How much over spec for PSU? New Build.

Goonygoon84

I am currently sitting at ~750W in all the power meters that I have looked at and I need to know how much over the peak wattage I should be buying for a power supply. I know that I should have a good overhead on wattage, but what amount overage should I have? 20% (900W), 50% (1125W), 100 (1500W)%?

Thank you for any input. PCpartpicker listed below.

Build is as follows:
Extra drives (Kingston A400's) listed are to account for the following:

3 x Buck converter (Fan regulation)

1 x EK D5 pump (May need 2, checking with the water cooling folks about flow, each is 30W)

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor $1429.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X ATX AM4 Motherboard $339.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory $214.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory $214.99 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $25.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $139.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $279.99 @ B&H
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $279.99 @ B&H
Video Card Asus GeForce RTX 3090 24 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card $2338.68 @ Amazon
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT ATX Desktop Case $337.66 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $108.78 @ Other World Computing
Case Fan Noctua P12-1300 54.36 CFM 120 mm Fan  
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $5866.94
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-26 10:22 EST-0500  

3 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

seven 240gb drives? why can't you just buy a 2tb ssd instead?

29 minutes ago, Goonygoon84 said:

1 x EK D5 pump (May need 2, checking with the water cooling folks about flow, each is 30W)

Why all those shitty ssds? Also if you wanna save A LOT of money and not have a performance impact the arctic p12's perform identical in all ways but are a fraction of the price (and yes they are very durable and last).

Also you are putting a massive amount of fans in a case with HORRIBLE airflow so most of those are just gonna sit around not doing anything. Get a better case to start with? Also the whole point of that case is to have 2 big fans in the front and that is it not small ones. Even then no matter your cooling that system will overheat as there is on 2 small points for air to enter in the front so for a high end system like this it's basically asking for bad performance in a ok looking case.

Also watch out with those ram kits especially when going 4 dimm get a 4 dimm kit no 2x2 to prevent issues.

For psu with all that added on crap here a 1000w b tier unit at least.

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why all those shitty ssds?

42 minutes ago, Goonygoon84 said:

case with HORRIBLE airflow

The top and front panel are being modded to allow for plenty of airflow. The fans are all on radiators and will be running at ~1000 rpm. There will be plenty of airflow.

1000w b tier

Thanks

5 minutes ago, beerdrunkmonk said:

I'd get at least 1000W for that build, maybe even 1200W if you're going to push things hard. 

Thanks, I have been leaning toward the 1200W, was wondering if more was needed or 1000-1200 was enough. Much appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Goonygoon84 said:

The top and front panel are being modded to allow for plenty of airflow.

Why not just get a case that has good airflow out of the gate? It's not a good case in general really. Also for fan controllers you can just use 3 (or more) of these and it will be more than fine https://www.amazon.com/Electop-Chassis-Cooling-Molex-Controller/dp/B071KNT7FW/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=fan+controller&qid=1609000892&sr=8-15

You can even daisy chain em like I've done plenty of time. One fan header controlled 48 fans at one point and it was all good.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Why not just get a case that has good airflow out of the gate? It's not a good case in general really

#1 I have all of the parts aside from the PSU.

#2 Because I like the look of the case

#3 I'm not afraid to mod

Do you have a different case in mind that would affect the wattage I need in terms of PSU?

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

use 3 (or more) of these

This would just run the fans at 100%.. Hence why I have built regulators.

1 minute ago, Goonygoon84 said:

#1 I have all of the parts aside from the PSU.

#2 Because I like the look of the case

#3 I'm not afraid to mod

Do you have a different case in mind that would affect the wattage I need in terms of PSU?

A case doesn't affect your psu needs at all. Only the things you put in it.

I don't know what you like but something like a core p5 if you like lots of glass and space?

Just now, Goonygoon84 said:

This would just run the fans at 100%.. Hence why I have built regulators.

No. These will not run the fans at 100%. These will run the fans at the speed the red headers gets sent as an input. The power connector is there to make sure that there is enough power to run all the fans at the expected speed that the motherboard asks for.

Let's get the obvious one out of the way, So many SSDs and its not even like they are high capacity. Man make your life easy and go with 1 4TB SATA SSD. I think 1000 watt should be fine but you can still verify from micro center's website. You can just put your specs there just like pcpartpiker and it would give optimal PSU on the right side on the same page. BTW you've got some crazy hardware in that list.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No. These will not run the fans at 100%. These will run the fans at the speed the red headers gets sent as an input. The power connector is there to make sure that there is enough power to run all the fans at the expected speed that the motherboard asks for.

If this solution will allow me to regulate 3-pin fans, that would solve the issue. Everything I have read on that says these hubs just run 3-pins at 100%. If you are actually able to adjust speed with those, I would definitely look at that suggesting.

8 minutes ago, Battleaxe_26 said:

Let's get the obvious one out of the way, So many SSDs and its not even like they are high capacity. Man make your life easy and go with 1 4TB SATA SSD

1 hour ago, Goonygoon84 said:

14 minutes ago, Battleaxe_26 said:

I think 1000 watt should be fine

Thank you. Micro Center didn't have any of the parts listed. EVGA, CoolerMaster, and a few other calculators all recommended about 5-10W above my peak power draw, so I don't trust them. at all.

16 minutes ago, Goonygoon84 said:

If this solution will allow me to regulate 3-pin fans, that would solve the issue. Everything I have read on that says these hubs just run 3-pins at 100%. If you are actually able to adjust speed with those, I would definitely look at that suggesting.

Plenty of 3 pin ones out there too using one right now for my whole system works like a charm. Just gotta get the right one. Also why those old noctua's? The arctic p12's are cheaper a bit better as quiet and pwm and not brown. If you can I recommend you return them.

1000-1600 watt.

It is all up to what is in stock that is quality.

TODAY

One corsair and some expensive superflowers

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare?CompareItemList=9SIAMNPB0A4085%2C9SIAMNPBX97601%2C17-139-204%2C9SIAMNPC0F2629

Yeah, don't trust any of the calculators, the 3080 and 3090 have peak transient loads that are off the charts.

https://www.fcpowerup.com/nvidia-3090-power/

To close out this topic:

I have just bought an EVGA Supernova T2 1600W PSU that should more than cover my needs. Thank you to all that suggested wattage. More than enough there for a SLI 3090 for ridiculousness sake when they are actually available.

I have also started the process of returning the Noctua P12s and am replacing them with Arctic P12 PWM PSTs. I am keeping the case though, @jaslion :P . I also have a couple fan hubs coming as well.

I'll get this build together to show off sometime in mid-late January.  Thank you all.

2 minutes ago, Goonygoon84 said:

To close out this topic:

I have just bought an EVGA Supernova T2 1600W PSU that should more than cover my needs. Thank you to all that suggested wattage. More than enough there for a SLI 3090 for ridiculousness sake when they are actually available.

I have also started the process of returning the Noctua P12s and am replacing them with Arctic P12 PWM PSTs. I am keeping the case though, @jaslion :P . I also have a couple fan hubs coming as well.

I'll get this build together to show off sometime in mid-late January.  Thank you all.

Do watch out with that 1600w psu that you don't run into the issue of low efficiency due to the system not consuming enough power at idle. Unless you don't really care about electric costs then go for it :p. If you just mesh the whole front then you basically solve the biggest issue the case has (and use the stock 200mm fans) then you can just make the spacing at the top larger for exit rads and call it quits. Should do the trick well enough.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Do watch out with that 1600w psu that you don't run into the issue of low efficiency due to the system not consuming enough power at idle. Unless you don't really care about electric costs then go for it :p. If you just mesh the whole front then you basically solve the biggest issue the case has (and use the stock 200mm fans) then you can just make the spacing at the top larger for exit rads and call it quits. Should do the trick well enough.

Yeah, I will be making larger and more perforated gaps on the top and front to allow plenty of airflow. They are going to be replaced with copper plates with copper pipe risers to match the copper hardline throughout the build. Should be fun. Not to worried about electricity, more going for silence than efficiency.

3 minutes ago, Goonygoon84 said:

Yeah, I will be making larger and more perforated gaps on the top and front to allow plenty of airflow. They are going to be replaced with copper plates with copper pipe risers to match the copper hardline throughout the build. Should be fun. Not to worried about electricity, more going for silence than efficiency.

What will your rad setup be btw? A single 360mm rad is enough for both the cpu and 3090 with half speed fans no problem. So just having rads on top would be plenty good for symmetry and cal it quits there as you really don't need more cooling.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

What will your rad setup be btw? A single 360mm rad is enough for both the cpu and 3090 with half speed fans no problem. So just having rads on top would be plenty good for symmetry and cal it quits there as you really don't need more cooling.

Overkill is the name of the game with this build, I have 2x Black Ice Nemesis 480GTS in the top and a 360GTS in the front. If there is about to be a "Why".. there is no why, mostly it is for looks. Haha. This is going to be a forever case, so I am building out all components for about 15 years worth of upgrading. Cooling should never be an issue.

1 minute ago, Goonygoon84 said:

Overkill is the name of the game with this build, I have 2x Black Ice Nemesis 480GTS in the top and a 360GTS in the front. If there is about to be a "Why".. there is no why, mostly it is for looks. Haha. This is going to be a forever case, so I am building out all components for about 15 years worth of upgrading. Cooling should never be an issue.

Fair enough. If there is a why it's a why not at this point. If you have the budget go for it. Just do the usual make sure everything is proper copper, anti bacterial agent and maybe a anti copper oxidation thing.

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Fair enough. If there is a why it's a why not at this point. If you have the budget go for it. Just do the usual make sure everything is proper copper, anti bacterial agent and maybe a anti copper oxidation thing.

All my copper is coming from reputable plumbing suppliers. As for fluid, I am looking to go with the Premochill Vue for starters. If that mucks up I will flush and just go with a distilled water based pre-mix.