Rant: whoever is doing (Intel) Gigabyte bios's is ducking annoying

-There is absolutely no description for most shit in the BIOS.  not even the manual describes tons of settings.

-It's like some dumb intern was put in charge of it and there is literal descriptions that were copy pasted from Intel technical documentation "sets mailbox flag 0x288 to 00Fh".  WHAT THE DUCK DOES THAT MEAN?  Look, if you don't even know what it does...it doesn't need to clutter up the ducking menus being presented as an option.

-You'd think just setting the multiplier would change the all-core multiplier to that.  NOPE.  You've got to go into the turbo ratios and set all of the core limits to that multiplier manual.  

The big one:

Voltage control on my Z490 Ultra is completely ducking broken.  Fixed works because a mongoloid monkey could make that work but Adaptive-Select vs. Adaptive-Legacy vs. Override (what the duck is the difference?  Who knows...they don't even know!) just loses its ducking mind decides "I set 1.6V now?".  Literally nothing is set to 1.6V...I set to 1.1V and it still decides to do 1.6V.  I set it to 1.2V...it decides to do 1.6V.  

How is this even ducking complicated?  Z490 is literally Z390 with a different socket.  How can they be such huge fuckups in life?  I had Gigabyte Z270 and Z390 boards and neither was this horrible.

Edited by LogicalDrm
Pacified by moderation

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I found this amusing until I realised I have the Z490 Elite AC in my latest build. Picked it on a recommendation in another thread here, based on balance of price and the VRM isn't total garbage. Haven't got around to OC it at all yet. Wonder if it behaves similarly. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

28 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Gigabyte

It's been my experience as a system builder many years ago, that the "legacy" BIOS was far more sane across the board than UEFI ones.

Once UEFI and especially the OCing menus came to be commonplace, it was like a race to see who could shove the most bling into the BIOS, and it seemed for a time that MSI was the winner here, but as of late (again, my opinion only) Gigabyte is now in the lead.

I do miss the clear and simple blue background/white text of legacy BIOSes.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

* Manuals not describing features is a common, decades-old practice.

* Retarded is something that crops up often. (they think we are all engineers)

My MSI B450M Mortar doesn't even show printed labels on the mainboard for the front panel connectors. You have to refer to the manual to connect the basics. I kid you not. I never expected that.

The BIOS itself shows a huge "conquer the battlefield" message. I kid you not. The board doesn't read SPD settings properly from my JEDEC-compliant, ultra-boring Kingston RAM. I can go on...

The manual completely skips over all of the "voltage" section.  Like there's zero description in there what Adaptive or Override is.

It's so bad that even where they give a description that's too long, its text is cut-off and not scrollabble.  This doesn't happen unless they're just yeeting shit into their SVN without even testing it.

I *think* I figured out why the voltage regulation is so fucked....it seems like whatever dummy built this BIOS didn't build it assuming ratios > 51...if I set 51 then all the values seem to be normal but if I go to 52 it's like it goes out-of-bounds in their lookup table and decides to default to 1.6V vcore that you have to do a negative offset from.  It's absurdly ducking dangerous because you could set 1.3V + 0 offset thinking that it's actually going to do 1.3V and then it'll just pop your chip with 1.8V because "duck it".

Edited by LogicalDrm
Pacified by moderation

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 hours ago, porina said:

I found this amusing until I realised I have the Z490 Elite AC in my latest build. Picked it on a recommendation in another thread here, based on balance of price and the VRM isn't total garbage. Haven't got around to OC it at all yet. Wonder if it behaves similarly. 

I only bought this board because of the VRM and my previous experience that the BIOS wasn't so horribly done.  This is the kind of shit where they need to get that team in a room and tell them to fix it or find another job.

(EDIT: and I bought it cause it should support Rocket Lake, but honestly with how pissed this situation got me I might just toss it and do Asus when that time comes)

I guess you haven't tried to OC a Biostop board lately haha!

I enjoy your rant. Exactly why I don't buy Gigabyte boards. You hit the nail on the head with every post :P

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I guess you haven't tried to OC a Biostop board lately haha!

I enjoy your rant. Exactly why I don't buy Gigabyte boards. You hit the nail on the head with every post :P

It's like their circuit designers are trying to make a good board but then it's the junior varsity retards who do the BIOS by just copy pasting whatever it was previously and cramming in a few more register settings that Intel gives them from the new management engine version.   It has to just be whoever is "maintaining" the BIOS there is new and doesn't understand what they're doing or how these settings should work.  Like I should be able to OC with 3 settings: multiplier, offset voltage, and XMP.  That's it.  Literally NO ONE is going to spend hours finding the best core or fucking with turbo ratios and shit on a *mid range* board.  Save all that shit for the Xtreme whatever version.

Another example: there's literally settings offered in the BIOS that say "enable this for mobile parts".  Do they not even realize this is a DESKTOP motherboard?

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

It's like their circuit designers are trying to make a good board but then it's the junior varsity retards who do the BIOS by just copy pasting whatever it was previously and cramming in a few more register settings that Intel gives them from the new management engine version.   It has to just be whoever is "maintaining" the BIOS there is new and doesn't understand what they're doing or how these settings should work.

Gigabyte has been that way as far back as I can remember. And the layout is trash. The settings are all spread out and shit. Some settings like a needle in the hay stack. 

Other than that quirky bios thing, they are sturdy boards. They can take a pounding. Getting used to how the board "reacts" to changes in the bios has a certain learning curve to it. God awful in my opinion.

7 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I *think* I figured out why the voltage regulation is so fucked....it seems like whatever dumb motherfucker built this BIOS didn't build it assuming ratios > 51...if I set 51 then all the values seem to be normal but if I go to 52 it's like it goes out-of-bounds in their lookup table and decides to default to 1.6V vcore that you have to do a negative offset from.  It's absurdly fucking dangerous because you could set 1.3V + 0 offset thinking that it's actually going to do 1.3V and then it'll just pop your chip with 1.8V because "fuck it".

Reminds me of a similar situation I got with an Asrock Z370 (now in the system I'm using currently). Boot at stock, use XTU to find an overclock through combo of voltage offset and multipliers. I was pushing it past 1.5v already so this was only for short term benching. Enter the same settings in bios. Next boot it was stupidly hot. It turns out, if you apply higher ratios in bios with voltage left on anything that isn't fixed, it will increase the voltage with set clock, which didn't happen with XTU. So I had double stacked voltage offsets and turned away NASA scientists sent to investigate the birth of a new star in my house. Basically, I avoid offset voltages now for OC. If I OC for benching I'd always used fixed. If that's broken, there's no hope left.

7 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

(EDIT: and I bought it cause it should support Rocket Lake, but honestly with how pissed this situation got me I might just toss it and do Asus when that time comes)

The main reason I didn't get the equivalent Asus was that their VRMs were worse for a similar price to the Gigabyte board. But still this doesn't sound promising. While I don't have a plan as such to buy Rocket Lake, it is still an option should future circumstances lead me to consider it.

I'm reminded of a Z97 gigabyte board. Worked fine with Haswell CPUs. There's a beta bios that added Broadwell support, and that's where the fun ended. Haswell was still fine, but for whatever reason the bios would not act on certain settings like power limit. It defaulted to power limit = TDP for a 5675C which knocked a fair bit of performance off. Changing the setting in bios had no effect. I could use XTU and increase power limit and that worked. Was kinda hoping they got their act together since then, I guess I was rather optimistic.

Somewhere I have a Gigabyte X99 board too. Never used it much, wonder if that has surprises for me if I dare go into the bios...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

*** Thread locked ***

Main reason because I had to censor some of the more colorful language as its against our core values. We do allow minor cursing, but using curse words in a way presented here with added name calling is not something we need here. Please leave your colorful expressions out of the forums and continue your rants without them.

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv