Can Windows 10 run on Coreboot?

Shutset

I'm saving up for a Thelio desktop from System76.

Some of their laptops, now, are installed with Coreboot and I can't wait until the desktops are too.

However, I found myself wondering if Windows 10 can actually function properly on a Coreboot system or the Open Firmware

System76 boasts (which is based on Coreboot, as far as I know).

Has anyone ever tried it?

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Shutset said:

I'm saving up for a Thelio desktop from System76.

Some of their laptops, now, are installed with Coreboot and I can't wait until the desktops are too.

However, I found myself wondering if Windows 10 can actually function properly on a Coreboot system or the Open Firmware

System76 boasts (which is based on Coreboot, as far as I know).

Has anyone ever tried it?

Thanks.

since the laptops contains hardware that any other gaming laptop can, I don't think youll have to worry about that at all, alltho you won't be able to configure the laptop firmware on windows, that's all (unless system76 makes a windows program for it) (this also applies to desktop ones assuming they finally have the open source firmware now)

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

In that case, I should make sure I have Pop_OS! installed alongside Windows so I can use it to configure and update the firmware, right?

1 minute ago, Shutset said:

In that case, I should make sure I have Pop_OS! installed alongside Windows so I can use it to configure and update the firmware, right?

sure, but youll kinda have a hard time going from pop os to windows in dual boot as window's bootloader doesn't detect linux at all nowdays (at least that's what I think) but if you know how or you are going to research then ngl, sure you can

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

13 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

but youll kinda have a hard time going from pop os to windows in dual boot as window's bootloader doesn't detect linux at all nowdays

But the various bootloaders used with Linux do detect Windows boot manager, Win/Linux dual boot has literally never been a problem. 

To the original question system76 even have a guide to install Windows so that's fine of course.

http://support.system76.com/articles/dual-booting/

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

But the various bootloaders used with Linux do detect Windows boot manager, Win/Linux dual boot has literally never been a problem. 

To the original question system76 even have a guide to install Windows so that's fine of course.

http://support.system76.com/articles/dual-booting/

That is fine although I do like to have my operating systems encrypted.

If my Pop_OS! is already encrypted, can I still shrink the volume, in GParted, to make room for Windows?

3 minutes ago, Shutset said:

That is fine although I do like to have my operating systems encrypted.

If my Pop_OS! is already encrypted, can I still shrink the volume, in GParted, to make room for Windows.

I'm not sure but as long as the drive is unlocked (or "decrypted"), you can still do your partitioning due to how the drive is working, If I am wrong, then it could just ask for your encrypted drive password before you proceed Partitioning but imo I wouldn't worry about that

My PC

I've never used encrypted storage under linux so no idea if gparted and the like can manage and resize encrypted partitions the same way as unencrypted ones, or if it's easy to temporarily unencrypt, modify then reencrypt.

But since it's a new machine you could always reinstall pop os straight after getting it and specifying a smaller partition size then.

Or you could always get a 2nd SSD to install Windows on.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2