Can a 7th or 6th gen processor work on a 9th and 8th gen supported motherboard?

JohsM69

I recently bought new ram and the motherboard only supports up to 2133 mhz worth (ram), so my first thought was just to upgrade the motherboard just that my CPU is a 7th gen I5-7500 cpu. So i was just wondering if it can work with a 8th/9th gen supported motherboard. 

6 minutes ago, JohsM69 said:

I recently bought new ram and the motherboard only supports up to 2133 mhz worth (ram), so my first thought was just to upgrade the motherboard just that my CPU is a 7th gen I5-7500 cpu. So i was just wondering if it can work with a 8th/9th gen supported motherboard. 

It wouldn't work. It's a purely software limitation from intel, but it is not possible unless you get a BiOS hacked motherboard.

4 minutes ago, JohsM69 said:

No, a 7th gen processor will not work with an 8th gen compatible motherboard. Intel is very notorious in that case. They release a new chipset for every two generations and cut off support for previous generation chipset. You will need a 200 series motherboard chipset to make it work with your seventh gen processor. You can try the used market. I don't think you will be able to buy a 200 series chipset motherboard now.

Unless you're using a modded BIOS it'll not work, if they're pin compatible then it can but again you'll have to tweak the BIOS to make it work.

Intel are not know for intergenerational compatibility, even amongst refresh generations. There are maybe a few exceptions but these are not the norm.

New motherboards are not overly expensive, like GPUs are so it isnt the end of the world but they will take up some of any upgrade budget so plan carefully.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv