Transferring Windows to a new motherboard

methanebomb
Go to solution Solved by AndreiArgeanu,
3 minutes ago, methanebomb said:

Hello, Im currently in the process of making a dual system build with an intel cpu and threadripper cpu. The intel OS which is windows 10 is on a ssd in alienware motherboard, but what I was wondering is if it is possible just to take the ssd out and just throw it into another motherboard without having to do anything. I factory reset windows so its at the startup portion. 

You can and it will work perfectly fine, except your Windows 10 license will be deactivated as a result.

Hello, Im currently in the process of making a dual system build with an intel cpu and threadripper cpu. The intel OS which is windows 10 is on a ssd in alienware motherboard, but what I was wondering is if it is possible just to take the ssd out and just throw it into another motherboard without having to do anything. I factory reset windows so its at the startup portion. 

4 minutes ago, methanebomb said:

Yes Windows 10 is possible to do that.

Altho there can be some issues going from Intel to AMD (or the other way around) but ive done it succesfuly.

But ive also had it not work, so it might just be a gamble.

I would say try.

But if you want to do that more often i would advice a dual-boot option on the bootdisk.

Just now, Dk SPYder said:

you might need some new bios but other then that it should be ok

Please explain why this matters for this situation, as ive never heard of this being necessary.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

3 minutes ago, methanebomb said:

You can and it will work perfectly fine, except your Windows 10 license will be deactivated as a result.

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

Altho there can be some issues going from Intel to AMD (or the other way around) but ive done it succesfuly.

I would say try.

But if you want to do that more often i would advice a dual-boot option on the bootdisk.

the ssd is still going to be on an intel motherboard, just m-itx thats all

3 minutes ago, Dk SPYder said:

you might need some new bios but other then that it should be ok

would I have to make a new boot drive if its going a new mb

6 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

I would say try.

Please explain why this matters for this situation, as ive never heard of this being necessary.

well it shouldnt be a problem, since bios is already on the motherboard. 

1 minute ago, Dk SPYder said:

I would say yes for most cases but I need a bit more context 

so, im taking out my 9th gen core i7 9700 out of my alienware r8 along with the windows 10 os (on a m.2 ssd). I plan on taking said cpu and ssd and putting it in a case like the phanteks enthoo pro 2. the intel cpu and ssd with the os will be going on a m-itx motherboard. my only concern was will I have to do anything if I just the the ssd from one mb and out it on a new one.

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Just to add to what I said previously, drivers shouldn't really matter, I moved my ssd from my old pc which had an intel cpu and nvidia graphics, plugged it in my current full AMD system and it worked perfectly fine. Worst case scenario you have to restart Windows in safe mode and uninstall the old drivers which isn't that hard to do. But yeah, if you're going from Intel to Intel it's highly unlikely that you will experience any issues.