Is there anything wrong with my Xeon E3-1230 V2?

I bought a cheap Xeon E3-1230 V2 from Aliexpress and I noticed that it only operates at maximum 2600Mhz:

xeon.jpg.3766a73a73a9c56aa6781fae75c13756.jpg

Is it BIOS settings or maybe the CPU is defective and they locked it to 2600Mhz?

Thanks

1 minute ago, Frandesktop said:

I bought a cheap Xeon E3-1230 V2 from Aliexpress and I noticed that it only operates at maximum 2600Mhz:

xeon.jpg.3766a73a73a9c56aa6781fae75c13756.jpg

Is it BIOS settings or maybe the CPU is defective and they locked it to 2600Mhz?

Thanks

Looks like it reports as being able to boost to 3700 MHz (multiplier of 16-37). So could be BIOS, or could be a bad chip...

What mobo? Is there an updated BIOS you can update to? This would be hard to diagnose over the internet, maybe some others will chime in with better advice. Mobo BIOS is just SO different board to board, it would be hard to say without going through every screen in person where to even look. All I can say to easily do it look for a BIOS update (may be a newer version available) or try resetting the BIOS.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

2 minutes ago, Frandesktop said:

I noticed that it only operates at maximum 2600Mhz

Based on what?  That screenshot certainly doesn't suggest it maxes out at 2.6GHz.  It just shows the current speed.  A CPU doesn't always go at its highest speed.  It fluctuates to not waste power.

Check with HWMonitor to log the different speeds it goes to (preferably while playing a game or something), and also check your Power settings in Windows to make sure the speed isn't capped.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Based on what?  That screenshot certainly doesn't suggest it maxes out at 2.6GHz.  It just shows the current speed.  A CPU doesn't always go at its highest speed.  It fluctuates to not waste power.

Check with HWMonitor to log the different speeds it goes to (preferably while playing a game or something), and also check your Power settings in Windows to make sure the speed isn't capped.

Because I am running Prime95 so I thought it should utilize 100% including boost. I just reseted BIOS settings and it went back to x33 multiplier, but the problem is that now it's stuck at 78% utilization:

xeon2.jpg.379bd48267e2285a68abf5b00d37ccb2.jpg

57 minutes ago, Frandesktop said:

Because I am running Prime95 so I thought it should utilize 100% including boost. I just reseted BIOS settings and it went back to x33 multiplier, but the problem is that now it's stuck at 78% utilization:

xeon2.jpg.379bd48267e2285a68abf5b00d37ccb2.jpg

That's Task Manager, not HWMonitor.  Task Manager is rarely very accurate.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

HWMonitor also showed 2600Mhz.. Then I went to BIOS and reset BIOS twice, and then it went back to normal

Update: Still, it seem to not reach the maximum boost speed of 3700 and gets stuck at 3500:

test.jpg.a9172d9d2fda690762db56edde0083c7.jpg

19 hours ago, Frandesktop said:

Update: Still, it seem to not reach the maximum boost speed of 3700 and gets stuck at 3500:

I need to see the whole thing. Not these little clips.  After running HWMonitor with a game or whatever you use the computer for (not Prime95, it needs to be something real-world), save the monitoring data and upload it here.

I switched motherboard from Intel DH61WW to Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3 and it works fully now, even higher, sometimes reaching 3800Mhz... so I guess it was a motherboard issue?

1 hour ago, Frandesktop said:

I switched motherboard from Intel DH61WW to Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2-B3 and it works fully now, even higher, sometimes reaching 3800Mhz... so I guess it was a motherboard issue?

Are you overclocking it? I'm not sure how that would be possible at stock since the maximum all-core turbo is 3.5GHz and maximum single-core turbo is 3.7GHz (which your previous post suggested is working as intended).

On 12/29/2020 at 3:12 AM, Frandesktop said:

2 hours ago, Pooky said:

Are you overclocking it? I'm not sure how that would be possible at stock since the maximum all-core turbo is 3.5GHz and maximum single-core turbo is 3.7GHz (which your previous post suggested is working as intended).

It's weird because for a short period of times it boosts to over 3700 and hitting 3800~.. I will try to take a photo of it. But maybe it's an error in Task Manager as you said it's not accurate (I saw it by chance when I opened Task Manager so I'll try to see it with HWMonitor or HWiNFO)

14 hours ago, Frandesktop said:

It's weird because for a short period of times it boosts to over 3700 and hitting 3800~.. I will try to take a photo of it. But maybe it's an error in Task Manager as you said it's not accurate (I saw it by chance when I opened Task Manager so I'll try to see it with HWMonitor or HWiNFO)

You don't need to take a photo of it.  Just run it with HWMonitor for awhile and save the log information.  That will show the highs and lows from the time you open it.

Usually, when all cores are active, a CPU won't boost to its highest frequency.  There are power limitations.  Even when it's single threaded though, different things like thermals can limit speed.  It's why we need to see the full picture.

• 2 years later...

Im aware that this thread is ancient, but if anyone else stumbles upon this issue, its worth noting that these xeon e3's tend to not work with consumer motherboards despite it being lga1155, the same as the consumer ivy bridge lineup. Supermicro x9scm series boards are dirt cheap and run these with no problems with full support