Build From Hell

Rombo Deadfish

I have purchased the following components. 

Corsair Graphite 600T Case

Corsair AX860i PSU

Asus Maximus VI Formula MB

Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

Intel I7-4770K

Crucial Ballistix DDR3 32GB Ram

Corsair AIR Flow Series Quiet Edition 120MM Exhaust Fan

Corsair 200MM Intake Fan (Included with case)

2 Noctua NF-F12 Fans For the H100i

Asus GTX 780Ti

Previous to this for a month a had

Corsair 300R Carbide Case

3 Corsair Air Flow Quiet Edition Series Fans (2 Intake 1 Exhaust)

16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 RAM

MSI GTX 760

Intel I5-4670

Asus Z87-A MB

Noctua NH-U12DXi4 CPU Cooler

Corsair RM750 PSU

The second system ran like a charm. The 3 case fans were mostly around 350RPM and the CPU temperature when playing NFS Most Wanted 2012 never rose above 36C

I assembled my new system this past weekend. After running it for an hour or so it just shut down.  I shut off the PSU, unplugged all of the cables from it, did the self test it came up green for okay.  Plugged all the modular power cables back in and everything started backup again.  After running it for a day I noticed that the speakers pop when I first turn on the system (before windows loads or the bios screen comes up)  The speaker also pop when I shut down.  I loaded the AI Suite as well as Corsair link to monitor everything.  I notice that when the system is idle the CPU temps are closer to 40C than 30C with my previous build.  I also notice that when playing NFS Most Wanted 2012 the CPU temp at some points hits 50C plus.  This is what the stock intel cooler did on my previous system so I replaced it with the noctua.  What is most troubling is that the MB VRM temps hit 60 when I am playing NFS Most Wanted 2012.  The CPU isnt even under 50% load.  The system is in Turbo mode. I have done nothing with the graphics card and haven't even thought about OCing with the system in this state.  The BIOS has been updated to the latest version and the intake and exhaust fans are running at around 800RPM.  The fans on the radiator are at about 1100RPM.

Both systems have a LF Blue Ray Burner.  Samsung 1TB 840 EVO for Boot Drive. WD 1TB Caviar Black for second drive and 3rd hard drive is WD Intellipower Green (To be used for storage craft desktop image file backups eventually)

Does anyone have any insight as to why I am having heat problems with my new build?  I would have exptected an overal temperature decrease rather than increase with these newer better components.   The new build is running in the same exact environment as the old build was. In fact the new build is in the same exact spot as the old one was run.

I thank anyone in advance for their respnse to this post.

Hopeless heat getting ready to RMA Motherboard

Gaming Rig: Corsair Graphite 600T, Asus Maximus VI Formula, Intel I7-4770K, Corsair H100i, Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866MHZ 32GB, ASUS DirectCU II OC GTX780TI, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 1TB WD Back, 4TB WD Green, Corsair AX860i

Work Rig: Fractal Design Arc Midi 2, Asus Z87-A, Intel I7-4770K, Noctua NH-U12S, Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600MHZ 32GB, ASUS DirectCU II OC GTX 760, 1TB Samsung EVO 840 (x2), 4TB WD Green, Corsair RM750

Weird... My specs are almost the same except the fact that I have a liquid cooling system.

Is the heat a big problem? I mean, if it didn't really affect any hardware except that it's just hot, maybe you could deal with it?

Not trying to be rude.

Error 404: No signature found.

I would get a Noctua NH-D14.  Sell your H100i.  I hate closed loop water coolers with a passion I find them very cheap and break easily.  Just my opinion, not trying to be rude or anything. 

I have to agree with the first post, while the temps you have indicated are higher than normal they are certainly not anything to be worried about. BTW putting the Mother board into turbo mode DOES overclock the cpu to around 4.2 ghz. This didn't happen with your previous system causerie the processor wasn't overclockable, but the 4770k is.

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

Weird... My specs are almost the same except the fact that I have a liquid cooling system.

Is the heat a big problem? I mean, if it didn't really affect any hardware except that it's just hot, maybe you could deal with it?

Not trying to be rude.

Thanks for your response.   The H100i is a liquid cooler, and I would expect better performance out of it than the nocuta solution that I had before with the 120mm fan.  If the VRM temps are going into the red when the cpu is under 50% load then the heat is an issue.  Also my memory is rated for 1600MHZ but the MB only registers it at 1333MHZ.  I spoke to asus and they said that they have less than a 1% failure rate but they suggested that I return the board to the original vendor.  Any idea why my system is heating up more with the liquid cooler than the previous one did with the Noctua 120MM CPU Cooler.  From all reviews from linux I was under the impression that a h100i with 2 noctua fans were the way to go.

Gaming Rig: Corsair Graphite 600T, Asus Maximus VI Formula, Intel I7-4770K, Corsair H100i, Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1866MHZ 32GB, ASUS DirectCU II OC GTX780TI, 1TB Samsung EVO 840, 1TB WD Back, 4TB WD Green, Corsair AX860i

Work Rig: Fractal Design Arc Midi 2, Asus Z87-A, Intel I7-4770K, Noctua NH-U12S, Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600MHZ 32GB, ASUS DirectCU II OC GTX 760, 1TB Samsung EVO 840 (x2), 4TB WD Green, Corsair RM750

Temps are completely normal, nothing to worry about at all, in fact don't even start to worry until you hit the 80's. As for the speakers popping that is also normal with the Maximus VI boards. Your build is fine, don't worry, just enjoy it.

I have to agree with the first post, while the temps you have indicated are higher than normal they are certainly not anything to be worried about. BTW putting the Mother board into turbo mode DOES overclock the cpu to around 4.2 ghz. This didn't happen with your previous system causerie the processor wasn't overclockable, but the 4770k is.

The CPU supports turbo mode and is only running at 3.9GHZ so it isn't overclocked.  The previous build ran at 3.8GHZ eventhough it was rated lower with out any issues.  I am getting all of this info from the ASUS AI Suite.

Temps are completely normal, nothing to worry about at all, in fact don't even start to worry until you hit the 80's. As for the speakers popping that is also normal with the Maximus VI boards. Your build is fine, don't worry, just enjoy it.

I had a Z87-A prior and the speakers didn't pop when I powered on.  According to ASUS this should not be happening.

Thanks for your response.   The H100i is a liquid cooler, and I would expect better performance out of it than the nocuta solution that I had before with the 120mm fan.  If the VRM temps are going into the red when the cpu is under 50% load then the heat is an issue.  Also my memory is rated for 1600MHZ but the MB only registers it at 1333MHZ.  I spoke to asus and they said that they have less than a 1% failure rate but they suggested that I return the board to the original vendor.  Any idea why my system is heating up more with the liquid cooler than the previous one did with the Noctua 120MM CPU Cooler.  From all reviews from linux I was under the impression that a h100i with 2 noctua fans were the way to go.

Having to set the memory speed manually is also completely normal, just fix it in the BIOS. The H100i is by no means the best cooler on the market and it's not unusual to see Noctua offerings throw the same temps. That being said remember you upgraded to a chip that will undoubtedly run hotter.

I would get a Noctua NH-D14.  Sell your H100i.  I hate closed loop water coolers with a passion I find them very cheap and break easily.  Just my opinion, not trying to be rude or anything. 

Acording to the reviews from linus the H100i and 2 noctua fans should provide a superior solution to an Air cooled system.  Have I been taken in by watching his youtube reviews?

I had a Z87-A prior and the speakers didn't pop when I powered on.  According to ASUS this should not be happening.

The ASUS representative you've spoken to is a moron then, it happens on every Maximus VI boards I've handled (and that's quite a few by now), and I've never heard of one that didn't have this trait.

Having to set the memory speed manually is also completely normal, just fix it in the BIOS. The H100i is by no means the best cooler on the market and it's not unusual to see Noctua offerings throw the same temps. That being said remember you upgraded to a chip that will undoubtedly run hotter.

I did try setting it manually and it the bios is said that it was registered at 1333 but running at 1600 that it was set to manually.   What about the VRM temps?  is it normal from them to go above 60C under 50% load?

I did try setting it manually and it the bios is said that it was registered at 1333 but running at 1600 that it was set to manually.   What about the VRM temps?  is it normal from them to go above 60C under 50% load?

Yes.

Yes.

Then what is considered an unacceptable temperature for the VRMs?

Then what is considered an unacceptable temperature for the VRMs?

Most VRM components are rated for well over 100°C.

Acording to the reviews from linus the H100i and 2 noctua fans should provide a superior solution to an Air cooled system.  Have I been taken in by watching his youtube reviews?

Linus is not wrong by any means, however the h100i is made of plastic is it not?  Aircoolers are just higher quality and are slightly less cooling.  If you want water cooling do it custom.  My opinion.

Linus is not wrong by any means, however the h100i is made of plastic is it not?  Aircoolers are just higher quality and are slightly less cooling.  If you want water cooling do it custom.  My opinion.

Linus has boasted about how good of a solution the h100i is from what I am seeing while it does look nice in the case I might be better off going to the noctua 120MM air cooler that I had before.  It seems to have performed better.  Or maybe even up it one with their 140MM version.

At this point I am wondering if the ROG Armor all over the board is helping or hindering the cooling of its integrated components.  Any thoughts?

At this point I am wondering if the ROG Armor all over the board is helping or hindering the cooling of its integrated components.  Any thoughts?

Why are you worrying about all this instead of enjoying your build? Everything you've listed is completely normal, there's nothing wrong with your build. You can't enjoy the money you've spent if you keep wondering if something is wrong.

Why are you worrying about all this instead of enjoying your build? Everything you've listed is completely normal, there's nothing wrong with your build. You can't enjoy the money you've spent if you keep wondering if something is wrong.

Okay would you suggest replacing the closed loop water cooler with a Noctual 140MM AIR Cooled solution?

Okay would you suggest replacing the closed loop water cooler with a Noctual 140MM AIR Cooled solution?

I would suggest you do nothing, sit down and start playing some games. I personally prefer a good air cooler over any AIO water cooling unit, but your build is fine. You've already invested in an H100i, there's absolutely no reason to spend another 100 dollars to bring down your temps 1 or 2 degrees.

I would suggest you do nothing, sit down and start playing some games. I personally prefer a good air cooler over any AIO water cooling unit, but your build is fine. You've already invested in an H100i, there's absolutely no reason to spend another 100 dollars to bring down your temps 1 or 2 degrees.

I will sleep on this.  Last thing.  At what point would you worry about the VRM temps?  According to the AI Suite 60C is overheating.  BTW:  Thanks for all of your replies.

I will sleep on this.  Last thing.  At what point would you worry about the VRM temps?  According to the AI Suite 60C is overheating.  BTW:  Thanks for all of your replies.

AI Suite is pretty rubbish though. I wouldn't worry about VRM temperatures at all, I have in fact never even heard about VRM's failing without being severely abused.

AI Suite is pretty rubbish though. I wouldn't worry about VRM temperatures at all, I have in fact never even heard about VRM's failing without being severely abused.

I disabled turbo mode in the BIOS and the VRMs are running cooler now that the CPU muliplier is at x35 vs x39.  This just burns me as I was basically running the board with the ASUS optimized defaults.  More testing in line for tomorrow night.  I wish that I could speak to a high level tech at ASUS about the situation.  I have purchased an SB Sound Card to see if that will resolve the speaker popping issue.  All that I saw on the ASUS Youtube channel was how much engineering and quality went into the integrated ROG sound card and I get speaker pop on it while it doesn't happen on their entry level z87-a MB.  Just doesn't make sense.

@Rombo Deadfish, at idle my vram temps hover around 40C. I haven't really watched how they act under stress and I don't see why I should. If you are so worried, check how airflow over them is. With AIOs they don't get same airflow as with air coolers so if you are exhausting to top with 2 fans, you might want to test having rear fan intaking over vrms.

As for popping issue with speakers. Thats either wire issue or just bad built quality of sound chip. I remember having that with old, old mobo. Now I get same effect when I change sound profile of soundcard. So check cable and maybe lower volume from speaker side.

On another note, throw AI Suite to trash. Something like HWmonitor or OpenHardwareMonitor is much better for checking temps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv