Trouble with transferring data Windows Server 2016 (BIOS vs UEFI and more)

D3monw3st

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my 2 TB HDD to a new 2TB SSD transferring over my data. I currently have my C:// and system on the 2 TB HDD and created a System Image Recovery backup on my 2 TB SSD. Since my OS is the Windows Server 2016, I have a few options to help me w/ this transfer. Since I'd like it to be a bare metal/carbon copy clone, I sought out Windows way of transferring the data. 

However, upon using Rufus to create my bootable ISO I was told that my HDD was created in BIOS mode and the ISO is in EFI, thus making it incompatible. 

I then re-created my Rufus ISO as BIOS, but could not figure out a way to boot into my USB through the Dell BIOS. Often, when I selected the One Shot Boot it would try to find a C:// on the USB (thanks dell?). 

I've attached some photos to this thread, any help would be very much appreciated. Whether it is using the Rufus ISO transfer or another method. 

Thank you!

IMG_6179.thumb.JPG.89a0716e9fcb67c70f055bc55d87b5b8.JPGIMG_6182.thumb.JPG.33ff8f3887c5bf2a70f1278b24ab19f5.JPGIMG_6181.thumb.JPG.23d0f69bc83e036fb21da5dae034d771.JPGIMG_6183.thumb.JPG.64ff662b22117f2cfcbee6c978593275.JPG

MFP (My First PC) - Mobo: MSI - X470 GAMING PRO CARBON | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 X | RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan 16 GB 3000 | STORAGE: Crucial MX500 M.2 500 GB | GPU: GTX 1080 | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C | FANS: 3 extra Noctura NF-F12 PWM 120mm | PSU: EVGA 750 W Semi-Modular 
MFL (My First Laptop) - 15 inch Mac Book Pro w/ Touch Bar 
OD (Old Desktop) - 5k iMac 27 inch

12 minutes ago, D3monw3st said:

then re-created my Rufus ISO as BIOS, but could not figure out a way to boot into my USB through the Dell BIOS. Often, when I selected the One Shot Boot it would try to find a C:// on the USB (thanks dell?). 

I think you need to change the hdd boot order to boot from the usb. But id really suggest leaving it in uefi, and enabling uefi boot

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I think you need to change the hdd boot order to boot from the usb. But id really suggest leaving it in uefi, and enabling uefi boot

The HDD boot order is as shown, where it is reading it as a C:// drive and the other ports (see the 1st image). From that, I can only change around that order. Also, I did use UEFI and enabled the boot which let me into the ISO; however, this is the error: IMG_6177.thumb.JPG.4d4e0b720f0ccf616f1e4109743e14b0.JPG

MFP (My First PC) - Mobo: MSI - X470 GAMING PRO CARBON | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 X | RAM: Team T-Force Vulcan 16 GB 3000 | STORAGE: Crucial MX500 M.2 500 GB | GPU: GTX 1080 | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C | FANS: 3 extra Noctura NF-F12 PWM 120mm | PSU: EVGA 750 W Semi-Modular 

1 minute ago, D3monw3st said:

The HDD boot order is as shown, where it is reading it as a C:// drive and the other ports (see the 1st image). From that, I can only change around that order. Also, I did use UEFI and enabled the boot which let me into the ISO; however, this is the error: 

can you put both drives in the system and just dd the files over or use a program like clone zilla?

Id try using a different version of the iso if its not booting, that config should boot it.

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

can you put both drives in the system and just dd the files over or use a program like clone zilla?

Id try using a different version of the iso if its not booting, that config should boot it.

What do you mean by dd? Also, it appears that clone zilla doesn't support Windows server 2016. 

3 minutes ago, D3monw3st said:

What do you mean by dd? Also, it appears that clone zilla doesn't support Windows server 2016. 

dd is a program in linux for cloingn disks.

Clonezilla should need the os to be compatible, it just copies the blocks on the hdds.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

dd is a program in linux for cloingn disks.

Clonezilla should need the os to be compatible, it just copies the blocks on the hdds.

Okay, I see. Since I'm not in Linux, I've tried iDrive but they say that my new SSD is 0.001 GB smaller so it cannot copy. However, funny enough, Windows says that my SSD is 1 GB bigger. 

Just now, D3monw3st said:

Okay, I see. Since I'm not in Linux, I've tried iDrive but they say that my new SSD is 0.001 GB smaller so it cannot copy. However, funny enough, Windows says that my SSD is 1 GB bigger. 

Can you shrink the partition on the hdd by a fe gigs?

Id boot into a live linux usb, and do the cloning in there.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you shrink the partition on the hdd by a fe gigs?

Id boot into a live linux usb, and do the cloning in there.

Oh, I see what you are suggesting. Boot off of a linux USB and then clone the disks through a linux program?

Just now, D3monw3st said:

Oh, I see what you are suggesting. Boot off of a linux USB and then clone the disks through a linux program?

ypu thats what ive done in the past and it works well.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

ypu thats what ive done in the past and it works well.

Great, thank you for suggesting. Should I just put line Ubuntu 18.04? Also, what would be the commands to run? 

9 hours ago, D3monw3st said:

Great, thank you for suggesting. Should I just put line Ubuntu 18.04? Also, what would be the commands to run? 

Os doesn't really matter, id go 20.04 as its newer, but won't matter.

Make sure you have a backup first.

THen run dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

sda is the drive you want to copy from in this case, and sdb is the drive you want to copy to.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Os doesn't really matter, id go 20.04 as its newer, but won't matter.

Make sure you have a backup first.

THen run dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

sda is the drive you want to copy from in this case, and sdb is the drive you want to copy to.

Okay, thank you. And for these you want me to write the disks instance path?

4 minutes ago, D3monw3st said:

Okay, thank you. And for these you want me to write the disks instance path?

yea full path to the disks in /dev.