Rainbow Six Siege only works in vulkan mode. Default has unplayable frames

Go to solution Solved by robotsalad,

I HAD T-AA ON WITH LIKE 60 PERCENT RENDER SCALE. I AM AN IDIOT. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE LOVE U GUYS.

I have tried a few of the fixes for this and am afraid maybe my GPU (XFX 5700 XT Thicc II) is the culprit. The temperatures are always good though. However, most of the time, even when idle, radeon desktop app thing reports at least 90% VRAM utilization. If i'm running a game it is always over 100% which is ridiculous. No other game has any issues. I have reinstalled the game. Maybe one of you has had this issue or can point me in the direction of a fix I have not tried.

I have tried :

Disable Full Screen Optimizations

Update Graphics Drivers

Closing all programs

Delete temp files

Power settings

21 minutes ago, robotsalad said:

I have tried a few of the fixes for this and am afraid maybe my GPU (XFX 5700 XT Thicc II) is the culprit. The temperatures are always good though. However, most of the time, even when idle, radeon desktop app thing reports at least 90% VRAM utilization. If i'm running a game it is always over 100% which is ridiculous. No other game has any issues. I have reinstalled the game. Maybe one of you has had this issue or can point me in the direction of a fix I have not tried.

I have tried :

Disable Full Screen Optimizations

Update Graphics Drivers

Closing all programs

Delete temp files

Power settings

Vulkan performs better anyway on more than 4 cores.

11 minutes ago, Joseph K said:

Vulkan performs better anyway on more than 4 cores.

thank you but yeah my frames were not unplayable before with this same card. i'm talking like 10-40 fps constant.

50 minutes ago, Breeksta said:

make sure your BIOS is up to date. You said your temps were good and I'm sure they are but gamers nexus noted that the thermal pads on the pre-release Thicc II 5700 cards often do not make full contact. (53) Worst One Yet: XFX RX 5700 XT THICC II Ultra Review | Do Not Buy - YouTube

i will check on the bios, thank you. i THINK my card is one of the newer ones where they fixed the contact issues and added some copper but i will also try to make sure that's the case too.

28 minutes ago, robotsalad said:

thank you but yeah my frames were not unplayable before with this same card. i'm talking like 10-40 fps constant.

My point is, if the game is playable on Vulkan then I don't see the point in not playing on it.

6 minutes ago, Joseph K said:

My point is, if the game is playable on Vulkan then I don't see the point in not playing on it.

vulkan doesn't seem to run great either. there is more blur in the background or it even loads scenes in a lower resolution. or maybe that's just another side effect of the issue. frames don't drop in vulkan so I do use it at the moment. would like to fix the issue though. thanks for reply

• 1 month later...

I HAD T-AA ON WITH LIKE 60 PERCENT RENDER SCALE. I AM AN IDIOT. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE LOVE U GUYS.