New ultrawide monitor for rtx 3080

migeo
Go to solution Solved by dizmo,
3 hours ago, migeo said:

My local Canada Computers had the CRG9 on display and I was able to see how big it is before the lockdown and I know now that I have enough space. That's why I'm even considering such large monitors.

I've never used G-Sync before but I thought since monitors are investments, you get them and they'll last longer than your PC (my current one lasted for 3 whole PC builds), I thought I might as well go more high-end and futureproof as much as possible which is why I thought of g-sync and HDR

I have a 3080 though, so isn't it locked to G-Sync? I know there are some Freesync monitors for which adaptive sync works with Nvidia GPUs but I read that most of the times you lose some features such as for example, lower max refresh rate. But I have included g-sync compatible (freesync) monitors now in my search (found them through pcpartpicker) but none of them were available at CanadaComputers

Ask anybody from Canada, CanadaComputers is not particularly great, but they are the largest chain which is why people keep on going to them. All backorders have to be ordered in store and I can't seem to enter gift cards paayment method. I read in one of their pages that you enter your gift card number the same place where you enter coupons but even then, it didn't accept it and I wasn't able to redeem it.

So far I've found these two additional monitors:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=094479

(^ newer variant of the one below AFAIK v)

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=139017

I'm leaving for Ottawa in a few minutes since the closest store that's open right now is 2 hours away. Hopefully during these 2 hours, I'd get a new reply, hopefully helping me decide on which monitor to order!

The Gsync comment was directed at someone else.

No, you can use FreeSync as well. The newer versions are a lot better though. It's not as good, but opens up a lot more options.

I am from Canada, I've never had to shop at Canada Computers. Did you try calling to see if you can get them to work that way?

For the difference in price I'd just go with one of the Samsungs.

I got my hands on a 3080 TUFfrom a Newegg drop and I want to get a new monitor to complement my new GPU. I have $310 in total from gift cards at Canada Computer and therefore, I'll be getting my monitor from there. So far, I've narrowed it down to these three and was wondering which one I should pick. I know that the odyssey g9 is 400 bucks more expensive than the other 2 but considering that it's currently on sale, I feel that it might be worth it to get it now, especially since I read that all QC issues have been resolved as well as new Nvidia driver updates fixed any other issues encountered with the monitor:

Acer Predator X34 (a classic):
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=121264

Asus ROG Swift PG349Q:
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=139017

Samsung Odyssey G9:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=175090

2 of the 3 monitors are on backorder but since I'm not pressed on getting the new monitor, it's fine if I wait a bit. If I do decide to go with the G9, I'll have to drive though from Montreal to Ottawa in order to place my order since all Canada Computers stores in Quebec are closed right now due to the lockdown while the ones in Ontario are still open and after calling them, I've confirmed that I can place backorders. If I go with one of the other 2, I'll wait until the lockdown is lifted (January 11th) and order it at a local Canada Computers.

Any other suggestions for monitors is welcome but ideally I'd prefer something with G-Sync and hopefully HDR (1000 would be ideal). Due to all of this, my top 3 choices in order are the following: 

1) G9

2) Asus ROG

3) Acer Predator

There are 2 other Samsung monitors that I've seen on Canada Computer's website but I'm not fully considering them since they do not have G-Sync, one of them has Freesync while the other one has no adaptive sync technology

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=125065

And 

C49RG9

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1965&item_id=136174

I feel that the upgrade from the CRG9 to the Odyssey G9 would be a worthy one due to G-Sync and HDR1000 but I am in no sense a monitor expert and would welcome any advice. Thank you very much!

9 minutes ago, migeo said:

I got my hands on a 3080 TUFfrom a Newegg drop and I want to get a new monitor to complement my new GPU. I have $310 in total from gift cards at Canada Computer and therefore, I'll be getting my monitor from there. So far, I've narrowed it down to these three and was wondering which one I should pick. I know that the odyssey g9 is 400 bucks more expensive than the other 2 but considering that it's currently on sale, I feel that it might be worth it to get it now, especially since I read that all QC issues have been resolved as well as new Nvidia driver updates fixed any other issues encountered with the monitor:

Acer Predator X34 (a classic):
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=121264

Asus ROG Swift PG349Q:

Samsung Odyssey G9:

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=175090

2 of the 3 monitors are on backorder but since I'm not pressed on getting the new monitor, it's fine if I wait a bit. If I do decide to go with the G9, I'll have to drive though from Montreal to Ottawa in order to place my order since all Canada Computers stores in Quebec are closed right now due to the lockdown while the ones in Ontario are still open and after calling them, I've confirmed that I can place backorders. If I go with one of the other 2, I'll wait until the lockdown is lifted (January 11th) and order it at a local Canada Computers.

Any other suggestions for monitors is welcome but ideally I'd prefer something with G-Sync and hopefully HDR (1000 would be ideal). Due to all of this, my top 3 choices in order are the following: 

1) G9

2) Asus ROG

3) Acer Predator

There are 2 other Samsung monitors that I've seen on Canada Computer's website but I'm not fully considering them since they do not have G-Sync, one of them has Freesync while the other one has no adaptive sync technology

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=125065

And 

C49RG9

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1965&item_id=136174

I feel that the upgrade from the CRG9 to the Odyssey G9 would be a worthy one due to G-Sync and HDR1000 but I am in no sense a monitor expert and would welcome any advice. Thank you very much!

Look on TFTcentral.co.uk for in depth reviews and look at the input lag numbers as well. Only because it is gaming does not mean it is actually fast. G-Sync and Freesync are gimmicks and should not be the decisive factor when buying a monitor.

9 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Look on TFTcentral.co.uk for in depth reviews and look at the input lag numbers as well. Only because it is gaming does not mean it is actually fast. G-Sync and Freesync are gimmicks and should not be the decisive factor when buying a monitor.

The idea and technology behind G-Sync (and Freesync) don't seem like gimmicks though. It reduces tearing and matches the refresh rate to your fps. Granted so far I've never used a g-sync monitor but I wanted to try it. Can you explain why it's not worth it? Thanks!

10 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

i want a g9 😭

same :(

wouldn't get the first 2 as they are outdated af compared to the 34GL850-B ( can't be that much more if it's 950usd) even if it's not available on that store, at least with the g9 you are looking at a new panel and 240hz in games that you can run it in.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

20 minutes ago, xg32 said:

wouldn't get the first 2 as they are outdated af compared to the 34GL850-B ( can't be that much more if it's 950usd) even if it's not available on that store, at least with the g9 you are looking at a new panel and 240hz in games that you can run it in.

It's unfortunately not available in any retailers in Canada. That's too bad because it seems like a good value

From the ones you've listed I'd go with the CRG9 or Odyssey if you have the space, but it's definitely something you should check before buying; they're extremely large. Not sure if they have them, but BenQ and AOC both make 35" monitors that might be better than the 34" ones you're looking at. I wouldn't worry too much about HDR, it'll probably be years until we see it properly implemented in games. I'd definitely try to get one with some form of adaptive sync, FreeSync 2 or better.

You can't order them online? Seems odd that you'd have to actually go in person to place an order.

3 hours ago, Applefreak said:

Have you ever used a monitor with GSync?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 12/28/2020 at 4:57 AM, dizmo said:

CRG9 or Odyssey if you have the space

My local Canada Computers had the CRG9 on display and I was able to see how big it is before the lockdown and I know now that I have enough space. That's why I'm even considering such large monitors.

Have you ever used a monitor with GSync?

I've never used G-Sync before but I thought since monitors are investments, you get them and they'll last longer than your PC (my current one lasted for 3 whole PC builds), I thought I might as well go more high-end and futureproof as much as possible which is why I thought of g-sync and HDR

I'd definitely try to get one with some form of adaptive sync, FreeSync 2 or better

I have a 3080 though, so isn't it locked to G-Sync? I know there are some Freesync monitors for which adaptive sync works with Nvidia GPUs but I read that most of the times you lose some features such as for example, lower max refresh rate. But I have included g-sync compatible (freesync) monitors now in my search (found them through pcpartpicker) but none of them were available at CanadaComputers

You can't order them online? Seems odd that you'd have to actually go in person to place an order.

Ask anybody from Canada, CanadaComputers is not particularly great, but they are the largest chain which is why people keep on going to them. All backorders have to be ordered in store and I can't seem to enter gift cards paayment method. I read in one of their pages that you enter your gift card number the same place where you enter coupons but even then, it didn't accept it and I wasn't able to redeem it.

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_700_1429&item_id=094479

I'm leaving for Ottawa in a few minutes since the closest store that's open right now is 2 hours away. Hopefully during these 2 hours, I'd get a new reply, hopefully helping me decide on which monitor to order!

3 hours ago, migeo said:

No, you can use FreeSync as well. The newer versions are a lot better though. It's not as good, but opens up a lot more options.

I am from Canada, I've never had to shop at Canada Computers. Did you try calling to see if you can get them to work that way?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

20 hours ago, dizmo said:

I backordered the G9, hopefully it won't take too long to be filled and when I was at the physical store, them employee told me that gift cards can only be used in store which is pretty stupid. Why can't we use gift cards online or even submit backorders online? I'll have to drive to Ottawa again once the G9 is in stock but hopefully ot won't take too long. Thanks for your help! 

3 hours ago, migeo said:

I backordered the G9, hopefully it won't take too long to be filled and when I was at the physical store, them employee told me that gift cards can only be used in store which is pretty stupid. Why can't we use gift cards online or even submit backorders online? I'll have to drive to Ottawa again once the G9 is in stock but hopefully ot won't take too long. Thanks for your help! 

It always blows my mind when a tech store can't figure out how to implement something like that. I'd ask them if they can ship it out once it arrives. If you pay for it, it shouldn't be that hard to accommodate. I'd honestly stop shopping there and go for Memory Express from now on.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It always blows my mind when a tech store can't figure out how to implement something like that. I'd ask them if they can ship it out once it arrives. If you pay for it, it shouldn't be that hard to accommodate. I'd honestly stop shopping there and go for Memory Express from now on.

If only memex had physical stores in QC

Just now, migeo said:

If only memex had physical stores in QC

Are you against ordering online?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Are you against ordering online?

Nope, not at all but sometimes I'd like to see a product in person (for example a case) before ordering. The reason I got my phanteks evolv x was because I saw it in person and liked it. 

Edit: and shipping costs are annoying 

34 minutes ago, migeo said:

Nope, not at all but sometimes I'd like to see a product in person (for example a case) before ordering. The reason I got my phanteks evolv x was because I saw it in person and liked it. 

Edit: and shipping costs are annoying 

Yeah, shipping can be a bit of a pain, but a lot less of a pain than having to drive 4 hours round trip ;)

Have you had an ultrawide monitor before? It takes a day or so to get used to, but once you do, there's no going back.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

On 12/30/2020 at 3:36 PM, dizmo said:

Yeah, shipping can be a bit of a pain, but a lot less of a pain than having to drive 4 hours round trip ;)

Have you had an ultrawide monitor before? It takes a day or so to get used to, but once you do, there's no going back.

I've had an ultrawide for the last 6-7 years. I can't go back to the traditional 16:9 since I always feel I'm missing stuff. Unfortunately when I moved houses last year, I'm not sure what happened but in the middle of the screen therw's bunch of dead pixels so changing monitors is something I've been looking forward to