen saying "preparing automatic repair" we left it for about an hour and it didnt do anything so we tried something else we went into system diagnostics and ran a test on his laptop and everything passed nothing failed so then we tried to restore from a restore point but thanks to hp restore points were disabled on his laptop. we have no idea what to do now we want to try get all his important files off the laptop before we even think of a reset but is there anything else we can try? (the laptop is a hp laptop im not sure what model it doesnt say anywhere)

12 minutes ago, ShemBane said:

Hey so my friends laptop blue screened it said "your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart" or something like that and then when it restarted it put him in a screen saying "preparing automatic repair" we left it for about an hour and it didnt do anything so we tried something else we went into system diagnostics and ran a test on his laptop and everything passed nothing failed so then we tried to restore from a restore point but thanks to hp restore points were disabled on his laptop. we have no idea what to do now we want to try get all his important files off the laptop before we even think of a reset but is there anything else we can try? (the laptop is a hp laptop im not sure what model it doesnt say anywhere)

Given that's it's an HP, I'd pull the drive, slap it in a desktop and check the drive for errors. If none are found, save the critical data, and then put it back into the laptop and let win10 refresh the OS (which is one of the Advanced Options, IIRC, that allows you to keep all data and programs, and just resets the OS)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

14 minutes ago, ShemBane said:

Alternately, if you can find the crash dump files from the BSoD, upload them here, and I can pinpoint exactly where the system broke.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 3:39 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Alternately, if you can find the crash dump files from the BSoD, upload them here, and I can pinpoint exactly where the system broke.

hey so we sorted out the problem we just waited a few hours and he turned it on again and it worked and i maybe forgot about this post but thanks

1 hour ago, ShemBane said:

hey so we sorted out the problem we just waited a few hours and he turned it on again and it worked and i maybe forgot about this post but thanks

time heals all wounds