MINI ITX 2 M.2 SSDS and 1 SATA SSD

sean-MINI-ITX-FANBOY

Hi i plan on making a new build with an ASUS B550-I or an ASUS X570-I motherboard and i planned on using 2 m.2 ssds and 1 sata ssd (1 boot drive, 1 game drive, and 1 other drive) I know its a bit overkilll but its a dream build and having a lot of space has been a dream of mine. Anyway I just read online that when you use m.2 ssds the motherboard limits power to the sata ssd ports making it unusable sometimes, so given my planned build I tried reading the manuals of the motherboard to see the information but I havent found anything regarding this. Hope you guys can illuminate whether I should just use 2 m.2 ssds or if i can use my dream build without having a big issue. Thanks guys. 

Some MoBo makes it where if you use a SATA m.2 in the M.2, one SATA port will be disabled and unusable for each SATA M.2. But if you have NVMe, I don't think it does this.

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

27 minutes ago, sean-MINI-ITX-FANBOY said:

big issue

if you use both m.2 slots, then depending on the board you will lose a regular sata port or your x16 pci will get reduced to 8x.  However the MB manu. decides to do it,  is in the manual.

I use just the one m.2 slot, The 4 sata slots, and then a expansion sata 6g card and a USB 3.1 drive bay for quick swapping

1 hour ago, TylerDurden! said:

if you use both m.2 slots, then depending on the board you will lose a regular sata port or your x16 pci will get reduced to 8x.  However the MB manu. decides to do it,  is in the manual.

I use just the one m.2 slot, The 4 sata slots, and then a expansion sata 6g card and a USB 3.1 drive bay for quick swapping

hi my dude i read the manual of both mobos and theres nothing specified regarding using m.2 slots. thats why i dont know what t odo

2 hours ago, sean-MINI-ITX-FANBOY said:

turn the pcie into a 4x 

that is correct, that is the speed a nvme drive would run at. 

The 570 chipset looks like it will let you use both m.2 slots without crippling your other available sata ports.

ok my dude thanks for the answer! I will get the x570 then. It might be a bit more expensive but hey this is a dream build no reason to limit if I plan on taking a year to build it. Much thanks my good Sir!  Have a merry xmas