GPU Causing short?

NickyNitwit

Everything was working fine last night, until I tried to boot my PC up this morning. Hit the power button it turned on for a split second then stopped, hit it again and nothing. Plugged out the GPU and it ran fine on the integrated graphics, and even did a CMOS clear. It's been working fine for the past year so is it time I get a new GPU?

Specs:

Antec Neo Eco Classic 550

MSI AMD RX 570 Armor OC 8GB

AMD Ryzen 3200G

16GB Corsair Ram

AsRock B450M

Already posted in the Graphics Card thread but thought I'd also put it here but, my GPU seems to be causing my PC to be unable to boot but it was fine until this morning. I've had it in my PC for almost a year now and it's been working fine. I've tried all the basic troubleshooting measures and it works fine on integrated graphics, but when I try to boot with my GPU it dies. Is it time to get a new GPU?

My Specs:

Antec Neo Eco Classis 550w

AsRock B450m

Ryzen 3200g

MSI Radeon RX570 OC 8G

It could be a range of things. Have you checked that all your cables, to and from the PSU are seated properly, and that the GPU is also seated properly? 

CPU: AMD 5800X                                            RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB (3200MHz)                                                OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                         

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC           Storage: WD SN750 1TB + Samsung 860 Evo 500GB + 2TB Seagate HDD         Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow                                       

MOBO: MSI X570 Tomahawk (Wi-Fi)              PSU: Corsair RM 850x                                                                                             CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black        

Mouse: Corsair M55                                        Keyboard: Corsair K55                                                                                            Headset: HyperX Cloud II                                           

Just now, Jetrise said:

It could be a range of things. Have you checked that all your cables, to and from the PSU are seated properly, and that the GPU is also seated properly? 

Yep, reseated the GPU, tried a new cable and still nothing

Have you tried a different GPU in the 16x slot? Does the GPU show any signs of power (fans spinning etc).

CPU: AMD 5800X                                            RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB (3200MHz)                                                OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                         

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC           Storage: WD SN750 1TB + Samsung 860 Evo 500GB + 2TB Seagate HDD         Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow                                       

MOBO: MSI X570 Tomahawk (Wi-Fi)              PSU: Corsair RM 850x                                                                                             CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black        

Mouse: Corsair M55                                        Keyboard: Corsair K55                                                                                            Headset: HyperX Cloud II                                           

Just now, Jetrise said:

Have you tried a different GPU in the 16x slot? Does the GPU show any signs of power (fans spinning etc).

I haven't tried that, but it seems to be completely dead, when I hit the power button it turn on for about half a second then shuts off completely. It might be the surge protector on the PSU? Not too sure but I'll try putting it in a new slot

Yep, best thing to do with these issues is a process of elimiation. Best way to test if it is the GPU is to either put a new GPU in the 16x slot, or put your current GPU in another system. If it works, either your Motherboard or PSU has had it. Otherwise, you have a dead GPU. 

4 minutes ago, Jetrise said:

If it works, either your Motherboard or PSU has had it.

not necessarily. Its much more prevalent on intel's, but you could just need a cpu reseat. Something could stop one of the pcie related pins on cpu to not contact right.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

not necessarily. Its much more prevalent on intel's, but you could just need a cpu reseat. Something could stop one of the pcie related pins on cpu to not contact right.

Interesting. What would be the root cause of that, a pin not making contact?

7 minutes ago, Jetrise said:

Yep, best thing to do with these issues is a process of elimiation. Best way to test if it is the GPU is to either put a new GPU in the 16x slot, or put your current GPU in another system. If it works, either your Motherboard or PSU has had it. Otherwise, you have a dead GPU. 

Looks like it's a dead GPU. Any way I can salvage it?

-= Topics Merged =-

One posting of a topic is enough.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, NickyNitwit said:

What was your process of elimiation? Did it not work in another system?

Just now, Jetrise said:

What was your process of elimiation? Did it not work in another system?

Don't have another system to try it in, but putting it in another x16 slot seemed to not work either. PC is working fine with the onboard Vega graphics

1 minute ago, NickyNitwit said:

Don't have another system to try it in, but putting it in another x16 slot seemed to not work either. PC is working fine with the onboard Vega graphics

Just putting it in the other 16x slot won't be enough. Try and reseat your CPU as @HelpfulTechWizardsaid. 

1 hour ago, Jetrise said:

Interesting. What would be the root cause of that, a pin not making contact?

yeah. a spec of  dust, or a slight bend (like microscopicly small) could just make the gpu....... not work. a reseat would always be a good try.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, NickyNitwit said:

Same thing happened with my R9 280, although the fans of the GPU, CPU cooler and case ran (no post though). Turned out the GPU died, and I actually revived it by disassembling it and blowing a hair dryer directly on the main die until the dryer over-heated (which was about 12 minutes. I wanted 15).