Best Thermal Paste?

Go to solution Solved by Tan3l6,

Kryonaut is top of the line. The temperature difference between similar products is quite low.

4 minutes ago, RokenPrice said:

When my previous MB died and I had to replace, I got liquid metal. Haven't looked back, and much easier to apply than paste.

You did clean the surfaces and spread the liquid metal with a cotton swab or something and did not worry that the liquid metal is electrically very conductive?

Liquid metal belongs under CPU with easily removable IHS-s.

Correctly applying liquid metal is much more difficult. With paste it's just a ricegrain sized portion in the middle of the IHS and ready to go.

I am using stock thermal paste that was on my 240mm h100 pro rgb and I am not happy with the temperatures during gaming i can see as high as 80* C on cyberpunk. Averaging between 70-80.

I am considering buying new thermal paste such as the Kryonaught Thermal Paste. https://www.amazon.ca/Thermal-Grizzly-Kryonaut-Grease-Paste/dp/B011F7W3LU/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=kryonaught+thermal+paste&qid=1608749538&sr=8-8 Heard good things about this stuff and seems to drop temps by around 4 degrees in most benchmarks I've watched. What thermal paste would you guys recommend for the absolute best temperatures possible.I was also considering buying a new AIO perhaps a 360mm rad instead of 240m, what aio would you guys choose if you were to upgrade the cooler? Thanks 

• CPU                   i9 9900k
  • Motherboard
    MSI MPG Z390M Gaming Edge AC LGA1151
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 LED Desktop Memory, Black
  • GPU
    GTX 2080 ti MSI Trio
  • Case
    Cooler Master Masterbox 5 Mid-Tower Case
  • Storage
    500gb 960 evo, 2 tb Black SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 750W GOLD edition

When my previous MB died and I had to replace, I got liquid metal. Haven't looked back, and much easier to apply than paste.

Kryonaut is top of the line. The temperature difference between similar products is quite low.

4 minutes ago, RokenPrice said:

You did clean the surfaces and spread the liquid metal with a cotton swab or something and did not worry that the liquid metal is electrically very conductive?

Correctly applying liquid metal is much more difficult. With paste it's just a ricegrain sized portion in the middle of the IHS and ready to go.

I edit my posts more often than not

14 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I've been building my own computers since I hacked an Amiga 1200 into a PC tower case (probably more correct to say I hacksawed the case to make it fit), and I'm more than capable of applying both thermal paste and liquid metal in a safe manner. :)

3 minutes ago, RokenPrice said:

I've been building my own computers since I hacked an Amiga 1200 into a PC tower case (probably more correct to say I hacksawed the case to make it fit), and I'm more than capable of applying both thermal paste and liquid metal in a safe manner. :)

And what makes putting a tiny amount of paste in the middle of the IHS more difficult than spreading the lm to both sides - IHS and cooler base?

Of course lm is better conductor by far, yet applying it is not nearly as easy as regular paste, also by far.

I edit my posts more often than not

liquid metal has the best thermal transfer charaterisitics for above freezing cooling, downside is it's electrically conductive and can run/drip if too much used. Typically used between die and ihs, where optimal thermal transfer matters most and risks are more limited.
Good pastes like TG hydronaut tend to perform within a few degrees of LM when used between the ihs and cooler, so LM usually not considered worth the risks.
9900k was a mixed bag for the sTIM (soldered die to ihs) some run rather hot (I know this isn't incredibly helpful since delidding is risky, but fyi)

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W